Pokémon Go!

There will be generations of bloodshed worldwide, as borders of nations are replaced with the borders of Teams. The world's values, language, economy, science, EVERYTHING will be molded after and by the REVOLUTION!

*waves Team Mystic flag and goes to battle Team Valor and Team Instinct*

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I can't speak to what the game is ostensibly supposed to do with this then. I just know I've seen other players say this, and that it matches my own experience (again). I've stayed 4-5 levels ahead of my girlfriend, and it's not unusual for her to be standing right next to me and to see Spearows on her list where I see Fearows.

This is the first I'm hearing that such a mechanic isn't supposed to be part of the game.

I've been reading you guy's interesting discussion about Go's mechanics but I just wanted to chime in on this point. I have been playing alongside my housemate and we are at least 7 levels apart and there is definitely a difference in the Pokemon that spawn on the list and in the area.

I hate to come off sounding like "that guy" but I work with a bunch of programmers and engineers who all also play the game, and we have things like an App set up to alert us to what Pokémon are within 200m of our office every 10 mins that functions using the Pokémon GO APIs.

I can tell you with complete certainty that the Pokémon that spawn in an area are 100% the same for all players there, regardless of their level (again, with the only exception being ones that appear just to you when you use Incense on yourself). You can go look at something like http://pokevision.com/ and see what Pokémon are at any given location, because the Pokémon that are spawned in the world are identical for all users. If they changed on a per-level-basis, Apps like that wouldn't work globally, because it would all be spawning off of single-user-specific data (like Incense does).

It's the same reason that if there's a rare Pokémon that spawns somewhere, EVERYONE can run over and catch it (something I got to do with an Aerodactyl downtown last weekend).

I don't mind you being That Guy if you don't mind me reiterating that my experience -- which I obviously know better than anyone else -- on multiple occasions has not aligned with it. =P

Likewise, pointing out that Pokevision doesn't always match what's on my screen. :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I don't mind you being That Guy if you don't mind me reiterating that my experience -- which I obviously know better than anyone else -- on multiple occasions has not aligned with it. =P

Likewise, pointing out that Pokevision doesn't always match what's on my screen. :monster:

Not at all! I'm used to roaming around with groups or 4-10 people of varying levels, so that's why I'm skeptical on a smaller, subjective dataset. :awesomonster:

For clarification when you say that it doesn't match what's, "On your screen" do you mean the Pokémon that appear on the Nearby tracker – or Pokémon that're actually standing in front of your character that you can click on to try and catch?

The Nearby tracker is... interestingly quirky based on how it queries the 1-9 results for each user, and what it thinks is still nearby, what's been displayed, and what it's shuffled and replaced based on new Pokémon showing up – especially since the step system and all of that doesn't seem to be getting any of the good location data from the server at this point, (so it's a bit of a shitshow right now for what you see there, especially with the 3-Step thing).

Regardless of what the tracker does or doesn't show, that doesn't at all impact how the Pokémon generate within the world. There's never been a case where a single user's been able to see a Pokémon at X location where they're standing, that all other users at the same location haven't also been able to see, regardless of current level (up until said Pokémon disappears).

tl;dr – Different Pokémon don't generate based on user level. The only changes users will see are the starting CP values when you try to catch it that are a constraint of their level's allowed CP range. (The Pokémon's height/weight data will also be the same for all users catching it).

If you're standing around as a level 30 player, and a Dragonite appears in front of you (again, not just on the tracker), a level 5 player will still see the Dragonite. You can both catch it, and it'll have the same height/weight, but it'll likely have different CP.

X :neo:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
So does anyone else get the 'GPS signal not found' when they try to play? I get it everywhere I've played so far, even in the middle of town where there should be plenty of wifi signals.

So far I can't play the game at home, as in it'll load up but no Pokemon appears.
In town Pokemon do appear, but only within the first 20 seconds of the game being on, before the 'no GPS' thing pops up. I can catch any pokemon that had appeared by then, though.

I've tried leaving the app, turning my iPad on and off, logging out of the game and logging back in, made sure my location setting is on (both for my iPad and for the game), ect. So far nothing has changed and the 'no GPS' still pops up. Is this just a server issue then?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I only get it for a few seconds when I switch back to it and it catches up. Do you have the GPS whatnot enabled on your device?

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
What would you call the GPS whatnot and how would I enable it? :monster:
I only figured the location services being allowed was good enough, haven't seen a GPS thing on my iPad yet...

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
If you open Google Maps or a similar service, does it have the same issue?

