Pokémon General Thread

Those unused Pokemon are really interesting. There are some questionable ones but also some solid designs, too. I really like the baby and evolved Tangela. Gotta love baby Grimer, too, cute little blob.

I was kind of iffy about the lack of random encounters/wild Pokemon battles in the Let's Go games, but thinking about it more (that is, remembering Mt. Moon :monster: ), I'm warming up to the idea. The Go stuff and "simplifications" make them kind of sound like stripped down remakes, but they look cute enough (though visually rather reminiscent of the 3DS games) and either way there's still the new gen in 2019. Not being able to evolve the starter Eevee is wack, though.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Pokemon Sword and Shield for Switch:

I swear they've been going out of their way to make up for the very strong start with Charmander and Cyndaquil by making one lame/boring fire starter after another ever since.
Exciting to see a proper Pokemon game on a home console, though :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
If it looked more like a bunny than Buster from Tiny Toons, I might feel differently. But there's also the fact that this is all but guaranteed to evolve into another Fire/Fighting (even if they don't technically give it the Fighting type)

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Pokemon Sword and Shield for Switch:

I swear they've been going out of their way to make up for the very strong start with Charmander and Cyndaquil by making one lame/boring fire starter after another ever since.
Exciting to see a proper Pokemon game on a home console, though :monster:

I need to get the Switch then.

Pokemon doesn't need crazy graphics, but, as this is the first mainline console game, ditching the fixed camera would've been nice. I do like how colorful the region looks. It's hard to tell how big the world is going to be, but I hope it's bigger and less linear than in the previous games. I'm fine with the series not really changing at all, but I just wish they'd emphasize the exploration/adventure feel a bit more.

I'm going with the water starter for sure. Tbh, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the starter designs this time around (and I thought X/Y's and Sun/Moon's were great); they feel sort of samey (to each other and to previous Pokemon). The female MC's hat doesn't look completely awful, though, so that's nice.

I liked the Fennekin line and Litten (not crazy about Incineroar, though), but yeah. Sooo tired of fire/fighting typing, especially, I even forgot Incineroar wasn't actually that type, since design-wise it feels like it should be.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
ForceStealer said:

torchic says shut your whore mouth and apologize

also it seems like the chinese zodiac theory still applies :monster:

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Torchic is fine, I guess. But then a fighting chicken? No thanks. Same with Fennekin, fine, but then some mage thing? (and bipedal yet again)

Incineroar is terrible. It's a reject Thundercat.
Someone on Deviantart made this for a concept:
litten_line_evolution_concept__by_logancure_by_logancure_da88bmb-fullview.jpg

THERE'S a fuckin' Pokemon!

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
I liked the bunny too, Tangerine. I thought it was funny that they were having to clean up all the damage the bunny was doing lol.

As for the game itself... I have mixed feelings. It’s still Pokémon and you gotta love Pokémon. I was really wanting that “BotW” moment from them, though. Everyone keeps saying that’s unrealistic. Why exactly? This was, what, their first ever mainline game on a home console ever? Because I don’t remember any before, only spinoffs like Pokémon Stadium and Pokken. So I don’t see why this couldn’t, or honestly can’t since we still don’t know everything about this, be their shining moment.

The graphics look fine. My biggest issue is the fixed camera. It looks pretty obvious that we are still going to have a fixed camera. It’s 2019 by the way. Yes, 2019. Grab a calendar, GameFreak. Even God of War ditched the fixed camera, and look how that turned out. Also from what I remember seeing (It was early and I was barely awake) they ditched the Pokémon being visible on the screen. I’m not talking about the Pokémon that follow you around, I don’t care about that, I’m talking about the random encounters out in the wilderness. Why would it be so hard to keep the Pokémon out in the world?

So anyways, we still have a lot to learn about this game. There’s things they could change, and who knows? Maybe the fixed camera would be an option. I’m pretty sure I have seen games before that give you an option of fixed or not. Overall, though, I thought it was time for the series to get a bit of an overhaul and it doesn’t appear that’s what we are getting, so a bit disappointing.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Scorbunny is adorable, but if it turns out to be another fire fighting combo/furry, I'm going to throw my Switch out the window.

