• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Pirates of the Caribbean

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
First teaser for "Dead Men Tell No Tales" is out. :arr:

Hope it's gonna be good. I liked the first three but part four was essentially just a filler episode. :comedian:

Also, ghost pirates. Should've been LeChuck, really :P

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
First teaser for "Dead Men Tell No Tales" is out. :arr:

Hope it's gonna be good. I liked the first three but part four was essentially just a filler episode.

It's about time a real trailer of the fifth film was posted. Like you, I loved the first three films, but the fourth one left me cold.

Also, ghost pirates. Should've been LeChuck, really :P

Hey, they had skeletion pirates, fish pirates, zombie pirates, they had to put in ghost pirates too.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
The best thing (read: only good thing) about the fourth film was a glorious month of mermaid/pirate themed E.R.P's with my wife. :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So I just saw this and. Hm. Dunno, not great. Better than the fourth but not as fun as the first three (although 2 and 3 have plenty detractors, I personally enjoyed the heck out of them).
It's essentially more of the same and it's getting really stale. The two new leads, Will's Son and bargain bin Keira are pretty bland.
Jack Sparrow is just a shadow of his former self. In the first one he was seemingly a bumbling idiot who is secretly clever and constantly switches sides and manipulates people and situations to his advantage.
Each subsequent entry it seems he loses more and more of what made him so enjoyable in the first movie. Here he just kinda drunkenly stumbles through the movie ¯\_(ಠ_ಠ)_/¯
I found him mostly annoying.
Salazar was, y'know. Yet another ghostly/supernatural captain who has beef with Sparrow. Been there, done that.

And finally, Major Spoiler :salute:

Davy Jones' return is hinted at in the post credits scene.

On one hand, Davy Jones was actually a damn enjoyable villain.
On the other hand...again, been there done that same old same old. Goddammit.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I love Jack Sparrow as a character. He is the embodiment of Chaotic Neutral and everybody knows those characters are the most fun (he says not just because he always plays Chaotic Neutral in D&D :monster:)

But in Pirates 1 Jack Sparrow was just an underdog hero. He was the last person you'd expect to be an amazing pirate but he turned out to defy expectations. He was a "drunken master" type and when it came down to it he proved his skill. He had some manner of fame but he was, essentially, just some pirate dude.

Pirates 2 and 3 made Jack Sparrow fucking Pirate Jesus which was annoying as hell. Sure he's one of the best in the business and he has many dealings with this and that but what made Pirates 1 so damned good was that the supernatural elements were not overplayed. They were present but this was still a world that was mostly about the characters and journey. 2 and 3 turned it into fucking Game of Thrones meets Supernatural by the way we have Jack Sparrow.

Pirates 4 decided to try and downplay the supernatural and have more piratic themed magic - fountain of youth and mermaids that's a bit better. Unfortunately it had a bland as hell cast, Jack Sparrow wasn't at his peak and as I mentioned before apart from some hot mermaid action and an actually pretty damn decent Geoffrey Rush monologue the film was forgettable.

I will probably go see Pirates 5, but I do not have high hopes for it. I love Johnny Depp, I love Jack Sparrow, but he's not what he was.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
So I just saw this and. Hm. Dunno, not great. Better than the fourth but not as fun as the first three (although 2 and 3 have plenty detractors, I personally enjoyed the heck out of them).
It's essentially more of the same and it's getting really stale. The two new leads, Will's Son and bargain bin Keira are pretty bland.
Jack Sparrow is just a shadow of his former self. In the first one he was seemingly a bumbling idiot who is secretly clever and constantly switches sides and manipulates people and situations to his advantage.
Each subsequent entry it seems he loses more and more of what made him so enjoyable in the first movie. Here he just kinda drunkenly stumbles through the movie ¯\_(ಠ_ಠ)_/¯
I found him mostly annoying.
Salazar was, y'know. Yet another ghostly/supernatural captain who has beef with Sparrow. Been there, done that.

I knew that the fifth film would be better than the fourth, but I wasn't surprised with the disappointment. The major thing I found disturbing was the
Zombie Sharks. They reminded me of the dead Cow Carcass I'd seen while I was in a train four years ago.

Then again, I always find that fourth movies of any franchies to be dead and too broody. Shrek Forever After and Ice Age 4: Continental Drift are the two examples for that. Another thing, Ice Age 5: Collision Course was more enjoyable than Ice Age 4.

And finally, Major Spoiler :salute:

Davy Jones' return is hinted at in the post credits scene.

