OTWTAS...aka The Look Ahead?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Hmmm, so thats a law or something? :huh:

Whats to stop them publishing an English version in Japan then? People would be happy to import it. God knows we import everything else.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Hmmm, so thats a law or something? :huh:

Whats to stop them publishing an English version in Japan then? People would be happy to import it. God knows we import everything else.

Honestly, I think you overestimate how many people would actually go and get it, even if it's FFVII. It's not going to be a bestseller and there won't be a lot of money made from this.
It'd be way too risky to release an English version for the Japanese market in the hopes that English fans would eventually import it. O_o

In fact, I'm pretty sure the general reaction to such an announcement would be "Eh." :P

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Well, yeah. I mean....we've all read the translations on here anyway. I don't think I'd buy it personally, unless it was illustrated or something. I just figured the same company that throws out fugly $400 'Sephiroth Bracelets' could stretch to something people might actually want.

So is it some sort of publishing law that prevents them approaching publishers outside Japan or what? Is it something that only applies to Japan? Or is it the same for all countries....in which case, how the hell does anything get published? :huh:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So is it some sort of publishing law that prevents them approaching publishers outside Japan or what?

I think it's that they just don't think it's worth the effort. They're a Japanese video game company so they probably don't know any book publishers outside of Japan. It'd take some time and effort if they were to look for publishers in each of the European countries and they might think that maybe this stuff won't even sell.
I mean, it's not the first time they keep stuff Japan-exclusive anyway.

Last edited:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Udon are quite good at releasing various art books in the US (although, AFAIK, most of the ones they've imported are Capcom related). Likewise, Yen Press have released several light novels in the States.

And for those of us this side of the pond, Waterstones will import books published by either of the aforementioned publishers. :awesome:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I got an email from Square saying that they did get my email and were sorry for the delay, and that they'd get back to me...:hohum:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Incoming standard reply:

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

Our parent company, SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD. has not announced a North American release date for that particular title at this time. This is not to say that it will never happen, it's just that SQUARE ENIX of Japan is currently focusing on numerous other projects. Please stay up to date on www.square-enix.com/na for more information on our upcoming titles..

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

I admit I've never seen the "This is not to say it will never happen" bit from them before. I don't mean that it's a hint that this happening or anything. It just made it seem SLIGHTLY less cookie-cutter response. But it still is in the sense that it's "that particular title" rather than ever repeating the title you asked about :P

LoneWolfTifa

Wolfheart
Yeah, it's a shame that they really don't intend on publishing any FF related stuff here... I would have loved to see the Ultimanias in English...

Top Bottom