Orphan Black was the best show currently on television and why haven't you watched it yet?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Please, please, please tell me that somebody else here is watching this show.

Initial teaser trailer

Trailer for the marathon this Saturday (mildly spoilery with characters and such)

Also, (I'll spoiler tag these), but it's really worth checking out what happens on the show from a purely technical perspective, and all the character-specific acting that Tatiana pulls off without ever missing a beat. Worth watching after seeing the show at least 4-5 episodes in.

X :neo:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I have not seen it myself, but some of the people I follow on Tumblr have been saying nothing but good things about it. It's a dark mystery story involving clones or something, I think?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
How arc-based is it? I'm probably going to wait for the BBC to put season one up on Netflix or somewhere before I start watching, unless it's strictly a monster-of-the-week show.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
@Theozilla: Yes. I'd say that's a briefly adequate assumption. They're doing a marathon on BBC America this Saturday leading up to the season finale. You totally need to do whatever you can to check it out, so that I'll have the ability to chat with someone here with it. :D

@Aaron: Definitely not a monster-of-the-week show. It's REALLY intense writing. As I said, season final this week, so you can watch it straight through on Saturday if you're so inclined.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Oh, that's cool. I'll have to set TiVo to record it.

Great Justice! :monster:

Also, Tatiana Maslany is utterly phenomenal (spoilers at the link, but it's worth reading later). I'll hold off on chatting about any specifics until after Saturday, so everyone's got a proper chance to check it out. Oh, and I updated the OP with trailers. The first one's all you need to know to have an idea of what's going on. The second one's a bit spoilery in terms of some of the characters, but it's the one specific to the Marathon.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I have never even heard of this. D:

Well then I'm glad I could bring it to your attention.

Will add this to my list of Shit I Needs to Watch.

Rockin'. Game of Thrones is on that list, and I think I'm finally gonna get to start in on it this weekend.

Also, the show DID get renewed for a second season at the start of May, which makes me mega happy.

Lex

Administrator
So can someone give me a run down of the basic premise of the show? I don't have a clue what it's about.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Sarah is coming back into town and trying to make some quick cash, happens to run into a girl on a train platform moments before she jumps in front of the train. The girl who killed herself (Beth) looks exactly like her, so she plans on using the dead girl's identity to drain her accounts and get enough cash to bounce of out town with her daughter. However, while pretending to be Beth, she stumbles onto the fact that there are multiple other girls that look exactly like her - and all of them are in danger.

Everything sort of picks up from there. If you watch the first trailer in the OP, this should make sense now.

The first episode is a little slow, because it's all setup, but everything from the second episode on is relentless.

Lex

Administrator
No need to watch a trailer, I'm sold. I have nothing else to watch, so expect a post from me by tomorrow having watched all of the current episodes :D

EDIT: And I promise I'll watch Cloud Atlas ASAP soon too :P

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
No need to watch a trailer, I'm sold. I have nothing else to watch, so expect a post from me by tomorrow having watched all of the current episodes :D

EDIT: And I promise I'll watch Cloud Atlas ASAP soon too :P

Yay!!! Finally, I'll be able to gush about the show with someone!!!

Additionally stoked about you seeing Cloud Atlas. xD

Lex

Administrator
So I'm on Episode 5 - it's pretty gripping. The style of the show reminds me of the latest season of Torchwood. These British/ American amalgamations are WEIRD.

Because I don't watch a lot of TV in the UK (there are some excellent shows, I'm just more about crazy dramas like Supernatural, Grey's Anatomy, and I like more episodes in my seasons) it's always weird to see that British style of filming in a predominantly North American TV show.

I was also surprised to learn that it's filmed and also technically set in Canada (this makes sense to me, since the likelihood of Mrs S emigrating from the UK to the US as I had originally thought to foster children is not as realistic as the move to Canada - something a lot of British people do) and that Tatiana is Canadian! Might have been the BBC America tag on it, but I definitely assumed she was British. She does a good English accent.

