• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

PlayStation 4

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
there are a bunch of games that i want to play but haven't got (sekiro, dark souls 3) or have but not started (until dawn, ffxv). i feel like i haven't played that many games on it and i don't know if i will just be listing all the games i've played. which i might do with a tiny bit of commentary about it so i can criticise them and remember all the ones i've played

also are we including multi-platform games that are on other consoles here

i am compiling my list based on the trophy list on the mobile app because i'm too lazy to walk a few feet to look at my shelf of games

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I feel like I've barely played any games on the PS4, <_<. But, random selection of games I played and really enjoyed:

Bloodborne (probably top title)
Monster Hunter: World
Nier: Automata
Uncharted 4
Dark Souls 3
God of War
Persona 5 (still need to finish that one actually)

Should have a boggle at my physical games, and I should seriously make a List of games I haven't yet played but would like to.

I'm really glad the PS5 will be backwards compatible, I don't feel like I got what I wanted out the PS3 but hooking it up again is like ehhh. That said, I did get some PS3 games the other day, I'll hook it up again over the christmas holidays and have a bash at it.

Also I'm quite enjoying Hollow Knight atm, I was disparaging about it at first because I'm cycnical about a lot of these "old-fashioned" style games with an aesthetic that tries to be original and a story that is intentionally vague or not there, but it did grow on me. Getting hecking difficult here and there though, <_<. But not impossible. And the walljump doesn't feel quite right. Biggest frustration is the amount of walking you have to do to e.g. retry a boss.

Bloodborne (definitely my favorite of the generation)
Hollow Knight
The Last Guardian
Nier: Automata
FFVIIR
Celeste
Mega Man 11

(I played HK, Celeste, and MM11 on Switch, but yeah). I still need to finish Dark Souls 3, and I've been meaning to check out 13 Sentinels, Sekiro, Hyper Light Drifter, DMCV, and Persona 5, just haven't gotten around to it yet as I tend to take my time with games. I never had a PS3 so I kind of missed out on that whole generation, but I'm glad I got back into it for PS4 since there's lots of great games. The Demon's Souls remake has been giving me some PS5 FOMO, but with so much to play from the PS4 gen still, it'll probably be quite a while before I can justify getting a PS5.

Biggest frustration is the amount of walking you have to do to e.g. retry a boss.
I love Hollow Knight, but this is one thing I didn't like about it. There are a couple of boss run backs that are unbearable without setting a warp point (but I think those two are for bosses that were added/fixed up later, so it's forgivable given the three-person dev team) and the game could really use a few more fast travel spots, IMO.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I see BB impacted others as well.

It was my first "Souls" experience, so I tasted each small strike, each death, each step into the darkness... It was such a novel experience, and the setting was already original. Fantastic experience in every sense, a truly work of art.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
For this gen the ones I enjoyed the most were (in alphabetic order):

Death Stranding
Devil May Cry 5
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Final Fantasy XV
Metal Gear Solid V
Monster Hunter World
The Last Guardian

As a whole this now past gen was the one I invested +100hs in games the most, with a total 8 games, all of them across many playthroughs.

I see BB impacted others as well.

It was my first "Souls" experience, so I tasted each small strike, each death, each step into the darkness... It was such a novel experience, and the setting was already original. Fantastic experience in every sense, a truly work of art.

BB was my first Souls game, too, and I feel the same way. The setting, gameplay, lore, and art direction are all top notch and work so well together; it really creates the experience of being thrown into a nightmarish world where you feel incredibly scared and vulnerable and then as you learn and improve at taking down enemies and bosses you start to feel like a badass. I hadn't been as enthralled by a game except for when I played Ocarina of Time and Shadow of the Colossus for the first time. It's a really special experience, and I think it does something that only video games can do.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
With the end of 2020 being the begin of PS5, let's take a look at Sony's PS4 GOTY performance with critics and fans as far as from 2013 - 2020 period.

Let's take a lot at the data:

2013: No PS4 game won the most GOTYs because the console only just launch in the second last month of the year with no big killer app. Although, Sony did take the win but with a PS3 game (The Last of Us).

2014: No PS4 game won this year, winner was multiplatform Dragon Age: Inquisition.

2015: This year was another loss but with better performance than 2014, where no PS4-exclusive of that year won anything, while the winner was The Witcher 3 with 259 awards, Bloodborne took the third place with 31 awards.

2016: The first big win of Sony in the generation, Uncharted 4 took the trophy home at first place with 168 awards. This year The Last Guardian took forth place with 17 awards, making the first time more than one Sony game were in the top 5 of GOTYs of this generation.

2017: This year was won by Nintendo with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wilds and with Sony taking second place with Horizon Zero Dawn with 55 awards.

2018: This was Sony's second big win with God of War taking first place with 202 awards, this year also had Marvel's Spider-Man which took third place with 17 awards.

2019: Sony takes its second consecutive win with (believe it or not) Death Stranding taking 93 awards, making it their first time winning with a brand new IP during the generation and overall second time winning most GOTYs with a new IP in their history, first time being in 2013 with The Last of US*.

