• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Playstation 5

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
It's been hinted, or at least affirmed that PS5 won't release before April 2020, so we'll either see it sometime in April or May next year at the earliest.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Wait so I can stay a console generation behind.... and I can play with friends...???? That probably means the PS4 won't be plummeting in price though.... Hmmmmm

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I've heard a little about the PS5, but what I wonder is if you'll be able to tell the difference visually between a PS4 game and a PS5 game. Graphics can only go so far, and once you get to photorealistic there isn't much further you can go, which leaves one to wonder what the point of new consoles will be then. I'll freely admit I might have missed something, as I said I don't know a whole lot about the PS5 yet and how it's different from the PS4 aside from being a little faster, so feel free to enlighten me, I don't mind. :)

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Oh but that's an argument that comes up with every console generation - How much better can it get? And yet every time it gets better, and every time we look back at an older generation and, in comparison, it looks pretty meh.

I think we still have a ways to go. The capacities of the hardware is one thing, but the other factor is development time and money. This console generation pushed that boundary again, with e.g. Horizon taking six years and most high end games taking three years of development. I think the limit there isn't reached either, not when game sales keep on overtaking one another over time (thanks to the world as a whole becoming more connected, hardware and software becoming more widely available to more people).

Ite

AKA
Ite
I don’t think it will be immediately apparent, but as more and more games start to push the console’s limits, we’ll start looking back on PS4 games as very dated looking.

That frostbite hair thing is CRAZY! I ain’t never seen that kinda thing on PS4.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
I don’t think it will be immediately apparent, but as more and more games start to push the console’s limits, we’ll start looking back on PS4 games as very dated looking.

That frostbite hair thing is CRAZY! I ain’t never seen that kinda thing on PS4.

We should not forget the real potential that every gaming machine has is something we only experience at the end of every console generation.
There are still very interesting titles that will come out in the near future, especially that one game where characters hair styles are one of the more prominent features (Jessie's ponytail animation looks amazing).

I hope there are still surprises waiting for us in the graphical Department.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ite

BathoryAria

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Aria
I've heard a little about the PS5, but what I wonder is if you'll be able to tell the difference visually between a PS4 game and a PS5 game. Graphics can only go so far, and once you get to photorealistic there isn't much further you can go, which leaves one to wonder what the point of new consoles will be then. I'll freely admit I might have missed something, as I said I don't know a whole lot about the PS5 yet and how it's different from the PS4 aside from being a little faster, so feel free to enlighten me, I don't mind. :)

Consoles really need to start focusing on getting all games to run a steady 60 fps +. Really holding out that the Ps5 can do this. With AMD for once doing great in the market, im having high hopes

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Oh but that's an argument that comes up with every console generation - How much better can it get? And yet every time it gets better, and every time we look back at an older generation and, in comparison, it looks pretty meh.

I think we still have a ways to go. The capacities of the hardware is one thing, but the other factor is development time and money. This console generation pushed that boundary again, with e.g. Horizon taking six years and most high end games taking three years of development. I think the limit there isn't reached either, not when game sales keep on overtaking one another over time (thanks to the world as a whole becoming more connected, hardware and software becoming more widely available to more people).

Previous consoles weren't truly photorealistic though. Now we're getting to the point that they are. So my question was how can you tell a game from one photorealistic console (PS4) apart from a game from another photorealistic console (PS5) and be able to tell which game goes with which console just based on looking at them?

Reactions: LNK

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

General Info

• The official name is PlayStation 5.
• Releasing Holidays 2020.
• Ray tracing support is hardware-based.
• New SSD will help boot times, loading times and streaming.
• The controller now has adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, new speakers, USB Type-C.
• Physical games for the console will use 100 GB optical disks.
• Optical drive also acts as a 4k Blu-ray player.