On one hand, Davy Jones was actually a damn enjoyable villain.
On the other hand...again, been there done that same old same old. Goddammit.

WHAAAAAAAT!? #&*%! Okay, no wonder they're in talks with Pirates of the Caribbean 6 already even before this film was released, and this was back in March.

Shortly before the release of On Stranger Tides, it was reported that Disney was planning to shoot the fifth and the sixth films back-to-back, although it was later revealed that only the fifth film was in development. With the release of the official trailer of Dead Men Tell No Tales and subsequent television spots, it was suggested that Dead Men will be the last film in the franchise.[148] However, on March 4, 2017, director Joachim Rønning stated that Dead Men was only the beginning of the final adventure, implying that it would not be the last film of the franchise and that a sixth film could be realized.[149]

I mean, if Davy Jones is back, then they can't just leave this in a cliff-hanger now, can they?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Jack Sparrow was a case of stumbled-upon genius. To quote the screen writers
"Johnny Depp's take on him was everything we wrote down, and nothing we expected."

In the first film, his role is the deuteroganist. He acts as a mechanism to give the other characters agency; There's no way in hell Will could have tracked down and rescued Elizabeth without Jack there to pave the way. A deuteroganist is often an amusing character, but they can't support the film.

What really makes those three films work (or fail depending) is that Jack had a wide, colorful cast to work off of. He could serve as commentary of just how absurd the whole damned trilogy gets. The execs started misreading as Jack being the source of the film's successes, rather than a symptom of a more complicated formula, and built 4 (and seemingly 5) around Jack being Jack, and ehr, everyone else is there to pave the way for HIM to be Jack. That just doesn't work.

In the end, it just made 4 feel like one long boring slog any time Depp or Rush weren't chewing the scenery. 5 works a little better because it's a pale imitation of the dynamics presented in the first film. But again, Jack can only be good as the cast he has to play off of, and these two are just...eh?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Like I said, fourth films in any franchises of film series are dull and brooding. To this day, I still haven't watched Pirates of the Caribbean 4 yet. Read up the summary, read a fanfic of the film done by HiddenXEmotion(with her own OCs put in it), and even made up my own fanfic which I have yet to post on my Fanfiction account, but even so, Pirates 4 was disappointing.

I may give Pirates 5 a go when it comes out on DVD in months time. Despite it being confusing, and darker than usual, it still looks interesting enough. But really, when you think about it, the writers and such for the franchise have run out of ideas at this point.

Even by trailer standards, the sharks remind me more of Jaws(which I haven't seen either) and the ridiculous Sharknado films which, Sharknado 5 comes out in August.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Like I said, fourth films in any franchises of film series are dull and brooding. To this day, I still haven't watched Pirates of the Caribbean 4 yet. Read up the summary, read a fanfic of the film done by HiddenXEmotion(with her own OCs put in it), and even made up my own fanfic which I have yet to post on my Fanfiction account, but even so, Pirates 4 was disappointing.

I may give Pirates 5 a go when it comes out on DVD in months time. Despite it being confusing, and darker than usual, it still looks interesting enough. But really, when you think about it, the writers and such for the franchise have run out of ideas at this point.

Even by trailer standards, the sharks remind me more of Jaws(which I haven't seen either) and the ridiculous Sharknado films which, Sharknado 5 comes out in August.

Oh dude, treat yourself. Watch Jaws. Theres more to it than the shark.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

Oh dude, treat yourself. Watch Jaws. Theres more to it than the shark.

No thanks. I'll just stick to Jurassic Park.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Jaws is a great movie about how to do a horror film with very little gore. The shark is actually on screen for maybe about 2 whole minutes of screen time (at the end at that). The effect it has on the setting/characters is felt the entire movie long. Actually, it's less a horror movie and more a suspense/anticipation movie that just does everything right.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
No thank you. Jaws never appealed to me. I've never been too keen on shark movies that much. Heck, I tried Snakes on a Train once and that was confusing and disappointing.

I'm more looking forward to the sequel to Jurassic World which has Jeff Goldblum in it this time, reprising his role as Dr. Ian Malcom.

Anyway, I'll give Pirates 5 a go once it's out on DVD, but it's a hit and miss in theatres at the moment.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Looking forward to watching the new movie when it arrives at my local cinema.

This is how I rank the PotC movies:

1. Death Man's Chest
2. At World's End
3. The Curse of the Black Pearl
4. On Stranger Tides

Movie 2 is the overall strongest for me with the third one coming a little close, the only thing preventing it from being #1 is its anticlimatic (albeit still awesome) final fight.

I personally have no problem with the scalation of the fantasy elements.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
No thank you. Jaws never appealed to me. I've never been too keen on shark movies that much. Heck, I tried Snakes on a Train once and that was confusing and disappointing.

I'm more looking forward to the sequel to Jurassic World which has Jeff Goldblum in it this time, reprising his role as Dr. Ian Malcom.

Anyway, I'll give Pirates 5 a go once it's out on DVD, but it's a hit and miss in theatres at the moment.

I...ehr...Dude...The shark ain't the main focus. I mean, it is, but that's like saying Jurassic Park is just about dinosaurs. That's just the hook for a deeper story.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Looking forward to watching the new movie when it arrives at my local cinema.

This is how I rank the PotC movies:

1. Death Man's Chest
2. At World's End
3. The Curse of the Black Pearl
4. On Stranger Tides

Movie 2 is the overall strongest for me with the third one coming a little close, the only thing preventing it from being #1 is its anticlimatic (albeit still awesome) final fight.

I personally have no problem with the scalation of the fantasy elements.

The fifth film started yesterday here in Australia in Australian Time.

I seriously have no problems with fantasy elements, though. In fact, I love fantasy elements. On Stranger Tides, from the trailers, seemed far less fantasy-like, lack of action, and such.

Especially with the Black Pearl stuck in a bottle, Barbossa losing his right leg and Jack being stuck with Blackbeard who was played by the same guy who voiced Captain Hook in Shrek the Third.

The fifth film, by trailers though...the Sharks were like, "....Okay?"

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

I...ehr...Dude...The shark ain't the main focus. I mean, it is, but that's like saying Jurassic Park is just about dinosaurs. That's just the hook for a deeper story.
"Jaws" is even less about the shark than the first "Jurassic Park" was about the dinosaurs. There was still a fair bit of spectacle to JP that "Jaws" just doesn't have.

Suffice to say: One could reasonably still call JP a "dinosaur movie." But "Jaws" isn't a "shark movie."

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
The majority of the film , especially the first half, is like a greatest hits homage to Hitchcock. It's such a huge disservice to just call it a Shark movie, especially when so much of the tension happens when the Sharks not even around :monster:

It's worth watching just for the masterful execution of "The" beach scene.

https://vimeo.com/122479442

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Jack being kind of charmless and annoying in this one is even more frustrating to me when
there's a flashback with young Jack actually being kind of cool. He's all cocky and such and Salazar is just like "the fuck is this clown" but then Jack pulls off this unexpected and kind of crazy maneuver that completely turns everything around (quite literally) and I was like "why can't we get that Jack Sparrow again?"

The shark in Jaws is in approximately 2/10 of the total film. The film is about characters, and politics, and how people react to situations. The shark is a catalyst, not the focus.

About Pirates, it was meh. Like Tets said, I want old jack back. His into in this movie was good, until it turned into a cartoon, like they all seem to do now. That's all these movies are, now. A cartoon with a set piece focus. The movie goes out of it's way to tell a lame, cartoonish joke then expects us to care about what happens.
At one point, a character screams out "they're going to kill jack!" And I can't for the life of me think of more than 4 sentence they share between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wol

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
The shark in Jaws is in approximately 2/10 of the total film. The film is about characters, and politics, and how people react to situations. The shark is a catalyst, not the focus.

About Pirates, it was meh. Like Tets said, I want old jack back. His into in this movie was good, until it turned into a cartoon, like they all seem to do now. That's all these movies are, now. A cartoon with a set piece focus. The movie goes out of it's way to tell a lame, cartoonish joke then expects us to care about what happens.
At one point, a character screams out "they're going to kill jack!" And I can't for the life of me think of more than 4 sentence they share between them.
You described at least 80% of Marvel movies. Fuck momentum and gravitas, give me the next feel-good joke!

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I've been rewatching the movies and I'm still quite amazed that movie 3 starts with a mass hanging (including a child), one of the darkest scene in a live action Disney movie.

Yeah, but it's such a powerful scene though, regardless if you're a fan of these films or not. I still get chills watching it.

Just recently watched the first 3 with the husband because I haven't seen them in forever. I'm also running out of shows to binge as I'm still working from home.

Not sure if I'm going to watch 4 and 5; I haven't seen those at all, and I just felt the films worked best as a trilogy.

Top Bottom