Purchasing a PS3 - advice?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I'm looking into purchasing a PS3 at some point in the semi-not-that-far-away future, but I'm not sure what to do as far as titles I need to pick up go. I've come to the conclusion that getting anything I've already got on another platform (360/PC - Mass Effect, I'm looking at you) is out of the question, so I'm thinking exclusives and the like, I guess?

Anyway, right now this is all I've managed to come up with:

Uncharted 1/2/3
Disgaea 3/4
Infamous 1/2
The Last of Us
Valkyria Chronicles
Dragon's Crown
Tales of (something? I forget the name of the one that's on PS3)
White Knight Chronicles
Persona (I think it's 4 that's on PS3, but I know 5 is coming soon)

If anyone could point me in the direction of things I'm missing out on, it would be greatly appreciated.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Tales of Xilia! I haven't played it yet, but that's what it's called and I've heard nothing but good things about it. c: I LOVE THE PS3. IF YOU DOWNLOAD PS MEDIA CENTER ALL OF YOUR SHOWS, MOVIES, MUSIC CAN ALL BE PLAYED ON YOUR PS3 TO YOUR TV SCREEN FROM YOUR COMPUTER. It's how I watched all of Game of Thrones, South Park, many anime series, etc.

Persona 4 arena is for the ps3 but it's also for the 360. Persona 4 itself never came to the ps3 unless I missed something. I know there was rumor of it but I don't remember it ever being official. You should also try out Heavy Rain. I won't lie it's more like story telling rather than gameplay but it's still really interesting and fun... at least it was for me. And ofc there's all the HD collections you can imagine :'))

There's Little Big Planet too.... never played it but I heard it was fun.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
God of War 3 is pretty much a must-have classic, and it should be pretty cheap nowadays.

GTA 5 is another, but tbh I'd try and get it cheap / secondhand, it kinda falls flat once you've finished the main storyline. Can't speak for online, I hardly played it (because there's hardly any players in my experience, lol).

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
There's also Tales of Graces F, but I haven't tracked down any of the PS3/360 Tales games yet myself. Also play Tales of Symphonia HD.

Also get MGS4. But play through all of the Metal Gears beforehand if you haven't for maximum effect (MG 1 & 2--included with a copy of MGS3 Subsistence, then MGS 1, 2, & of course 3/Subsistence. MGS Portable Ops for PSP can't hurt either, but 4 basically covers the territory of the main games)

FFX HD

Yakuza 3 and its spinoffs

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Persona 4 Golden is on the Vita.

If you can you should get the PS Plus subscription, you'll get a lot of free games and discounts on others. I've gotten some awesome indies games thanks to PS Plus and other big games.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Definitely play through Journey at least once. It's only three hours long, but that game is all about the experience of traveling with another anonymous player. The soundtrack is also one of the most gorgeous musical scores you will ever hear. It's quite a beautiful experience.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That's a good list. Tales of Xillia is definitely one you should pick up. I had never played a Tales game before and I really, really enjoyed it. I love how competent and 'genre savvy' the characters are.

Yes, all of you need to play Valkyria Chronicles so you can love it and join me in my rage that it's been relegated to handhelds ever since :rage:

And I know you said no games you own on other platforms, but seriously, consider X|X-2 HD. It's gorgeous.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Demon's Souls.

If you haven't played them the "God of War Collection", lets you play the two PSP titles on your PS3 in addition to Gow 1-3.

Eternal Sonata.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I second Heavy Rain

and Portal 2 provided you dont have it already.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
See, I KNEW there was more than just the one Tales on PS3 :P

God of War 3 is pretty much a must-have classic, and it should be pretty cheap nowadays.
My friend forced me to play this for his enjoyment when the collection originally came out. Guitar Hero of War still makes me mad XD

There's also Tales of Graces F, but I haven't tracked down any of the PS3/360 Tales games yet myself. Also play Tales of Symphonia HD.

Also get MGS4. But play through all of the Metal Gears beforehand if you haven't for maximum effect (MG 1 & 2--included with a copy of MGS3 Subsistence, then MGS 1, 2, & of course 3/Subsistence. MGS Portable Ops for PSP can't hurt either, but 4 basically covers the territory of the main games)

FFX HD

Yakuza 3 and its spinoffs
I've got every MGS game except 4 and 5, and I've seen what 4 is like. I can't take its story seriously :P I don't really know anything about Yakuza, though - what's it like?

Definitely play through Journey at least once. It's only three hours long, but that game is all about the experience of traveling with another anonymous player. The soundtrack is also one of the most gorgeous musical scores you will ever hear. It's quite a beautiful experience.
Three hours wat. I've heard nothing but good things about this, though. But really, three hours?

That's a good list. Tales of Xillia is definitely one you should pick up. I had never played a Tales game before and I really, really enjoyed it. I love how competent and 'genre savvy' the characters are.