Additional Info

• The dev kits (which were leaked) are actually real and developers have access to them.
• A new modular approach to storing data. Finer grain access to data, as opposed to big blocks. Ex: Users might have the ability to install only Multiplayer components of the game.
• Completely revamped UI.
• The new controller will have a larger battery capacity and will be a bit heavier than Dualshock 4.
• Haptic feedback for PS4 Pro's Dual Shock 4 could have been implemented, but was decided against.
• Bluepoint studios (folks behind the Shadow of the Colossus remaster) are working on a "big" PS5 title.
• The GPU has been used to power Machine learning.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Nice to know it has a 4K player. If it's a decent one I hope I can ditch the one I have.

Physical games for the console will use 100 GB optical disks.

Looks like we're going back to one disc for Remake part 2 then :awesome:

Ite

AKA
Ite
PS3 was fully backwards compatible once upon a time. I know this because I played FF12 on my brother’s PS3 in 2008. Shortly afterwards, PS3s started coming out unable to play old games. I guess Sony decided they “couldn’t” with the “technology” they had, and they made us all buy digital copies and remasters.

They gave us the same song and dance when PS4 was announced. We’re not like those misers at Microsoft, they said, but they were.
I’ll eat my hat if PS5 is fully backwards compatible. Why would a Corp throw good money away when modern teens don’t even know what backwards compatibility is, besides something old people wistfully hope for, like flying skateboards or a free Tibet.

Reactions: LNK

ForceStealer

Double Growth
PS3s only lost the ability to play PS2 games, @Mr. Ite . Every one that was ever made played PS1 games. I have played PS1 discs on my slim PS3 numerous times. The reason was because the original PS3s essentially had a PS2 emotion engine inside them. Then they did away with it to cut costs. But they all just emulated PS1 games.

PS3's wackyshack cell processor is supposedly the problem for PS4. But the PS4 is regular x86 architecture, like a PC. PS5 will also be the same architecture, and so therefore being backwards compatible to PS4 will be nothing. So I expect it, like Lex.
The PS5 would also be easily capable of emulating PS1, and probably capable of emulating PS2, which isn't so hard anymore. I very much doubt it would play PS3 games though. So if that's the requirement for "fully backwards compatible," I guess your hat is safe :monster:

Personally, my PS3 (and even the 2) are still hooked up, so I would just need the PS5 to be BC with PS4 so it can replace that one on the shelf.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But for the record, I do think they should make it backwards compatible with as much as they can. It will be a big a selling point, and then people will by hte digital releases anyway because it's more convenient. I don't think it actually cuts into the rerelease sales substantially.

Lex

Administrator
Yeah it's not gonna be fully backwards compatible but I expect it to play PS4 games at the very least due to matching architecture. I will be insanely surprised if they play PS3 games beyond PS Now.

They have patented a lot of backwards-compatibility tech so it would be really nice if they gave us PS1/ PS2 BC (or at the very least PS1 with some nice upscaling options) but if they don't, they don't. The system will definitely be capable of software emulation for both though.

JonRON2000

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
The ShinRa Turk
I can understand PS4 discs working but not PS3 and older. The digital copies of the PS1 and PS2 Classics, perhaps? They're on the PS Store or would that be part of the emulation problem, too?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
There should be no reason why any PS1 or PS2 classics bought on PS4 wouldn't work on PS5, due to the same architecture. Presumably ones bought on PS3 are built to use the Cell so they can't transfer. But that could just be BS sony sold us, when it comes to emulation, I don't know.

And really, anything that can play the PS1 or PS2 classics shouldn't have any problem playing the respective discs as long as it has a compatible laser diode, which i guess would be the potential hangup. But how much could CD and DVD laser diodes possible cost these days?

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Ps5 controller shown in patent images.

Untitled-4-768x753.jpg

Fangu

Great Old One
Oh no that thing looks just as fucking huge as the PS4 controller :( :( :( My hands cannot cope!!

I've been using my PS3 lately and dear lord I miss those controllers so much :sob:

Reactions: Ite
Top Bottom