Also, I have to get a Switch first. (Will be getting one for muh birthday.)

As for the game itself... I have mixed feelings. It’s still Pokémon and you gotta love Pokémon. I was really wanting that “BotW” moment from them, though. Everyone keeps saying that’s unrealistic. Why exactly? This was, what, their first ever mainline game on a home console ever? Because I don’t remember any before, only spinoffs like Pokémon Stadium and Pokken. So I don’t see why this couldn’t, or honestly can’t since we still don’t know everything about this, be their shining moment.

I think it comes down to the fact that GameFreak doesn't have much incentive to make any big changes to the series' formula because Pokemon is super popular and will sell well even if only minimal changes are made. I feel like it's more likely for them to try something different with a spin-off title rather than one of the mainline games - that way, they can mix things up while avoiding backlash because they always have the mainline games to fall back on. I'm a bit miffed that this kind of looks more like a prettier 3DS game than a true leap forward in terms of presentation. I'll still get it, since I love Pokemon, and I don't necessarily expect big changes from the series, but, yeah, I think things like a non-fixed camera would go a long way towards making this feel a bit fresher.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
Scorbunny is adorable, but if it turns out to be another fire fighting combo/furry, I'm going to throw my Switch out the window.

Also, I have to get a Switch first. (Will be getting one for muh birthday.)

Yeah, your post made me remember about the evolutions. I’m either going with the bunny or the water lizard, I think, but the evolutions will decide that. If I don’t like the evolutions of those two but I do like the monkey’s, then I’ll go with that. Really I like all three of the starters.

Another thing I didn’t think about until now is weather patterns. I would love for them to add weather patterns to this game, similar to Animal Crossing. Have we even seen that in a Pokémon game before? If so, I don’t remember it. A day/night cycle is a must, too. Weather changes and day/night cycles just always make the world feel more alive to me.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
Did anyone watch the direct? I thought it kicked ass! Super stoked for Sword and Shield. Camera control, finally!!! That was the biggest thing I wanted from the game. It also looks like some Pokémon will be in the overworld again, like Let’s Go? I couldn’t tell for sure on that, but it seemed like it to me. If so, that’s awesome. That was the second thing I wanted most from the game. If camera control and Pokémon being visible in the world are both present, this game will be just about perfect! Can’t wait.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I just watched the trailer and all I can think is "SWORD DOG SWORD DOG"

I am totally naming Sword Dog "Repede"

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I saw it too, and I saw plenty of cool things in the upcoming Pokemon games. I was shocked at first at the idea of how trainers have the bracelet power to grow their Pokemon into giants and then capture giant Pokemon, but that quickly changed to how I thought it looked really cool!

*Jokingly* Looks like Bigachu(giant Pikachu as seen twice in the Pokemon anime) is back, lol.:mon:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
sigh...

I don't think I have ever gone SO INCREDIBLY excited to how utterly deflated I feel after this E3, with regards to Pokemon.

The removal of National Dex is the end of mainline Pokemon games for me. It completely ruins the experience and I am very upset for a lot of reasons I am too sad to articulate.

I was going to happily go ahead an pre-order the game this week, but at this point I'm gonna wait for it to come in used - that is, if I am going to play it at all.

What a sad day to be a Pokemon fan. I am hoping that the blowback makes Game Freak reconsider this decision, but my hopes aren't high right now.

:(

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
The lack of a national dex really does take the excitement out of me.

I mean, I haven't ever managed to fill all the dex entries for most of my Pokemon games, but the challenge was always fun. Don't kill off my dreams like this, Gamefreak.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I still think Black and White are the worst Pokemon games in the series so far, because I remember that having only the fifth generation Pokemon available and none of the other Pokemon species apart from Pikachu. At least Sword and Shield still have some of the other regional Pokemon. I get why they couldn't put all of them in due to the "dynamaxing" feature and if they did end up putting all of the Pokemon there, we wouldn't be getting these games until late next year.

