Oh. My. GOD. This new trailer!

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Hmmm, personally I think it does make more sense that President Shinra would appear through hologram during that scene, rather than risking his life by appearing in person like the OG. Also I doubt people outside the reactor are able to see/hear said hologram projection.

That's a fair point, it does make sense for him to not risk his life. I just always felt that conversation happening in-person was a sign of just how little of a threat he actually thought Avalanche were. Like he wasn't actually worried by them in the slightest.

Of course, if he wasn't at all worried by them, then it wouldn't really make sense for him to bother to to meet them in the first place. After all, he had a dinner to attend...

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
President Shinra isn't assuming that Avalanche is working on behalf of Wutai. He's taunting Avalanche through the implication that Shinra will "spin" the media to report/designate Avalanche as foreign agents, probably to stir up public sentiment against, as well as giving the Shinra Corporation more "excuse" to flex their authority both in Midgar and abroad in Wutai.
Though I agree President Shinra's spinning doesn't mean/indicate that the war is still going on either.

Though I have no idea why President Shinra will bother linking AVALANCHE with Wutai, I do enjoy the idea of Shinra using AVALANCHE as puppets for a longer political game. Maybe this will somehow tie into the Neo-Midgar plan which exists only as a one-line reference in the OG and that's never brought up again?

President Shinra
“We're not rebuilding.”​
Reeve
“What?”​
President Shinra
“We're leaving Sector 7 as it is.”​
“And restarting the Neo-Midgar plan.”​

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Though I have no idea why President Shinra will bother linking AVALANCHE with Wutai, I do enjoy the idea of Shinra using AVALANCHE as puppets for a longer political game. Maybe this will somehow tie into the Neo-Midgar plan which exists only as a one-line reference in the OG and that's never brought up again?

President Shinra
“We're not rebuilding.”​
Reeve
“What?”​
President Shinra
“We're leaving Sector 7 as it is.”​
“And restarting the Neo-Midgar plan.”​
It would be cool if we see inklings of how Shinra was gonna spin a mass migration to Neo-Midgar to the public, using AVALANCHE and Wutai for fearmongering.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
My question is to what end? Shinra wants ppl to think all is well, they are safe, the Company provides them with a paradise. Control through fear is more his son’s thing.
Rufus was about using fear, specifically fear of Shinra. Shinra Sr. exploited fear, but not so that people would be afraid of the Shinra Corporation but of scapegoats who would “threaten” said safety/paradise. Dropping the Sector 7 plate and blaming Avalanche is example of Shinra Sr. using fear of an “other” for his ends. And spinning Wutai dissidents into that, is inline with said mentality.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Rufus was about using fear, specifically fear of Shinra. Shinra Sr. exploited fear, but not so that people would be afraid of the Shinra Corporation but of scapegoats who would “threaten” said safety/paradise. Dropping the Sector 7 plate and blaming Avalanche is example of Shinra Sr. using fear of an “other” for his ends. And spinning Wutai dissidents into that, is inline with said mentality.

That's a great argument, Theozilla. The other main argument I'm getting is "Shinra sincerely believes AVALANCHE is from Wutai because of BC or sommat" :monster:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
That's a great argument, Theozilla. The other main argument I'm getting is "Shinra sincerely believes AVALANCHE is from Wutai because of BC or sommat" :monster:
I don't think Shinra sincerely believes AVALANCHE is from Wutai/backed by them, especially because of the phrasing Shinra Sr. and Heidegger use. Shinra Sr. saying "henceforth" is indicating that's what Shinra is going to label Avalanche as, and Heidegger saying "You still don't understand your role in this" is definitely a mocking/belittling statement, not an accusatory one.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i'm not feeling the english cast tbh

also, why is cloud not wearing a dress. aerith is wearing her wall market dress and in the original game cloud is already in his dress, but in this trailer he's wearing his regular outfit. did they just keep him in his normal outfit for the trailer to not ruin the surprise.

Foz

Rookie Adventurer
I personally love the new VA's. Especially Barrets. Aerith is pretty good too. I was a little taken away by Reno though. He sounded a little awkward but I'm sure it'll probably grow on me once the game is released and it's given a fair chance. Probably wasn't the best scenes to choose to highlight the new guys work.

