PS5 3 years off- What, if anything, does this mean for FF7R?

Defeatable

Rookie Adventurer
So a few days ago, several reputable sources quoted the head of Sony as saying the PS5 will launch no earlier than 2021, and me being me, my mind instantly went to the FF7 remake. FF7R is probably going to go multi-platform, but it was at least originally touted as a Sony exclusive, so whatever hardware Sony's pushing at its release is what's going to be most cogent to the argument. We know the Remake is going to be in installments, probably 3, and given the development cycle of Part 1, it's probably going to take longer than 3 years for the subsequent parts to drop.

What I'm trying to say is, if SE releases Part 1 on PS4, and then PS5 drops, are they going to release the subsequent parts on PS5, thus having the awkward scenario of having the FF7 "trilogy" span multiple consoles? Or (as I'm dreading) are they going to use this as an excuse to push Part 1's release back to a PS5 launch title? The third alternative, of course, would be to release each part as both PS4 and PS5 titles as they become available. That would probably be the most ideal route, should they decide to go that way.

What do you all think?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I think they're still making it primarily for the ps4, but with the fact it'll be a multi-release thing (and hopefully not a regular-sized game chopped into bits and released episodically, looking at you Hitman) I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cross-platform thing.

I'm fairly sure the hardware for the PS5 won't be outlandish (like the PS3 etc), so porting it over or doing a higher quality release (if that's even necessary / visible at this point) wouldn't be that big a deal. It also means they could probably have it ready as a launch title, in one form or another.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
What are the odds we get a Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 1: Remastered, on PS5 :monster:

They've done it with just about every other HD remaster

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's a guarantee tbf, given how well remasters sell and/or their profit margins are huge, plus the fact that consoles will never have backwards compatiblity again, even if it's technically (relatively) trivial to implement. After all, Sony gets a kickback for every "remaster" too.

Arala

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I don't think the PS5 will come anytime soon. But... since the Final Fantasy VII Remake is in parts, I think the first will be on the PS4, but any subsequent parts will be on both PS4 and PS5. I hope they won't decide to move the remake to PS5, though. I'm not planning to get a PS5 at all...

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
This is a very good question and something I had been wondering for a while. They'll churn them out on the PS4 then do a PS5 version for the last 1/2, followed by a rerelease of the first one for the ps5.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'd definitely wait on the SE & Sony Conferences today before attempting to make any speculation about how this is gonna shake out.

X :neo:

Top Bottom