If yes, it's your thing. If no, it's the app. In a nutshell, :monster:. Do you have the 3G / cellular version or a wifi version? The wifi version relies on apple's database of known wifi hotspots, which should be pretty accurate but IDK. The cellular version should have a GPS module, the wifi version, don't think it does (reading on the internets that the cellular hardware / chip also contains the GPS stuffs)

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Personally, I only get the no GPS signal message for a brief moment when it needs to reconnect due to switching tabs or my phone auto-locking. I can attest to finding a variety of pokemon regardless of level as I caught a 250 CP Dragonite at lvl 5. It seems that time and quantity of active phone signals affects the spawn frequency, since I've noticed pokemon show up more often at certain times than others. Day and night also seems to affect requency os certain types of pokemon, as I mostly find Ghastly, Clefairy and Zubat at night or in the evening. Another thing I've noticed is that pokemon tend to spawn in the same spots and that the exact location can vary a bit for certain people. Back to the Dragonite, while a lot of people got it on the street corner, I and a few others had to cross the street in order to find and catch it. I've also noticed pokestop lures being more effective when more people are around and that pokestops refresh even if you stay within range. There also seems to be an occasional delay between one person encountering a pokemon and another encountering it despite both being in range.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Flare, are you using an Android device? If so, go to Settings > Locations (it may be under "More") > Mode and select "High accuracy."

I've seen others having a similar issue, and this fixed it.

Otherwise, my experience with getting the "GPS signal not found" message is the same as what Starling described -- it only happens for me (briefly) if I've toggled out of the PoGO app to the home screen/another app and then toggled back into the PoGO app.

X said:
For clarification when you say that it doesn't match what's, "On your screen" do you mean the Pokémon that appear on the Nearby tracker – or Pokémon that're actually standing in front of your character that you can click on to try and catch?

I think it's just the Nearby list. I'll pay closer attention next time I'm running Pokevision to see if it also applies to Pokés near enough to catch.

X said:
The Nearby tracker is... interestingly quirky based on how it queries the 1-9 results for each user, and what it thinks is still nearby, what's been displayed, and what it's shuffled and replaced based on new Pokémon showing up – especially since the step system and all of that doesn't seem to be getting any of the good location data from the server at this point, (so it's a bit of a shitshow right now for what you see there, especially with the 3-Step thing).

Regardless of what the tracker does or doesn't show, that doesn't at all impact how the Pokémon generate within the world. There's never been a case where a single user's been able to see a Pokémon at X location where they're standing, that all other users at the same location haven't also been able to see, regardless of current level (up until said Pokémon disappears).
Well, that I can believe. The Nearby tracker has been shit since the end of the first week of the app's release, and that's what I can confirm is inconsistent between players. I can say with certainty that I've not got in a direction where a Pokémon appeared and my gf been unable to get the same Poké to appear if she went that way too.

That said, it may have taken up to 30 seconds longer for her to get it to appear, per the odd delay Starling mentioned encountering. I doubt that's related to levels, though.

On a related note, do you know if "catching range" increases with level? My gf and I had wondered about that, because it does seem like she has to move farther down the road sometimes to get a Poké to appear, and there's been occasions we were sitting in the car or a restaurant and I could access a nearby PokéStop while she could not.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I looked at google maps with my iPad but I didn't see any problems. :monster: I didn't download the app for it, just looked at it on the web.
Also, yeah I have an Apple iPad Tres, not an Android. I wondered if it being an iPad was a problem (I'm obviously not going to waltz around town with this and it has to be connected to wifi to work anyways). But it's just strange. I'm guessing it's on the apps end then. :I

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
@Tres: (On my phone, so it'll be a short reply). Catching range doesn't increase. That's just a matter of GPS tracking being a little fiddly at times for precise positioning. Same thing happens to us, and used to happen in Ingress as well. It's the same reason you tend to drift when standing too close to tall buildings and things as well.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
pokemon_go__by_wlop-dac1bhe.jpg

http://wlop.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-GO-624878690

How fun this would be, eh? :awesome:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Gaiz I'm having a moment.. all this new Pokemon love has really just my insides turn all jelly... I mean, for a fan who's been there since I was like, god I dunno, 7 or 8, seeing how something that's shaped you as you've grown up is now being appreciated on such a massive scale and bringing people and strangers together in a way only fandoms can.. it's just so beautiful. ;-;

AND THEN THIS STUPID SONG RESURFACES AND ALL MY FEELS ARE SPILLING EVERYWHERE

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Have any of you seen all the fanart that was made after the team leader designs were revealed? There's a lot of it.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I just updated it (to see if that was true) and got an insta-pop up warning me not to Play Pokemon Go and drive.

<.< I don't do that.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
My radar isn't showing much at the moment but everything is still showing three steps for me. The map also screwed up the parks in that some of them are no longer shaded the way they were before and none of the paths in those areas are shown. On the other hand, houses that used to be absent (including mine and my neighbors') are finally there, though entire streets are missing.

Top Bottom