• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Opinions on Having a New Game+

Should there be a New Game+

• Total voters

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I, for one, would really like to see the FFVII Remake get a New Game+

It gives a good way to go back through the game and dig into all the little bits and pieces of things that you may have missed without being overly concerned about the combat, and it also lets you have options for carrying through past progress and make you want to replay the game and try out new things, or have unlockables and other things that don't make sense to get within the primary game, in addition to giving a platform that's a little removed for some of the Compilation stuff that it'd be cool to interact with, but aren't within the OG's story.

For example:
• Unlocking Advent Children costumes & weapons for the characters.
• Unlocks much tougher optional bosses with your party that don't match their canon defeats (Jade Weapon, Zirconiade, Omega, etc.)
• Unlocks access to extra Compilation whatever that takes place outside of the story of the OG, or post-conclusion to Sephiroth's threat.
> New secret dungeon with ridiculously tough enemies (Deepground)
> New town with extra stores, etc. (Edge)

What say ye?

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
I wouldn't mind NG+, but I am 100% against any sort of challenge being gated behind it. Cosmetic stuff is fine (like costumes), but I hate having to play a game twice to experience everything (looking at you Type-0, FFX-2).

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I meant that that sort of thing is unlocked from the get-go (well, at least as soon as you get the ability to wander Midgar), which is another reason why Deepground & Edge were my choices of locations. If you're not tough enough to get through everything when you start the NG+ you can keep playing to level up, and always make your way back, but everything is (essentially) always somewhere that you can get to right from the start.

That way it isn't really much more than a single playthrough. Nothing that requires you to complete the game again during NG+ and THEN get access to the new terrible dungeon, etc. etc.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Agree with Lex. Everything meaningful should be available in one playthrough. Usually the last thing I want to do after beating a game is to go back and play it again, and when I eventually come back to it I always like to start afresh. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever completed a New Game+ in any game. No from me.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
@Flintlock: Go read the poast I made just before yours to see if you still feel the same way. I never mentioned needing to beat the game a second time.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I'd rather them do something like they did with KH - rerelease all the other games remade one disk - so an HD version of Crisis Core, Dirge (even though it sucked) and maybe a remake of Before Crisis (although I acknowledge that would be intensive) - but keep all that as extra stuff - separate from FFVII itself.

Then maybe if all does really well - finally finish the compilation with a worthy sequel - if such at thing is possible - or just a sequel.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Then what did you mean by "unlock" in your original post?

At the start of a New Game+ all of the optional side stuff is unlocked.

This is so that you can't go places like Deepground or Edge during the first playthrough, since that's meant to be the definitive canon version of the story. The New Game+ makes sure you've been through the whole story and you know it as is, so that now you can interact with the other Compilation-related things that aren't a part of its story-arc, but are a part of the main world in FFVII.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Fair enough. The way you wrote your response made it sound like you'd have to complete the game once, and then get all the way through a New Game+ again, before accessing the additional content.

I suppose some games offer a "keep playing after you beat the final boss" option, which is sorta the same thing in terms of unlocking extra combat content like optional dungeons -- which would be a totally acceptable option as well, but isn't one I ever think of. That's probably 'cause I'm more familiar with all that stuff being in NG+, because my roommate plays through the Tales games' NG+ that act like that, and beats them multiple times.

Lex

Administrator
^I wouldn't mind the addition of Compilation stuff in NG+, but I'd prefer it even more if there was a Mass Effect 2 style thing where upon completing the game you're dumped back on the Highwind and can go do all the optional stuff. I mean, we know the planet survives so I wouldn't mind that.

It'll be really interesting to see what they do with the ending honestly.

However, I think we might be overestimating what they're going to do. If they add a Deepground optional dungeon, cool. If they add it and we lose say... Bone Village, I'm not cool with that. I feel like additional content is always going to come at the expense of other stuff.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
You want to talk game gating with New Game +, it's Lightning Returns. But yeah I'm obnoxious about New Game +. I feel it can breathe a whole new life into the game, especially from the catharsis of absolutely destroying the bosses who gave you trouble the first time around.

I know it was mentioned before but I feel like FFX-2 handled New Game+ quite well. You have the alternate story if you want to, you can unlock some of the best gear, and of course continue leveling your various Jobs. I know FFX-2 was a terrible story, with terrible characters, but I thought the gameplay was really really fun and New Game + really helped.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
^I wouldn't mind the addition of Compilation stuff in NG+, but I'd prefer it even more if there was a Mass Effect 2 style thing where upon completing the game you're dumped back on the Highwind and can go do all the optional stuff. I mean, we know the planet survives so I wouldn't mind that.

