Playstation 5

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Chris had a different voice in VII already though

...What the fuck?

For 3 years I thought Roger Craig Smith returned to voice Chris Redfield in the "Not a Hero" chapter in RE7, but apparently it was some dude named David Vaughn....

So he just perfectly fucking mimicked Roger's voice and fooled me. Awesome :monster:

...But Roger Craig Smith was Chris in Resident Evil Vendetta and Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite.

What the hell, Capcom?

What the hell..?

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I love the new aesthetic and style of the RE Engine games VII and up. It's the exact type of new life and refreshing the series needed to stay on top.

I love the fuck out of the RE4-RE6 era. They're some of the most entertaining, enjoyable and badass games I have played from Capcom.

But they are not scary in the least. They simply aren't anymore. They're the B-Action Movie Era of Resident Evil, where the action was juxtaposed with some B-horror elements. The series became desensitized to itself. The Revelations sub-series was a return to form which was awesome, but it wasn't enough. A complete fresh start, utilizing the console's entire potential is what was necessary to get Resident Evil back on track as a cutting edge Horror franchise.

Capcom can call back to the other sides of Resident Evil and it's style with games like Resistance and the Remakes, but in order for Resident Evil to not die like Silent Hill did, it has to evolve and challenge itself. It has to periodically refresh itself.

You’re definitely right about a lot there. If RE didn’t change, I’m convinced it would become more of a niche series, even in spite of the Remake line’s success. The comparison to Silent Hill’s death as a series is pretty apt.

Remakes fill the void for the desire for the classic style, while the mainline ones push the series in a fresh direction. After the low point 5 and 6 were, I see why Capcom would want to do that, regardless.

Agreed on the character designs / VAs. Somewhat related to that, If I had to pick one main gripe I have with the new direction, I think they shouldn’t be afraid to have stylish characters again at a minimum. (The VII ones are very “normal” feeling)

Still, you’ve changed my mind on the new direction as a whole.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
My initial reaction to the game lineup was kinda lukewarm, but the more I think about it now, the more the highlights are sticking out to me. Spider-Man and Athia especially!

Edit:
And Demon Souls Remake.
AD109458-D140-44CD-87DA-338549CED232.jpegPS4 to PS5 is a bigger jump than PS3 to PS4 was.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think I'm officially an old man now. I finally got around to watching the event, and nothing really stuck out to me as all that interesting, it's all just ki da blending together in my memory already (except dinosaur high school lol.) The guy mentions that in the past their artistic vision was limited by the tech, but I feel like the art was actually born from those limitations. Now it seems like you can do anything, so things don't strike me as impressive as much.
Get off my lawn.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
It might seem that way now but just give it a few years into its life cycle for them to reach the bottle neck ceilling, the limitations will show up and we all will be impressed again by what they achived in such outdated (by that point) hardware.

Rise and repeat for every new cycle of tech development.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think that everything about the new controller being white & black is literally all just to make it match the console. I think that the console itself is both designed the way that it is, but also with the white sides specifically to optimize around airflow for keeping the system cool, in order to avoid the airplane-like fans that the PS3/PS4 have when they're ramping up to handle things that are a bit more intensive. Everything about the design screams that it's built prioritized around function, since those white sides won't absorb or hold in heat, and the ventilation out the top is all about letting air escape naturally, and even the flared out effect is all about airflow. I love that it's a functional design prioritization with an aesthetic adjusted to match.

When it comes to custom units for game releases and things, I think that we're probably more likely to get decals for the white sides than we are different colors for those pieces, and that the black plastic bits will be variable colors, since it really seems like they'd be likely to do performance testing specifically with the white helping to keep the system cool.

Vis-a-vis the games:
  • Hooray for Miles as Spider-man!
  • Solar Ash & Little Devil Inside have me excited from KickStarter connections to those projects.
  • Kena has me really looking forward to how amazing cinematography is gonna be done for projects like this.
  • Reternal was called, "All You Need Is Kill-thulu" by my buddy, which sums it up perfectly.
  • Pragmata & Project Athia are a long way off, but I'm excited for both of them.
  • That dynamic lighting in Hitman & Resident Evil VIII have me really looking forward to dynamic lighting being super spooky.
  • I feel much like I need to HZD at some point now, because it looks super pretty.
  • I might have to try playing Demon's Souls again now. :mon:

X :neo:

I'm looking forward to the Demon's Souls remake since I never got the chance to play the original (I played Bloodborne last year and absolutely adored it; I'm going through the series but I've only played BB and DS1 remastered so far). However, and I know it's completely unrealistic, but, from a preservation standpoint, I wish these sorts of dramatic remakes/"reimaginings" included a version (with performance updates, obviously) of the original, as well. Bluepoint's Shadow of the Colossus remake was obviously a good-looking game, but it was a rather... generic prettiness - the atmosphere of the original wasn't there, IMO; it was really weird to play. In general, it just doesn't sit quite right with me when the original games get stuck on outdated consoles while the remakes with minimal/no involvement from the original teams are the only ones accessible on modern systems.

Top Bottom