Project S and Genesis

Aya

Juken Club
Ok just too be warned there are spoilers below:

In my opinion I really really did not like Genesis. He wanted too join SOLDIER so he could become like his hero Sephiroth. Then when the lime light kept going on Sephiroth he started too get annoyed, so then he started too try and re act LOVELESS. Not only did he put Sephiroth in a bad situation he put his so called best friend Angeal in a very sticky situation.

Then too add the icing to the cake. He decides too tell Sephiroth "the truth" come on he KNEW it would not go well. Sephiroth finding that out is enough too drive anyone mad and in CC you can tell how insecure Sephiroth is. Then too add insult to injury he asked Sephiroth for his cells after everything he had said too him and put him through. If it would of been me I would of punched him in the face:lol:

I did not like Genesis the slightest the spoilt brat that did not seem too mind destrying anything and anyone as long as he got his own way. If it wern't for him. Sephiroth would of retired sunning himself in Costa Del Sol with a load of screaming fangirls lol:lol:

And to the other part of the topic. I have played on FFVII, CC and DOC loads of times and watched AC loads. (Can't wait for ACC btw) But one thing I don't understand. The scientists knew that Project G was a failure but Project S was not. How come they did not do more of the same project? I really don't get why Hojo did not do more.

Anyway I have waffled on for too long now lol in a bit!!!:lol:

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
Think of it this way, this is how I saw it. Genesis joined to be like Sephiroth (if he truly even had a choice considering he wasnt even with his real parents because of all Shinra did to him), but then when Sephiroth starting getting into the lime light, Genesis didnt think Sephiroth was very deserving of the attention for whatever the reason may be, attitude or whatever.

He told him the truth, the truth he found out HIMSELF as well. Of course it wouldnt go well, it didnt go well for Genesis either. And of course he asked Sephiroth for his cells. They were friends and rivals, and both shared a common bond from the experimentation.

Sephiroth would have eventually found out. Hojo would have ended up saying something.

The reason why they didnt do more with the project is because it was a success and they didnt want multiple Sephiroths running around. Hell, they couldnt even control one when he decided to turn back against the world.

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
In my opinion I really really did not like Genesis. He wanted too join SOLDIER so he could become like his hero Sephiroth. Then when the lime light kept going on Sephiroth he started too get annoyed, so then he started too try and re act LOVELESS. Not only did he put Sephiroth in a bad situation he put his so called best friend Angeal in a very sticky situation.

Then too add the icing to the cake. He decides too tell Sephiroth "the truth" come on he KNEW it would not go well. Sephiroth finding that out is enough too drive anyone mad and in CC you can tell how insecure Sephiroth is. Then too add insult to injury he asked Sephiroth for his cells after everything he had said too him and put him through. If it would of been me I would of punched him in the face:lol:

I did not like Genesis the slightest the spoilt brat that did not seem too mind destrying anything and anyone as long as he got his own way. If it wern't for him. Sephiroth would of retired sunning himself in Costa Del Sol with a load of screaming fangirls lol:lol:

So from what you are saying, you didn't like Genesis because he was acting like a jerk and screwing with people's lives?
Well, this is what villains are supposed to do, you know.

And to the other part of the topic. I have played on FFVII, CC and DOC loads of times and watched AC loads. (Can't wait for ACC btw) But one thing I don't understand. The scientists knew that Project G was a failure but Project S was not. How come they did not do more of the same project? I really don't get why Hojo did not do more.

Because raising a child(to be a super soldier, or not) is too expensive and time-consuming. It's much easier to inject the cells in already grown-up and trained men.
Not to mention, that it would be hard to find other women who would be willing to let Jenova-cells be injected in their babies.

Last edited:

Aya

Juken Club
Wow I got replies!! :awesome::awesome: Thank you and anyways back to topic:

So from what you are saying, you didn't like Genesis because he was acting like a jerk and screwing with people's lives?
Well, this is what villains are supposed to do, you know.
Yeah I know that is true but he did not come across to me as a "villian" but more of a spoilt brat.

Because raising a child(to be a super soldier, or not) is too expensive and time-consuming. It's much easier to inject the cells in already grown-up and trained men.
Not to mention, that it would be hard to find other women who would be willing to let Jenova-cells be injected in their babies.
Yeah I can see it being more cost effective but it obvisouly was more effective with the experiment they did to Sephiroth. I mean they never had anyone else like him.

And Nocturne he joined Soldier as said in CC because he wanted to be like his hero Sephiroth so it is safe to assume Sephiroth was famous by then and he was the first first class SOLDIER. So it is easy to say that he was always going to be second best.

Even if Sephiroth took what Genesis told him in a good way would you be willing to give your cells? After he bitched about how he should of had Sephiroth's fame? Personally after what Genesis had put Sephiroth through and calling him a monster had a cheek. Sephiroth did right by telling him to rot.

Some how I don't think Hojo would of told him. He liked keeping Sephiroth close so then he could watch him and if he told him the truth I don't think Hojo would of lasted very long lol:lol:

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
The scientists knew that Project G was a failure but Project S was not. How come they did not do more of the same project? I really don't get why Hojo did not do more.

Well, the original objective of the S and G projects (and Project Jenova) was to recreate an Ancient, not really a super fighting unit... I can't find the source right now, but I think it's because President Shinra was hoping to use the Ancients' ability to find the Promised Land, which would be full of mako - thus keeping costs of mako extraction down and increasing profits.

I have another question, though. I can't remember exactly what Genesis said - did he want Jenova's cells, or Sephiroth's?

