Perseverance (Jessie/Clessie Club)

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Perseverance - A Cloud & Jessie Club

clessieThumb.jpg

https://www.deviantart.com/thestrifeisrife/art/Am-I-a-bad-person-Cloud-827032464?ga_submit_new=10%3A1579075798

"Cloud and Jessie inside the Sector 4 Plate" by Odysseus
Jessie breaks down when the weight of what she's done through her bombs becomes too much for her.

Welcome, ye few but faithful. This is a club dedicated to the pairing of Cloud and Jessie, their all-too-brief friendship, and the romantic potential that might have been. Unlike Cloti and Clerith, we have often had to endure a great deal of flack, derision, and hostility in many places because of our liking for Cloud and Jessie and what they might one day have had together. So that's why I chose the name Perseverance, because we've needed it in the face of what many of us have had to go through for the sake of this pairing.

While Aerith's fate is of course tragic, what's often overlooked is that Jessie's is no less so. Aerith had, in the original, half a game to be with Cloud and get to know him, while Jessie's time was far shorter. Yet even in that brief amount of time, we got a glimpse of what might have been. Her interest and affections for Cloud are well-known, but since Cloud could flirt with her a few times even in the original, it may not have been as entirely one-sided as some people think. You don't generally flirt with someone you're not at least somewhat attracted to, after all. But because of what happened in the Sector 7 pillar, we never got to see or even determine where it might have gone.

For many years, that was all we had, all we ever thought we would have. But now, the remake has given us new hope, with how much it has highlighted Jessie in the trailers, very nearly as much as Aerith and Tifa. And her interactions with Cloud in the demo, along with how he treats her there, are doing more to legitimize the idea of Cloud and Jessie as having the romantic potential we always knew they did. Jessie has always been overlooked and overshadowed in comparison to Aerith and Tifa, but thankfully, the remake seems to be trying to change that somewhat. Of course there's much we still don't know, but what we've seen so far is hopeful and a good sign.

So, feel free to discuss, share your stories, art, music, thoughts, and whatever else about Cloud and Jessie. Always be respectful and polite, and don't denigrate other pairings. We get enough of it ourselves, so there's no need to return the favor and sink to the level of those who've always mocked us for what we like. But above all, have fun!

cjBike.jpg

clessieWall.png

Jairus

There's some, much of which I've posted in the FFVII fanart thread here at TLS, but it's true there's not a lot. Not near as much as Cloti and Clerith art. But like you said, I hope the remake changes that. I've already seen new pieces done of her over the last few months since all the trailers came out last year. And if the trailers alone can prompt that, imagine what the full game will do.

Jairus

Put this together tonight using a couple screens from the VGA trailer:

clessieWall2.png

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I’m in it for this ship. Even though there’s a 40% chance everyone will abandon ship after actually playing the game, I always loved these two in the OG.

Jairus

Glad to have you aboard, Ite! Why do you think people will leave after playing the remake, though?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Well cause the Jessie and Cloud this ship is based on is from 10 lines of the OG and a few trailers. What we end up seeing might pop that balloon. But we’ll always have fanfic, right?

Jairus

But then again, it might not, Ite. You never know.

What parts of the demo I saw and the interactions they had there overall, the clear difference in how he treated her as opposed to the guys, how he showed concern for her and listened to her, and how he didn't do anything to dissuade her flirting or interest (among other things) seems to suggest that it might not be so farfetched or one-sided as we might have thought. There did seem to be some mutual attraction going on there.

And I think there's some significance in that they gave Cloud's first smile of the game to Jessie. Not Aerith, and not Tifa. Jessie. He's not a guy who does that kind of thing often, and for her to be able to get that out of him shows she can affect him. It's also a peek at the real Cloud, the one who wasn't very good with girls. And to a guy like that, a pretty girl complimenting him and making him feel good about himself is something that he would like and value and from which attraction would naturally follow.

Also, from what Vortigern told me in another thread, the pairing seems to have a stronger basis in canon than it used to, if the leaks are anything to go on. He saw them and seems to think that's the case. So there may yet be hope for the ship.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yo, @Jairus, I know we were talking about this in PMs, but I figure this thread desreved more activity. I took a crack at doodling a "Wall Market" style Jessie:

20200118_181430.jpg

I was kinda going for a street punk look to differentiate her from Tifa and Aerith.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Okay I wasn't really planning to do another full color image so soon, but since you liked that I decided to draw it again more seriously:

20200119_000907.jpg

Want me to color it?

Jairus

Hmm... I think I like how you drew her face and upper body in the first one better, actually, as far as the shape and proportion and how her face and hair look. The look you went for with her lower body in the second one was nice, though. Wasn't expecting you to include Aerith and Cloud in it, but it's kinda funny how she's like "Huh?" while Cloud's thinking of Jessie. And using her headband as a choker was a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe if we're lucky, SE will change her train disguise in the remake to be something more alluring than a guard's outfit, hehe.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm gonna have to agree to disagree about her face. The more I look at the first one, the more weird it looks to me. In my older drawings of her which exist but will never see the light of day again, I always drew her as the excited type, which I went with in the second version. I guess her face does look more like it does in my avatar though in attempt 1, but that drawing was some kinda miracle fluke because I've never been able to draw her like that again to my own satisfaction (which is why the Clessie pick in the first post took so damn long.) The way it is here comes more naturally to me.

Yeah Cloud and Aerith down there were spur of the moment in Try #1 because I didn't want to draw the legs, but I thought it was funny so I kept it in try #2. You did say in your novel that he was thinking about this as they headed to Corneo's place, right? Also, I like how my default way of lazily drawing the characters is to just draw them as their low poly models.

Jairus

Oh ok. It just looked weird because she was winking and I couldn't figure it out at first. And yeah, Cloud and Aerith were in that little courtyard outside Corneo's place behind one of the stalls, getting ready to infiltrate it, and after noticing how beautiful Aerith was in her dress, he wondered for a moment how Jessie would look all glamoured up like that. He's thought about her here and there since being separated from the others not just because of the time they had spent together in the Sector 4 plate but also because of a certain moment they had shared just before he went with Tifa and Barret into Reactor 5 (and of course, all the interactions they'd had prior to that). As I said in PM, he finds himself more drawn to her in the novel than we saw in the game.

And it would be quite hilarious if somebody managed to make a low-poly mod for the pc version of the remake that converts all the character models into chibis like in the original.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I could have both eyes open if you prefer. And yeah, I've been hoping the remake would do that, like MGS5 did.

Jairus

Yeah, I think I'd like it better with both eyes open. I really like the outfit you made for her, though.

Jairus

Wanted to share a couple fanarts of Cloud and Jessie that I found a while back. I had originally put these in the FFVII Fanart thread but thought they could go here as well:

jessie_meriko.jpg

http://storen.rpgcafe.net/jessie/jessie_meriko.jpg

Jessie Rito

Useless Lesbian

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
little perv, lol. You know, Aerith's face was supposed to be cute and oblivious, but now that I look at it she's kinda intimidating...

Top Bottom