• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Playstation 5

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
Oh that's a really good callout for why they look the way that they do. Just for some fun reference, this is what the PS4 Devkits looked like:

1bbk3htcxe211.jpg

X:neo:

That game on the monitor looked pretty cool, so I wanted to check it out. I’d never heard of “Daymare”, but it still isn’t out in the US apparently! Talk about long development times. This was on a PS4 devkit and still isn’t out at the very end of the PS4 lifecycle lol.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
People are dumb and always expect hype events at every turn. This was always supposed to be a GDC talk and people still expect trailers or a console reveal etc.
This is precisely it. The talk was meant for professionals at a trade show, but had to become a livestream due to the circumstances. All of the details gave me confidence that the PS5 is a worthy successor in the PlayStation lineup.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

"UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.
We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.
In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!"

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
All of the tech behind the haptic feedback seems like it's gonna be really awesome. It's neat to have a built in mic for casual stuff. I bet we're gonna get some REALLY damn good looking custom controller options as game tie-ins and other things with the way that the colors are all divided up. I am super surprised that the Triangle, Square, Circle, X aren't colored in the base version though. I'm curious if they'll launch with multiple different looks or just the one.

This also makes me think that the PS5 itself is likely gonna be a blend of White & Black, too.

X :neo:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Remember back when Sony thought having a big shiny dildo for a controller was going to be the next big step in ergonomics? How times have changed :monster:

I don't like the colour scheme, and it looks a tad chunky ala the old Xbox controllers, but I'll reserve judgment. I thought the PS4 controllers looked chunky when I first saw them and they ended up feeling pretty great to hold.

Lex

Administrator
I agree, I need the PS colour logo after having seen all those mockups now lol.

I don't really care about the look of the controller, I can say the biggest positive for me is that it looks ridiculously comfortable. Which is what actually matters when it comes to using a controller. People all over the internet saying it's ugly are the same people that landed us with the DS3 lol.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
As much as I love the classic PlayStation controller (it has aged very well IMO), as well as the PS4 controller, this new controller does look crazily ergonomic. The face buttons look a tad small, but I’m getting some good PSP vibes from the d-pad - they are clear like the PSP ones, right? My eyes might deceive me.

All-in-all, the colors would make the design 400% better. The shoulder buttons look like they have a surprising amount of give to them, given how tall they are.

I definitely prefer the all black one with the colored logo and buttons to the actual one. It kind of looks like they were going for an Apple-ish look but didn't quite hit the mark. And I hope the white won't get grungy from use. Oh well, I don't really care what it looks like as long as it's comfortable.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
I'm starting to think that regardless of how much I want to play FF7R, it'd make more sense financially to not buy a PS4 Pro, even if I find a deal for under $300, and put the money toward however much the PS5 will be. Granted the next 6-7 months of avoiding spoilers would be quite difficult (or perhaps impossible).... but hopefully worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom