Original Final Fantasy story...

Bonaventura

Carpe Diem
AKA
G's Apple
Well... let's just say I have this idea in my mind about writing an original Final Fantasy fanfic story, set in an original world with an original characters and of course, with a slightly cliche plot. I have a few questions regarding this:

1.As a Final Fantasy story, what are the most important FF things or elements that should be included?

2.RPG cliches (like monsters dropping items or money, or someone calling out ''Fuck, my MP is consumed, throw me an Ether!'')... a good thing or just mentioned once in a while for a laugh?

3.Who would be more conformable reading it... FF fans or 'normal' people?

Or... ah, what the hell... discuss. :monster:

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
Well, what exactly would distinguish this as an original "Final Fantasy" story as opposed to just an original fantasy story?

1. Chocobos and a guy named Cid are mandatory. Acquiring an airship at some point would be preferable. The world must also be in danger at the hands of an evil supervillain but saved by a ragtag group of heroes who meet each other along the way, of course, but I imagine you were including that in "slightly cliché plot"

2. No, it breaks the fourth wall and therefore the immersion of the story.

3. It depends on how much knowledge of Final Fantasy becomes necessary to read it. But since it's an original story, you could probably appeal to both groups, and maybe even turn the latter into the former.

Bonaventura

Carpe Diem
AKA
G's Apple
[quote author=Ravynne link=topic=412.msg12244#msg12244 date=1233203420]Well, what exactly would distinguish this as an original "Final Fantasy" story as opposed to just an original fantasy story?[/quote]
For the most time, FF elements that are recognizable amongst RPG gamers. I guess you can't see an Ifrit or Shiva summon in every other RPG besides FF, as well as magic levels, if we go by standards of FF (Fire, Fira, Firaga etc.) or Chocobos or Moogles (while they may be similar in some games, they have different names and such).

Also, most fantasy stories take place in a magical medieval world, while FF can combine science into it as well, making it similar to our world (I can't say I've seen much fantasy stories with advanced technology out of FF, but that's probably my fault).

And character development. Since I'm a perfectionist, I would try to develop them in the same way by confronting them with their fears along the flow of the story, while the baddies are still out there, alive and kickin'.

[quote author=Ravynne link=topic=412.msg12244#msg12244 date=1233203420]1. Chocobos and a guy named Cid are mandatory. Acquiring an airship at some point would be preferable. The world must also be in danger at the hands of an evil supervillain but saved by a ragtag group of heroes who meet each other along the way, of course, but I imagine you were including that in "slightly cliché plot"[/quote]
Yeah, I agree with these points, as well as I would include a short one week victory for the villain, until the characters can get back together and finally kick his ass xD

[quote author=Ravynne link=topic=412.msg12244#msg12244 date=1233203420]2. No, it breaks the fourth wall and therefore the immersion of the story.[/quote]
Good point.

[quote author=Ravynne link=topic=412.msg12244#msg12244 date=1233203420]3. It depends on how much knowledge of Final Fantasy becomes necessary to read it. But since it's an original story, you could probably appeal to both groups, and maybe even turn the latter into the former.[/quote]
I thought that as well, though I was quite divided; fear of FF fans complaining how it resembles other FF and non-FF readers who wouldn't get it at all.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
Bonaventura said:
I thought that as well, though I was quite divided; fear of FF fans complaining how it resembles other FF and non-FF readers who wouldn't get it at all.
You may get those groups, but you're bound to get some in the group of people who enjoy it, as well. =) Just try to use the criticisms of the first two to improve what you're doing, but write for the third group.

Bonaventura

Carpe Diem
AKA
G's Apple
Title: Final Fantasy - The Evangelion

Rating: Hopefully, T…

Genre: Mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, comedy, drama, adventure, game, romance…

Year: Believe it or not, 4014 A.C.P

Disclaimer: I own the plot, the characters and the world. The only things I don’t own are Final Fantasy themed objects and elements that are present in every game in the series (magic, summons, Crystals, Gil and so on).

Setting: Planet Naussica, a planet with a mixed era of Baroque, Enlightenment, Renaissance, Modern age with a streak of Medieval plus some fantasy and science fiction. It’s a pretty messed up world of eras; even I barely follow the progress.

Summary: In the world called Naussica, a supposedly corrupted and hierarchal church named Cathedral controls the planet. It is said that a long time ago, five Goddesses of War created Naussica and bestowed people with the Blessing of their individual abilities and powers. The Cathedral made military establishments out of these people, the Orders, categorizing them into Knights, Sharpshooters, Healers, Summoners and Black Artisans. There had been a long lasting rebel faction toward the church, known as the N.W.N. or Naussica World News. The rebels believe that the Cathedral teachings are poison to the world and used mainly to manipulate power into their own benefit, as well as keeping the world at bay.