Still trying to figure out if Don Corneo is Luke Skywalker or not. I've listened to that short 4 seconds of Dons appearance like 50 times already and he sounds very similar to Hamill.

also, why is cloud not wearing a dress. aerith is wearing her wall market dress and in the original game cloud is already in his dress, but in this trailer he's wearing his regular outfit. did they just keep him in his normal outfit for the trailer to not ruin the surprise.

Probably.

Enthralll

Lv. 1 Adventurer
How is Shinra surmising that they're working on behalf of Wutai equate to him "spinning" AVALANCHE to be for Wutai?

Also, assuming a tiny terrorist group is inspired by Wutai hardly means the war is still going.
I think it's a lie. People probably resent Wutai for the war claiming their loved ones so this is Shinra poisoning the well.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm just going to repost my thoughts from one thread into this one. I'll use a spoiler tag though.

The voice acting in this trailer is awkward. Reno's "Now it's my turn!" is especially weak to me. When the Keepers of Fate are attacking, the bodies of Barret and company appear distressed, but their voices sound like someone acting distressed, like it's just placed over the action. I've always been critical of SE's English voice direction and I'm afraid that'll continue here.

Really digging Rude's suit, though I'm bothered that his skin tone isn't darker.

Seeing the train's security scan is nice. Took me a moment to figure out what it was. We've come a long way from just flashing the screen red!

Also love seeing Eligor and any continued use of FF7's archaic enemy designs.

What has me most excited is President Shinra namedropping Wutai. This further backs any theories that Shinra is indirectly assisting AVALANCHE for their own gain: sowing fear into the populace. Twisting AVALANCHE's activism to being a threat from an old enemy will make citizens believe in the necessity of Shinra and SOLDIER even more.

Overall I'm hyped!

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Rude's FF7R PAK seems to be the correct level of skin-tone.

lRQQpur.jpg

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Seeing how vehemently Barret denies being allied with Wutai, it makes me look forward to his interactions with Yuffie in (presumably) Part 2 onward given his apparent distaste for her homeland. Should be more interesting and complex than in the OG, especially with Shinra using fear of Wutai the way they seem to be doing for their own ends.

Hopefully they'll drop another trailer by the end of TGS like they did with E3 and we'll get a peek at Red XIII, Rufus, and Wall Market Tifa. We saw Hundred Gunner in this trailer, so I'd say it's a decent possibility that we'll see Red in the next one, given that they took a similar approach with Tifa - revealed parts of the Aps fight in two trailers, then finally revealed her with more of that same fight in the E3 trailer.

Another thing I noticed when watching the trailer more slowly was that during the Sector 7 pillar segment where AVALANCHE is climbing the pillar, there are a couple quick shots of what might be from Biggs' and Wedge's last stands - nothing conclusive, of course, but bits that show them on their own apart from the others and fighting Shinra soldiers as though they were staying behind to give Barret and Jess time to reach the top. The shot of Biggs with his gun, for instance, and Wedge facing the soldiers alone. But they showed no such moment for Jessie. The last they showed of her in that scene, she was heading with Barret up the stairs, which follows the OG, where you find her near the top.

But as they never showed her alone at any time during that sequence the way they did with Biggs and Wedge, it's possible that her end in particular is something they're really trying to make emotional and gutwrenching since they didn't give any hint of it like they did for the guys. She's gotten more dialogue and screen time in the trailers than they have, so it seems SE's wanting us to get attached to her, which would make her loss hit that much harder when it happens, especially since we'll have more time with her and the guys in the game than we did in the OG. So Jessie may end up having the "Aerith moment" of Remake Part 1, if you know what I mean. Not at the hands of Sephy, obviously, but Shinra's forces. Or maybe even Reno, at some point after he jumps off the helicopter and starts fighting with Cloud. I guess we'll find out in March. In any case, it's going to be a hard moment no matter how it happens.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
In the hologram, at first there's President Shinra, then Heiddeger? I think that's also new (and makes sense, President Shinra's speech about Air Buster in OG is weird).

And VAs are good! Except for Jessie's. Her VA is crap.

Tifa's face is still weird, too.

Top Bottom