See, I'd love that, too. It just literally didn't occur to me as an option, because I always think: End Boss. Credits. Transfer to NG+ to play again, and try more things. xD

It'll be really interesting to see what they do with the ending honestly.

Agreed. It's what I'm most curious about since the original was so ambiguous, and this one isn't as much. I'm still expecting the Nanaki & kids as the aftercredit no matter what.

However, I think we might be overestimating what they're going to do. If they add a Deepground optional dungeon, cool. If they add it and we lose say... Bone Village, I'm not cool with that. I feel like additional content is always going to come at the expense of other stuff.

See, I don't feel that way at all. Given the fact that most RPGs now have so much more content to them, I think that taking away anything -- especially whole locations -- doesn't really make sense. With it being a remake the key is remaking everything, and the supplemental stuff is just that.

Especially because something like a Deepground dungeon COULD be done as additional DLC, whereas Bone Village couldn't. That's also why I think about that stuff as being NG+, because it makes it clear that they're all in ADDITION to the main game, and not filling in space that pushes out other things from the main game.

You want to talk game gating with New Game +, it's Lightning Returns. But yeah I'm obnoxious about New Game +. I feel it can breathe a whole new life into the game, especially from the catharsis of absolutely destroying the bosses who gave you trouble the first time around.

I love destroying old pain-in-the-ass bosses with ultra-strong parties on NG+.

I know it was mentioned before but I feel like FFX-2 handled New Game+ quite well. You have the alternate story if you want to, you can unlock some of the best gear, and of course continue leveling your various Jobs. I know FFX-2 was a terrible story, with terrible characters, but I thought the gameplay was really really fun and New Game + really helped.

I... should familiarize myself with X-2, since I've never played it, but it comes up a lot when talking about the remake.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
All this talk of NG+ Ideas and not a single mention of the Souls series NG+1-9 lol.

Would be cool if it went full on Souls style NG+ where everytime you beat it and played again the monsters got stronger, faster etc. Heck even monster and item placement changes completely from NG to NG.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I hate having to play a game twice to experience everything

This. :monster:

NG+ would be good if it gave you the chance to play it on an ultra difficult setting or unlock small Easter eggs or something. I wouldn't mind just being given control again after the final boss/ending/what-have-you in order to roam around and complete side quests and whatnot.

Either way, I have a feeling I'm going to play the remake more than once. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't generally associate New Game + having exclusive story content. I thought Type-0 was faily unique in that way, but I could be wrong.

In the way I always though New Game +s were? Absolutely.

Ghost X

I'm not against it. A good way to get replay value. However, if they are going to do that, they should split the game into chapters or something, if completing challenges requires multiple playthroughs.

Lex

Administrator
^Absofuckinglutely not. I despise this. That is the number one thing I hate about games with NG+, they're always arbitrarily split into chapters. I don't like chapters for FF games, it feels wrong and it makes the game feel shorter even when it's not. There's no need for it.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm not against NG+ but I don't particularly care about it in long games like FF. It makes sense for the likes of DMC or Bayonetta imo where the games are shorter and divided into chapters.

RPGs are so long that once I'm done, I'm done for a long while and don't have the desire to jump back in right away. And when I do decide to replay, I'd want the proper experience again and not the "you already unlocked everything so have fun being a God of Destruction(tm) from the very start".

So it'd be a nice thing to have because why not, most likely I just wouldn't really use it.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I'm reminded of the Parasite Eve game that had the EX Game after you beaten it. It would be interesting if it was like that to some extent.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I agree with Lex. "Chapters" are an outmoded concept for gaming. It only works in FPS because there's rarely an open world connecting the various locations.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I think NG+ would be neat for all you guys that played the original game dozens of times and could probably breeze through it blindfolded; the same game, but more challenging / difficult. Actually, they could just jam some difficulty levels in there - no KotR spam or other overpowered shit at those levels.

What they could also do for NG+ is run the game with certain rules / limitations, like people already self-impose (like, no magic, lvl 1 characters, etc). If they could link that to an online scoreboard thing or achievements/trophies it'd add another layer of challenges to it.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'm reminded of the Parasite Eve game that had the EX Game after you beaten it. It would be interesting if it was like that to some extent.

This is exactly what I was thinking of, with Deepground being the equivalent of the Chrysler Building.

Top Bottom