The story begins when a flirty and laid back Sharpshooter causes a mischief on his mission and deserts from the church. His dreams were to leave the Cathedral and join forces with the mysterious agent of the N.W.N., the Black Phantom. But his actions unknowingly pull two other members of his team into desertion as well; a stoic and distant Summoner and an annoying, but kindhearted and shy Healer in training. The two at first hesitate, but decide to join forces with the Sharpshooter, as they can’t return back to Cathedral in this state… and when the Black Phantom is found, an interesting surprise will come upon them!

What it seemed like a simple desertion and rebellion toward the church, it slowly begins to grow into a fight for the world. The unknown and heartbreaking pasts are revealed and the burden is heavier then they imagined… can they resolve their fears and save the world from an unknown force? Or will the world be thrown into an age of darkness once more?

Main characters:

The first few main characters who will be introduced in the first few chapters;

Ayden Raines ~ a 20 year old Sharpshooter, a popular and cheered up fellow with a tendency of daydreaming, he cracks jokes and flirts, but his devotion to his friends is great. Brave, but somewhat distracted and lazy, he has dreamed of leaving the Cathedral since young age, to join the rebellion and help them in their fight. To do that, he wants to find the Black Phantom first, to convince him and aid him in his fight. After a mischief on his mission that he caused, he accidentally drags two other members with him into desertion. He wields a part sniper and a part shotgun, ‘’Dream Catcher’’ and a revolver, ‘’Doppelganger’’.

Dominic Velasquez ~ a 21 year old Summoner of unknown past, he is stoic, calm, cool and very serious. He doesn’t talk much, but he always states his opinion, may it be good or bad. Thought he acts heartless and he doesn’t seem to care about anything, even he can take some words to heart. With a little time and patience, he can become a friend to anyone. With a promising career before him, it is suddenly shattered when they mistake him for a deserter because of his other team member, Ayden. At first he refused to go along, but after a convincement he decided to be dragged along. He wields a katana, ‘’Suiko’’ and a Summoners’ staff, ‘’Writher Staff’’.

Sienna ‘Sen’ Thalberg ~ a 16 year old Healer, who prefers to be called Sen. Seen as a shy, naïve, spoiled brat at first, there is much more in her heart then she allows showing. She is a nice, brave and dedicated person, who tries her best to protect others and not to be seen as a weak and useless person. On her first mission, she encounters a desertion, something she has never seen in her life. Like Dominic, she is mistaken for one because of Ayden. Because she doesn’t know what to do next, she decides to go with Ayden. She wields a Healers’ staff, ‘’Angel Guard’’.

Black Phantom* ~ an infamous N.W.N. agent, who opposes the Cathedral. Over the course of past years, he has become one of the most wanted people in Avalon, the church of Cathedral and a talk of most bounty hunters. According to speculation and witnesses, he hides his identity and being under a heavy black cloak. Nobody has ever seen his face; some even believe that he’s not even human. His name originated from a fact that he can disappear in a matter of seconds. But when the real face of the Black Phantom is finally revealed to the three deserters, a shocking surprise awaits them. He wields a blue sword, ‘’Nightingale’’.

*As for the Phantom… he is a very special character of mine. His identity will be only revealed right in front of the three deserters. I want to keep his identity a secret for a while, because I want it to be a surprise. And sure, some of you might be shocked, dazed, surprised, you might even faint… but I'm a badass that way. :duhard:

Trivia:

Here’s some trivia you might encounter in the story…

Dea Diapente ~ another word for the religion of the five war Goddesses (it might not be perfect Latin, but what the hell)

The five Goddesses of War
~ deities who were supposedly the founders of Naussica. They worked with other Gods and Goddesses, who helped them create this world.

The Blessing
~ a spiritual manifestation of abilities present in people’s souls, hearts and minds (magic, gunmanship or swordsmanship) that differ from one war Goddess to another. Every Goddess has one ability and people with the Blessing are usually discovered at young ages. Every Order has specific Goddesses, of whom they possess the abilities. The abilities can be learnt to control through hard training.

Crystals ~ tear shaped magic stones embodied with magical power. People without any specific Blessing, but with some magic power, can use the Crystals to cast magic or summon creatures, thought they cannot learn them. Other magical Orders, like Black Artisans or Healers can usually learn specific spells of their class naturally, but with the help of the Crystals, they can learn faster.

Crystalline ~ a more professional word for a summoned creature. Summoners, who use their magical power purely for summoning, learn the summons through special Crystals. The summons sealed in these Crystals can be learnt by Summoners, while they can be normally called out by other people. But to others, Crystallines can be more difficult to control than to those with the Blessing of summoning.

Magic ~ can be used by almost anyone, as long as they have some magic power. Some use the Crystals, some learn them naturally. Healers and Black Artisans are primary magic users, while Summoners use magic purely for summoning, but can also master the art of swordsmanship. The Knights use only the basic magic (Ice, Lightning, Fire), if at all, while the Order of the Sharpshooters is the only Order that cannot use magic naturally.
This is what came out of it over the course of year '08... god, I need a life. :monster:

Top Bottom