DigitiziedGorilla

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Gorilla
Hey, you spritely young whipper-snappers! Me and a couple of friends went to see the Detective Pikachu movie the other week and it made us really nostalgic about the original 151 Pokemon! We were wondering how much our old cards would be worth these days, not that we wanted to sell them, but just out of curiosity. I'm not sure how accurate this infographic is, but if the figures are accurate I could be sitting on some serious money! Does anyone know how accurate these figures are? https://www.progressivemoney.co.uk/money-blog/saving-tips/most-valuable-pokemon-cards

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
^Are you a bot, DigitizedGorilla? :kermit: if so, at least you're accurate in posting in the right thread and all...
I wouldn't know, I was forced to give away my pokemon cards as a kid.

I still think Black and White are the worst Pokemon games in the series so far, because I remember that having only the fifth generation Pokemon available and none of the other Pokemon species apart from Pikachu. At least Sword and Shield still have some of the other regional Pokemon. I get why they couldn't put all of them in due to the "dynamaxing" feature and if they did end up putting all of the Pokemon there, we wouldn't be getting these games until late next year.
? But you can still transfer pokemon from gen 4 to gen 5, so long as you have 2 DS's and had unlocked the transfer lab in your gen 5 game though.

If the issue is there's too many pokemon for Dynamax feature, then that can easily be bypassed by only letting the Dynamax feature apply to a certain number of pokemon, just like how only a few pokemon can mega-evolve. And even then, it didn't stop them from letting every pokemon be able to use Z-moves in gen 7, right?

I heard (from a friend while we caught up on E3 stuff) that the lack of a national dex is because the relationship between Nintendo and Gamefreak is deteriorating and given what speculation I've read thus far: jesus christ it's a clusterfuck.

I think this might be the first main Pokemon game I won't buy at launch. I was in the middle of breeding a bunch of pokemon to transfer to the next gen game, and now it's practically for nothing.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
But you can still transfer pokemon from gen 4 to gen 5, so long as you have 2 DS's and had unlocked the transfer lab in your gen 5 game though.

Yeah, but the lack of any of the wild Pokemon pre-Generation 5 wasn't my cup of tea, the gameplay was edgy as I found, especially the triple battle, and the story wasn't that great either.

If the issue is there's too many pokemon for Dynamax feature, then that can easily be bypassed by only letting the Dynamax feature apply to a certain number of pokemon, just like how only a few pokemon can mega-evolve. And even then, it didn't stop them from letting every pokemon be able to use Z-moves in gen 7, right?

Maybe they're starting to have problems with the current program? I have no idea.

I heard (from a friend while we caught up on E3 stuff) that the lack of a national dex is because the relationship between Nintendo and Gamefreak is deteriorating and given what speculation I've read thus far: jesus christ it's a clusterfuck.

I didn't know that. Since when did this start?

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Yeah, but the lack of any of the wild Pokemon pre-Generation 5 wasn't my cup of tea, the gameplay was edgy as I found, especially the triple battle, and the story wasn't that great either.

That's fair, if a current gen of Pokemon don't appeal to you. :monster: Since Sword and Shield don't have a national dex, it really doesn't appeal as much to me now...

Maybe they're starting to have problems with the current program? I have no idea.

Possibly, but I kinda doubt it since with SM/USUM they were able program Z moves of every type for every Pokemon. It'd be kind of ridiculous that they would have problems like that in comparison, yeah?
And the issue isn't making new 3D models and animations for the next gen, since Gamefreak has been using the same 3D models they've made since XY for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

I didn't know that. Since when did this start?
I can't say, and to be honest, I'm not certain if it's actually true. I mean, there's a lot of speculation, (and a lot of good speculation) but that's all it is. It'd make sense if it was true, but no proof or official statements would make it hard to verify. Or maybe I haven't looked closely enough. :monster:

To be honest, if it's because Gamefreak wants to release Sword and Shield on time that they're cutting out the national dex, then I would rather wait another year or so for the national dex. I mean, Nintendo is pushing back the release date of the next Animal Crossing game so that they don't overwork their development team, so why not should Gamefreak do the same? I'd rather have a quality game coming out at a later date than have a terrible game rushed out at the earliest date.

Top Bottom