The Crisis Core Scenario Q&A tells us Genesis was looking for Jenova's cells... But when he meets Sephiroth at the Nibel reactor, Jenova is right behind him. Says so right above the chamber that contains her. Maybe I'm missing something pretty obvious here - but why didn't he just bust in and carry her off?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Says so right above the chamber that contains her. Maybe I'm missing something pretty obvious here - but why didn't he just bust in and carry her off?
Shinra military training doesn't include basic literacy :awesome:

In the Japanese version of Crisis Core, when you find Tseng's worn-out old camera, Zack can't read the name/connect it to Tseng. Which would suggest maybe English isn't something everyone is necessarily good at in FFVII. But then he goes and reads "Jenova" just fine, so maybe not :monster:

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave

LOL!

But seriously - so there IS something weird here, right? And I haven't just missed something obvious?

I tried to explain it away to myself, wondering whether they needed Sephiroth's S-type cells, and not just Jenova's. But the Scenario Q&A definitely states their objective as Jenova cells.

I even wondered if Hollander's absence had anything to do with it (such as Genesis not having the scientific know-how to process Jenova's raw cells) - but when Genesis meets Sephiroth in Nibelheim, Hollander's back in Genesis's clutches, right? And presumably working for him?

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
The basic idea with Genesis is that he's so bitter that he doesn't see what's right in front of him. He kills his parents even though they only wanted what was best for him, he kills everyone in Banora because he feels people should suffer like he does, he tells Sephiroth the truth in hopes of an alliance without ever thinking about what the truth tends to do to people (him & Angeal), & at one point, even says he'll destroy Gaia if he has to die.

He's comparable to Final Fantasy IX's Kuja, actually. Although Kuja was an even bigger monster, from what I hear.

As for LOVELESS, I see that as having multiple meanings. In terms of what it meant for Genesis, I think it was an escape from reality.

He's emo, in other words.

But so are Vincent & Cloud, & to an extent, Sephiroth, so he fits right in.

Perhaps now that he's been redeemed, you'll like him more in future titles. Or maybe not, who knows.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

In the Japanese version of Crisis Core, when you find Tseng's worn-out old camera, Zack can't read the name/connect it to Tseng. Which would suggest maybe English isn't something everyone is necessarily good at in FFVII. But then he goes and reads "Jenova" just fine, so maybe not :monster:

It is spelt differently from how it's pronounced (more like Zung instead of Tseng, IIRC), so that might be the cause of it.

Also, Emo is an overused and underdescriptive word.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
He's emo, in other words.

But so are Vincent & Cloud, & to an extent, Sephiroth, so he fits right in.

Perhaps now that he's been redeemed, you'll like him more in future titles. Or maybe not, who knows.

Do you know what "emo" even is?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I guess I'm emo and 99 percent of anime and comic book protagonists are emo :awesome:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Then you definitely don't know what you're talking about fixing that colloquial definition on Cloud, Sephiroth, or Vincent.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I wouldn't mind never seeing Genesis again.

Wasn't fond of him myself. Even looking past the ridiculous shoehorning of Gackt's appearance into the series.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Yeah if they make Genesis into the same dude he was during CC I wouldn't mind seeing him get sucked into a black hole or something.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
So, the term emo is being tossed around flippantly?

:no:

I'd barely call it a subculture, and emotional is pretty vague. If we're talking actual music and style, it has nothing to do with this topic or any of the characters.

I didn't like Genesis simply because he was boring, and pretty much had no personality of his own to offer. Otherwise, I didn't care.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Then you definitely don't know what you're talking about fixing that colloquial definition on Cloud, Sephiroth, or Vincent.

Cloud damn near did nothing while a bunch of orphans were kidnapped because he felt he was useless.

Vincent slept in a coffin for years because he couldn't convince the girl he liked to not experiment with her fetus.

Sephiroth is trying to destroy the world because he was used by Shinra.

Yes, clearly, I have no idea what I'm talking about, & these characters are all happy-go-lucky little rays of fucking sunshine.:awesomonster:

Also, Genesis had plenty of personality. He had few lines. The 2 are not necessarily related.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue

Rookie Adventurer
I wouldn't mind never seeing Genesis again.

Wasn't fond of him myself. Even looking past the ridiculous shoehorning of Gackt's appearance into the series.

Eh they're priming him for the next game as a protagonist anyways, or at least a misunderstood anti-hero type.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Neo Bahamut, I don't want to have to go around manually changing the color of your posts.

And I want my purple.

So help me, if I ever find out who bitched about that, I will eat their souls!

You heard me.

I. Will. Eat. Your. Souls.

Happy 4th of July, kids!

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
He did? I guess I couldn't see it through all of the Loveless quotes. :awesome:

Why yes, that's basically the problem. People spend so much time being annoyed by the quotes that they just sort of write him off. I know, I was doing it myself for a while.

It wasn't until Modeoheim that I started to really "get" Genesis. "If this world desires my destruction...it goes with me." It's not a speech of epic proportions, but it establishes why Genesis does what he does.

Then there are also other cues. You can't tell me you didn't notice the smug look he had when he tripped Zack in Banora.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Genesis may have had personality, but it sure as hell wasn't anything worth note.

And yeah test, his coming role in the plot worries me quite a bit.

And lol @ the emo bullshit still being beaten to death.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yes, clearly, I have no idea what I'm talking about, & these characters are all happy-go-lucky little rays of fucking sunshine.

Ah yes, I see. If you're not happy-go-lucky, you must be emo. The colloquial definition of emo, your "whiney bitch" generally implies that said person is whiney and depressed with no legitimate reason. We've discussed time and time again how Cloud does not fit this category, and Sephiroth certainly isn't. As he says himself, "What do I have to be sad about?"

However, I must agree that people assume Genesis had no lines that weren't out of LOVELESS. Watching my girlfriend play through the game last month, I realized I was guilty of this too, he talked more of his own volition than I had remembered. And as for making him sound like a pretentious douche, I'm not sure we were supposed to like him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom