• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Physical media thrad

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Interesting piece about the vinyl market. I certainly have a pretty strong distaste for speculators.

One thing the piece doesn't mention is that a lot of the labels that press vinyl records can't afford to do non-limited pressings; there simply isn't enough of a demand for them. Granted, it would be nice for labels to reprint the records for which there's enough demand. Fortunately, some of the better ones do.

There's also this piece addressing the sound benefits of clear LPs and single-sided LPs.

Jarlix

Pro Adventurer
Regarding game storage I like cartridges, and for them to be as small as possible. When the PS5 comes out after PS4 I'm hoping they can eschew disks in favour of Vita sized cards that get the job done. I don't think it's bad to have everything sold on small things like that that're painless and hassle free.

Vinyl is honestly just a style choice. But damn if it isn't classy. It also has a nice crackly noise to it.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Honestly, there's a lot more to it than just the crackly noise (which certainly is charming, though), though some of it is due to conscious decisions by record labels to make CDs and MP3/FLAC releases as shitty as possible. A lot of vinyl records get separate masters from the digital versions, which are generally immune to loudness war shenanigans that introduce digital distortion and other undesirable artefacts into the music and often cause listener fatigue. It is primarily for this reason that vinyl has a reputation as an audiophile format, although it also adds a warm layer of distortion to the sound that a lot of people, myself included, find pleasing.

As far as gaming goes, I don't honestly mind discs, although I can't tell you the last time I played a game that wasn't on my computer. I haven't even played my Wii in several months.

Jarlix

Pro Adventurer
Makes me want to get hold of a class Vinyl disk player to accent my room.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
If you like music enough it's definitely a worthwhile investment. There are so many albums which sound substantially better on a good turntable.

Top Bottom