It's good so far, she really does an excellent job with the clones. I can't help but think it must be exhausting work for her, she's doing about 3 times the work any other lead actress would have to do. Prominent gay male character is a bonus, even if he is a bit stereotypical. He's also really funny, and well written IMO. In the way of eye candy I thought I had a bit of a crush on Beth's boyfriend Paul (Dylan Bruce) but then he put his clothes on and I realised he's actually not attractive. That's always a mindfuck.

So yeah, liking it so far. About to start watching episode 5 with delicious foodstuffs.

EDIT: Bonus points that Mrs S is portrayed as Northern Irish.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'm glad that you're digging it so far, and it only gets better. I love Felix and his character keeps getting better, though I will agree he is a bit stereotypical. All of Tatiana's work with the different characters is amazing and I almost always forget that she has to play all of them. It's especially impressive how she manages to do a flawless job with one character impersonating another so well. I have yet to choose a favorite among the characters that she plays. The show keeps you on your toes to say the least.

Lex

Administrator
Favourite moment of the series so far:

The end of Allison's intervention. That was liberating. My favourite part was when she turns around to Felix at the end: "That went very well".

EDIT: OMG THAT TWIST WHEN IS THE SEASON FINALE

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yet another reason that I love Felix. ^_^

Also, now you know why I've been all "GEI$-BVAI*$JEVSOy*7bh29'doaHd IS ANYONE ELSE WATCHING THIS SHOW!??!?"

There're SO many great things about that twist. Clones AND twins in the same series. Plus, now we get Helena in a position where Sarah won't give her up. I just can't wait to see how it all pans out. It's been such a tightly controlled buildup and then this just threw everything into crazy town at the last second in the best way possible.

Also- my roommate still wants to know who Kira's dad is.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Since there's going to be a Season 2, I don't even mind.

Also- have YOU been able to choose a favorite of Tatiana's roles?

Lex

Administrator
Well I liked Kasima at first but now I'm probably feeling Allison the most out of all of them. Which is surprising because she embodies a lot of North American stereotypes I really dislike. I suppose I like how she's developed. They all have their merits though.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, despite it having been a few days, I'm still pretty aSDV$t'wWRH;BSohis about the finale.

SO, let's recap:

• Helena's (possibly) dead - clone healing capabilities notwithstanding.
• Alison (through inaction) killed her ex-best friend, but her husband's really her monitor, and she's basically signed herself over to Neolution. She thinks she's safe, but she's precisely the opposite.
• Paul's on the inside with Neolution, because he's basically in a position where he can't turn back, because they've got him blackmailed with his past in Iraq.
• Cosima's dying of the same respiratory disease that killed Katja, and she might have to work with Neolution to have any chance of saving herself (especially if Kira's disappearance is any indication), but on the upside, it appears that Delphine actually does care about her, so they're the best bet to be able to work this thing on the inside, though it's at pretty great risk to both of them.
• Mrs. S knows a LOT more about the clone project than she let on, and is of completely questionable alignment, as her house was ransacked, & she and Kira have completely disappeared.
• Felix is who-the-fuck-knows-where, but I can only hope that he's on the up-and-up about what the fuck is happening with Mrs. S and Kira.
• Sarah is free from Neolution legally (for now), but she's in probably even DEEPER shit now that she's refused their deal.
• Art & Angela have now figured out that there's a LOT more going on, and I can only suspect that them looking into Alison is going to be her only chance at getting out of everything ok.
• Tomas is assumedly still in a cage somewhere.
• It's still not clear what else Leekie & Rachel plan to do about the Clones who didn't/don't sign the contract.

It takes balls to have a season finale where everything gets completely and utterly fucked and nothing pans out the way you'd expect. Bravo for having me white knuckled through the who fucking episode, and completely losing my shit from the second Helena impersonated Sarah and stabbed their mother straight through the end.

Lex

Administrator
Yeah I wasn't expecting a lot of it. The whole intellectual property thing is a bit stupid though, I mean like that would hold up in a court? Or anywhere?

Next season is definitely going to be interesting.

Top Bottom