Yes, all of you need to play Valkyria Chronicles so you can love it and join me in my rage that it's been relegated to handhelds ever since :rage:

And I know you said no games you own on other platforms, but seriously, consider X|X-2 HD. It's gorgeous.
I've got Vesperia for 360 and it is such an amazing game that I have to have all the other Tales games, without question. And honestly, the like ten seconds of Valkyria Chronicles that I remember seeing reminded me of the battle system from Tales which was part of what drew me to it.

It's super tempting to get FFX HD because I love achievements.

God of War Saga Collection

DO NOT get Ascension. It's horrible. You won't be missing out on anything by not playing that.
I've got the first two on PS2, and I don't really like 2 and 3 that much (see above). I hate hate HATE gratuitous use of RIDICULOUS PLOT DEVICE FROM THE SERIES (YOU KNOW THE ONE) in games, especially when it's not well-executed, and it bugs me that the combat gets better with each game, but you do less and less fighting. That said, what happened with Hera still amuses me to no end. I'm thinking about getting the first one, though. Maybe I'll stream it and people will be shocked at the endless string of truly horrible profanity and limitless rage that is me trying to beat the final boss on the hardest difficulty (maybe their strategy was to make you so mad you became the new god of war).

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Demon's Souls.
YES. AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Seriously I'm dying for Dark Souls II and I'm itching to replay Dark Souls I for the fifth time as it is. Can't believe I forgot this one. I really wanna know what happens if you can beat the tutorial boss!

I second Heavy Rain
I don't really know anything about Heavy Rain other than that you should never drink anything anyone gives you, ever.

Lex

Administrator
Everyone needs to play Valkyria Chronicles. There are a few multiplatform games I'd recommend but I don't know if you already have them so :/

Heavenly Sword is one of the first exclusives for the PS3. It's not terrible. It's a bit weird tbh, the gameplay is incredibly fun at times and the story is crazy. To this day I still don't know if I love it or hate it. I completed it at least. Similar to God of War. Ish.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Also she has a sidekick named Twing Twang :monster:

As for Yakuza, I haven't played much but have kept my eye on the series. There's a mafia story there, but it is also very mini-gamey.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Everyone needs to play Valkyria Chronicles. There are a few multiplatform games I'd recommend but I don't know if you already have them so :/
Pretty much anything multiplatform that I'd be interested in, I already have. Like, after this there's no way I'm buying Mass Effect again :P But like, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, the Arkham games, RDR - that kind of thing, I'm all over. It's somewhat tempting to sell most of my 360 games and pick up their PS3 counterparts if I haven't invested heavily in them (Resonance of Fate and Star Ocean come to mind). In fact, the exclusives are the only reason I haven't just liquidated my 360 stock.

Also she has a sidekick named Twing Twang :monster:
I...what

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
iirc that isn't the sidekick's name (who was 'kai' or something), but what she refers to her weapon (some kind of crossbow) as

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I liked Heavenly Sword (and yes, her sidekick is Kai, and "twing-twang" is what she calls shooting people with her crossbow). It did poorly because it's very short for $60. I got it for $20 and felt I enjoyed it enough, and today it will be even cheaper. The facial animations are fantastic, very strong voice acting, and it's got a fun villain. It's a shame Ninja Theory couldn't have done something with that rather than crapping on Devil May Cry.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
on the subject of dmc, and someone having brought up ps plus, the main reason i played dmc is because it was free :monster: i think you'd get the most out of it if you have a vita as well (though sometimes they still have psp games up), but if you're like me and tend to miss a lot of big titles when they're released it's good to see them appear for free later (tomb raider and bioshock infinite were up recently, and demons' souls and dragon's dogma and shadow of the colossus/ico in the past)

i wish the english ps+ would take after the japanese one, which also has a selection of ps1 games which rotates every few months. i made a list of what i've got from it so far and just on the ps1/game archives online it's nearly up to 300 (i'm not interesting in all of them, you never will be, but there have been a lot of good ones like whole sets of ps1 clock towers games or shin megami tensei series, stuff i would have wanted to buy that they gave for free). one year is 5000 yen and it pays for itself in a couple of months

now if only the english one would follow suit :sadpanda:

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
It is an RPG. And a pretty good one at that. Has your party going between the "real" world and a more fantasy based world.

Also, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. Which has both Tales of Symphonia and its sequel. Good if you don't already have the hard to find Gamecube version of the first, or the rather obscure Wii version of the sequel. I picked it up for the sequel.

Megatron

tits or gtfo
AKA
Moo, Meuterei, Destroyer of Worlds
Ni No Kuni is basically a Studio Ghibli story RPG with Pokemon.

Also, I see Dark Souls has been mentioned, but you should also get 3D Dot Game Heroes and Bayonetta like a motherfucker.

Top Bottom