Party Setups for Most Interesting Dialogue?

hleV

Pro Adventurer
I'm replaying the OG story (with max stats lol) and would like to know the party setups for specific parts of the game so I could get the most interesting dialogues, e.g. Tifa + Aerith for Gongaga or Vincent + Red XIII for Hojo. I wasn't able to find a proper list anywhere.

I don't have a complete list, but I recommend you to bring Barret through the final section of the Whirlwind Maze on disc 2. ;) Just remember to give the Black Materia to Red XIII instead of Barret. Vincent's reaction at one point is fairly neat too.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I recall Vincent's line when confronting Corneo to be rather interesting. You know, it wouldn't be a bad idea to compare the different dialog you get in different parts of the game based on your party. I'm sure it would be appreciated.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I enjoy Barret's responses to most of the story's developments, but as I said fairly recently somewhere, I always enjoyed his reaction to Vincent's long, pitiable story. "That's why you started sleepin' in a box?"

The aforementioned Aerith + Tifa for Gongage and Vincent + Red for Hojo are definite musts. I usually bring Barret and Vincent to Wutai for Mindblow and transformation limits, but as Starling says, Vincent's dialogue is fun there (as is Barret's "Ya damn Midgar hyena.")

I often struggle about who to bring into Bugenhagen's machine. Due to the discussion of the Lifestream, Aerith seems a natural choice, but so does Barret given that he's ostensibly fighting for the planet. Tifa is also a member of AVALANCHE. Really, the whole team should be in there, as I'm sure they will be in the remake, haha.

For the raid on Midgar, I guess the advice would be more who NOT to bring, because the members that are not on your team will be throughout the dungeon and you can talk to them.

Lex

Administrator
^Same for when you go to Costa Del Sol for the first time, all the members not in your team are hanging around doing various things. Tifa's scenes with Johnny, Aerith and Barret in the Inn (Tifa and Aerith's scenes require you to go to the beach and see Hojo first then the Inn/ Johnny's house IIRC), Red and the football, Yuffie and the materia dude. I'd say for the best scenes take Red and Yuffie to fight Jenova on the Cargo Ship.

RedFFWolf

Donator
Whenever you play through a particular section with your selected characters but still want to know what everyone else would have said (without resorting to resetting), follow this script: http://letao.is-a-geek.net/ff7script/
(E.G., "How would Barret or Yuffie have responded to this?")

So far, there hasn't been anything I couldn't find - you might enjoy reading ahead of where you're at, and thus set up the party as you desire. Every party members options are mentioned along the way, including whoever is your second or third party member (which is whoever gets the priority to speak first, which are normally your earlier acquired characters). NPCs are listed too, incldunig when you go back to talk to them at different times.

Introducing yourself to Shera:
I recall Vincent introducing himself in a borderline funny self-defeating manner.
"Vincent. My occupation is...forget it."

Acquiring the submarine:
Have Barret in your party, as he will briefly reminisce on how he used to be the leader.

Also, Nanaki has
Take o-ff!
, to remind us of the child within. (Arguably it could be meant in another way, but later if you lose the mini-game he expresses his desire to ride in a submarine, so I'm gonna take it as such ^_^)

From what I've found in my last playthrough, Cid and Yuffie's personalities never take much of a break. Their lines are pretty distinct, and if you took away the names within the dialogue boxes, it wouldn't be so hard identifying if Yuffie or Cid was saying the line.

Lex

Administrator
Tifa and Yuffie have the best animations for the Forgotten Capital IMO. I do prefer taking Barret there just for length-of-time in the party reasons, but Yuffie breaks my heart during that scene.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
The PC MIDI without the correct Yamaha soundfonts really help illustrate the inner ballerina in that scene.

RedFFWolf

Donator
I prefer Vincent's reaction in this video:

I believe he was just trying to lighten the mood, like's Cait Sith attempt.
Vincent found a way. He found a way.

(And that description, "I should've recorded it with an anorexic Yuffie instead of Barratt's fat arse blocking the view." Is the doleful moment losing all sanctity? :D - perhaps this is why it's time for a remake!)

Lex

Administrator
For the record that bug is still present in the PS4 version. I think it's fixed for that actual scene but Vincent can still be seen doing that in the basement if you recruit him before you go into the library part, it happened during my last playthrough.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Red's reaction to Aerith's death always got me. Dat howl of anguish. :sadpanda:

Sad dogs always get me. :(

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I always kinda wished they played the sound effect for it. It doesn't have to be as long as the one in front of Seto, but something.

Lex

Administrator
Yeah I like Red's too. Really all the characters reactions fit who they are, so they're all "good". But if you're me and you want something to make you emotional, I go with Tifa and Yuffie. It's one of the scenes that really showcases her age which is something that's easy to forget in FFVII. The other is the Yuffie date, which might not be harder to get than Barret's but I'd put money on it being the one that fewest people have intentionally seen, if such a thing was ever measured.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Lion/wolf/dog/whatever. Sorry. :P

The point is, his howl breaks my heart. :sadpanda:

I you're curious, I made a visual comparison here, which is part of the discussion Lex was referring to. Though for the record,
Red XIII's character profile said:
Although his appearance is that resembling a feline, he occasionally exhibits behavior similar to dogs.

so they seem to consider him a cat that sometimes acts like a dog.

I like his reaction to Aerith's death too.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
He's a Lolf. It's like a lion and wolf mixed. They're bred for their skills and magic. It's pretty much my favorite animal. :monster:

RedFFWolf

Donator
213klyx.jpg

I was playing FFVII last night and had gone through Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon. In Gongaga, when you have Tifa and Aerith in your party and you get the whole walkout scene, the girls will say something additionally depending on your affection points (date mechanics).

From this script, Tifa should say "You know...I'm as proud of Cloud joining SOLDIER as if it were me."
Aerith should say "I was hoping maybe you were..." if you say you are "...jealous...envious..."
I knew my value with Tifa was high (as I wanted the date with her this time, as it was Aerith the last time - Barret and Yuffie for later playthroughs), whereas I knew Aerith was not as high. The value needs to be 120, according to the link. Tifa did say this line for me, whereas Aerith did not.

I should also note, especially since the spotlight is on Nanaki right now, he will say different things at different scenes, depending on whether or not you have beaten the Cave of the Gi - this is to reflect on how, as he says, "he has grown up a little". One prominent example is during the recruitment of Yuffie. If she steals from you, he comments on how greed is a perfect example of human nature. But, after the sealed cave, he will instead say something like "give me back what is rightfully mine". The lines are different at Fort Condor too, and from memory it's nothing too different, save for one where he asks the people of the fort if they are going to protect the egg, whereas after the cave he says how we're going to protect the egg - he's more decisive on taking action himself. (I know the script is right in front of me to double-check, but I'm sure enough I'm right on these accounts :P - I've been following it throughout my latest playthrough).

And, indeed, the scenes in Gongaga are similar too [which can be hard to miss, since you can leave it too late, of course] - he is less cynical in tone about the Turks waiting for them, where he says how "they have been waiting for us" and "someone's been informing them", whereas after the cave he phrases it more as a question, like "Cloud, how did they know we were here?" and "you think someone told Shinra about us".

RedFFWolf

Donator
^I read two/three different scripts religiously on my playthrough two years ago. And it's not much different this time either. It's sort of becoming the closest thing I have to an expertise on the game, which doesn't say much 'cause the script is right there for anyone :monster: - at least it's all absorbing into the memory bank. That's somethin' :D

Top Bottom