PSX 2015 trailer analysis - part 2: battle system (+ MAGIC 2017 screenshots)

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
After the long calm, there are now beginnings of a stir.
The analysis at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear.
But let us embrace whatever it brings.
For it is finally here.
At last, the Beast has been awakened.

As written in the title, this analysis video takes apart the battle sequence of the PSX 2015 trailer as well as those 2 screenshots from MAGIC 2017.

But I must warn you. It's over 1h and 20 minutes long!
Hopefully, you'll take your time to watch the whole thing, even if not everything in one sitting.

Anyway, enjoy the video and please tell me what you think about my analysis.

- Vyzz

P.S.: That appropriation from the E3 trailer narration was originally intended to be a stab at the constant turn-based vs action-based wars over at GameFAQs. While that's not really an issue here, I still wanted to include it for the heck of it.

Last edited:

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
No worries, I went to your channel directly to watch it anyway. It was great and definitely got me thinking (Not to mention excited!). Great work.

When you were discussing character play-styles, I was super excited about playing as a brawler Tifa- but my brain suddenly thought of something else; What about the Nibelheim flashback? Could you imagine playing as SEPHIROTH?! The original was already amazing in his OP-ness but translating that to 3D action could potentially be insane.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
When you were discussing character play-styles, I was super excited about playing as a brawler Tifa- but my brain suddenly thought of something else; What about the Nibelheim flashback? Could you imagine playing as SEPHIROTH?! The original was already amazing in his OP-ness but translating that to 3D action could potentially be insane.
If they keep it close to the original, we won't be able to play as Sephiroth anyway. We would only be able to watch him slaughter all the monsters while doing poor damage ourselves and keep getting shanked by flames and stingers xD

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I dunno. I could see them doing whatever that one Star Wars game did where you play as Darth Vader and just godmode your way through a level.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Thing is, Sephiroth probably feels more intimidating when you can't control him. If you do, you might feel badass, but if you control only the weak Cloud and watch as Sephiroth obliterates everything and has to heal and revive you over and over again, it has more of an impact I think.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
I think you are probably right, actually. And hey, PC mods could possibly give us the experience anyway.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Yup, I'm curious about what the modding community will come up with once a PC version is out. One of the first things will probably be some sort of ATB mod if the battle system turns out to be too actiony. :monster:

NY5OPT1.gif

Dozens upon dozens of observations that were new to me. As always, pure analytical excellence with just enough humor thrown in. Thank you so much for making this!

This video is the first time I hear the numbers 9999 and 99999 worded as "quad-five" and "quint-five" respectively. I quite like it. :monster:

The theories you listed for the use of L1 and R1 above the command menu are the most likely to be true, since they'd be consistent with previous battle menu styles in Nomura games. However I'm still keeping in mind the possibility that L1 and R1 are used either for toggling up and down in the command menu, or to go right (R1) into a sub-menu (such as the list of magic or the item list) and L1 to take a step back to the higher menu.

It would be quite different since we're used to the directional buttons being used both for toggling up and down and for moving to- and from sub-menus (or pressing OK to reach a sub-menu), but I shall remain undecided until more complete footage appears.

Last edited:

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
This video is the first time I hear the numbers 9999 and 99999 worded as "quad-five" and "quint-five" respectively. I quite like it. :monster:
I picked those terms up while watching LoreRunner videos. :awesome:
I quite like those myself, mostly because they are easier to utter than ninetyninethousandninehundredandninetynine :monster:
The theories you listed for the use of L1 and R1 above the command menu are the most likely to be true, since they'd be consistent with previous battle menu styles in Nomura games. However I'm still keeping in mind the possibility that L1 and R1 are used either for toggling up and down in the command menu, or to go right (R1) into a sub-menu (such as the list of magic or the item list) and L1 to take a step back to the higher menu.

It would be quite different since we're used to the directional buttons being used both for toggling up and down and for moving to- and from sub-menus (or pressing OK to reach a sub-menu), but I shall remain undecided until more complete footage appears.
Well, I suppose your version might be another possibility. However, I think it feels more natural using the directional buttons for navigating the battle menu. Also, what would the directional buttons be used for then? And we certainly do need shortcut menus for easier access to our most used spells and skills.

But we shall see. ^_^

And thanks for the ovation!

Also, what would the directional buttons be used for then?
I did not think about that. :monster: Though the idea still appeases my fingers to toggle to- and from sub-menus with the use of R1 and L1, because that is where I always have fingers in place. My thumbs may switch positions depending on any given action, but I always have fingers at the shoulder buttons. That's why the visualization works for me and I imagine myself making fewer mistakes with that button setup for menu navigation.

But, again, I concede your theories are far more likely to be true.

Your video has now been shared on my facebook page.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Thanks for sharing my work! It's already over 700 views and rising, partially thanks to Chip and you.

Regarding the menu navigation: I see your argument there. However, you still need to move up and down to select Attack, Magic, Materia, (Summon?) and Items, which leaves only the up and down directional buttons for that job and if you have to use those, you might as well use left and right for navigating to and from sub-menus.

Top Bottom