2020: And this final year is yet again won by Sony for third consecutive time with The Last of Us Part II with more than 200 awards. Other noteworthy PS4 games this year were Ghost of Tsushima taking third palce with 35 awards and Final Fantasy VII Remake taking sixth palce with 15 awards.

Overall a rocky start but by the end of the generation Sony became a favourite publisher with critics and fans. Wishing for a stronger performance on this now current gen with Playstation 5.

---------------
* It's hard to find data for stuff involving the 1994-2002 period, while some media outlets have what their GOTYs were for what game in that period the sample is imo a bit too small for making any definitive statement about Sony's performance.

Last edited:

uratuje_pandy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
google
I used to play a vr machine in a arcade but that was a long time ago and it all looked like a lawn mower. Of course, things look so much better now. I'm not sure if I am confident enough that I can spend as much as the new console for a headset, although I didn't really watch it very closely or what it can do (does it have any other uses outside of games? games you have created or adapted?

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Sony Interactive Entertainment is pleased to announce the Play At Home initiative.

People all over the world are doing the right thing by staying home to help contain the spread of COVID–19. We are deeply grateful to everyone practicing physical distancing and take our responsibility as a home entertainment platform seriously, so we are asking our community to continue supporting the safe choice and the need to Play At Home.

As a thank you to all who are doing their part to lessen the impact of this pandemic, Sony Interactive Entertainment is pleased to announce the Play At Home initiative.

Play At Home has two components: first, providing free games to help keep the PlayStation community entertained at home; and finally, establishing a fund to help smaller independent game studios who may be experiencing financial difficulties continue building great experiences for all gamers.

Free Games to Play At Home
To support Play At Home, PlayStation will try to make those occasionally dull moments more exciting by offering Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection and Journey available for free* for a limited time through digital downloads from April 15 at 8pm PDT through May 5, 2020 at 8pm PDT Once you redeem the games, they are yours to keep.

*In Germany and China, users will have access to Knack 2 and Journey for free for a limited time (April 15, 2020 at 8pm PDT through May 5, 2020 at 8pm PDT).

Creative Funding
Independent developers are vital to the heart and soul of the gaming community and we understand the hardships and financial struggles that many smaller gaming studios are facing. With that, SIE has developed a fund to support them during this time. We have earmarked $10 million to support our independent development partners. More information about the fund, including participation criteria, will be made available soon.

During these days of physical distancing, fans have turned to gaming for moments of respite and enjoyment. At Sony Interactive Entertainment, we are privileged to bring this much-needed entertainment. We know this is just one small step and we are thankful to be able to offer this support to our players, our communities, and our partners.

Play At Home returns: Four months of offers for PlayStation games and entertainment begin March 1

Free games and entertainment offers for the PlayStation community kick off in March and extend through June.

March 1st, 2021: Ratchet & Clank PS4 available for free download for a limited time through PlayStation Store from March 1 at 8pm PST to March 31, 2021 at 8pm PDT. Once you redeem the game, it will be yours to keep.

March 25th, 2021: Extended access for new subscribers to Funimation or Wakanim in the countries they are available.**

**** FUNIMATION and WAKANIM – On top of the standard 14-day trial, new users can get an additional 90 days . Unless you cancel your subscription before the end of the period, your subscription will automatically roll into a paid-for, ongoing subscription with a recurring monthly fee. Age restrictions apply. More information to follow.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
..... Why is Sony radically reducing itself to just the bare minimum now? Are they gonna remove all extra PSN features now?

Did nobody use communities?? I saw as few but I guess they really want to hack off features that they feel are superfluous.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
..... Why is Sony radically reducing itself to just the bare minimum now? Are they gonna remove all extra PSN features now?

Did nobody use communities?? I saw as few but I guess they really want to hack off features that they feel are superfluous.

So... in general in software this is from the literal cost of maintenance to see whether or not it's a cost sink. Additionally, for complex features that can't monetarily justify anything outside of a maintenance team means it's harder keeping those things technologically up-to-date. Features like that are what get targeted for trying to exploit to enable security breaches.

Especially the pandemic pushing more people into a digital-dependent environment, it's harder to track changes in activity to catch things like that. Additionally, with all of the increase in security attacks & especially with ransomware since the pandemic (CD PROJEKT RED being an especially notable one), the risks of data breaches are even bigger than when Sony already dealt with that happening in the past.

I figure that they're taking a much more proactive "better safe than sorry" approach to all of those things, but especially in the current climate.

X :neo:

Has anyone ever bought a game from the Online Playstation store, had them take your money, but not have the game downloaded? (or telecharger, as they say in French?). I just bought Dragon Age Inquisition, but the game didn't start downloading and doesn't appear anywhere on my PS account or in my PS.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Has anyone ever bought a game from the Online Playstation store, had them take your money, but not have the game downloaded? (or telecharger, as they say in French?). I just bought Dragon Age Inquisition, but the game didn't start downloading and doesn't appear anywhere on my PS account or in my PS.

If you search for the game in the store again does it show it as full price or does it show download?

Top Bottom