• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

QF: Liberi Fatali vs. One-Winged Angel

Which of these songs do you like best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The quarter-finals get under way with a real heavyweight match-up between two songs with choral parts sung in Latin.

vs.

Pick your favourite!

This poll will be open for two days, and the winner will make it through to the semi-finals. The complete final 32 bracket can be found here.

For more information on this event, visit the discussion thread.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I'm voting Liberi Fatali because I do prefer it, but I agree, I think OWA has this in the bag.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
^^I got to disagree. I voted for Liberi Fatali, because it's more epic and feels seamless than OWA. To be honest OWA feels a bit cheap compared to Liberi Fatali. Also OWA takes ages to actually start and I like the fact that Liberi Fatali is less pompous.

TLDR, I enjoy Liberi Fatali more. :D

Lex

Administrator
Liberi Fatali. OWA is fantastic but as a composition I don't think it's as good as Liberi Fatali.

I'm really hoping my rampant campaigning against OWA winning this competition is about to pay off~

Ghost X

I really can not bring myself to think I'd rather listen to Liberi Fatali over One Winged Angel. I did try... really hard :P. I also think the version of OWA found in the OG is the best. The orchestral and the Advent Children versions just don't capture it in a way that I like. CC's The World's Enemy came close, but no cigar :P.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Oh god, clash of the titans.

Ultimately voted for Liberi Fatali. OWA is iconic and amazing as well but Liberi Fatali gets me pumped like woah.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
This is so, so hard...

Liberi Fatali is... Liberi Fatali... it's big, it's the best intro theme of of the Final Fantasy series as far as making the player excited to play the game goes. It always makes me want to play FFVIII all over again when I hear it.

One-Winged Angel is... the first of like, five, different versions of the same song for whatever mood I'm in. You want the old-school version? there's the original. Piano version that's a little slower? There's the piano collection. Want an update to the original? There's the orchestral version from Reunion Tracks. Want a different orchestral version? There's the Crisis Core version. Version without the lyrics? Reunion Tracks had that hidden at the start of the disk. Version with modern rock mixed in with the orchestra (and the composer's favorite version)? There's the Advent Children Complete version.

I'm guess what I'm saying is that from an in-game perspective, I like Liberi Fatali better. It fits so well where it does and it never gets old. One-Winged Angel gets a lot more repetitive because it's the final boss theme. It fells like you hear it a lot in-game whereas you don't here Liberi Fatali a lot in-game.

From the point of view of someone who listens to a lot of music though? I love One-Winged Angel. I never get tired of hearing it out of game. Every time I hear the intro it's like I'm hearing auditory desert. And every version of it has different things for me to watch out for so I don't miss them.

I guess it's that I like hearing Liberi Fatali, but I rock out in my head to One-Winged Angel. So yeah, One-Winged Angel it is then...

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I'd never paid any attention to Liberi Fatali until this competition; I'd only heard it a couple times before (I played VIII a long time ago and haven't been able to since, as it as a borrowed copy). But once I listened to it, it quickly became an impressive piece in my mind. I quite enjoy listening to it, for reasons I listed in the last poll when I voted for it.

I've also said that I don't often listen to OWA by itself, rather it shines the most when accompanied by a fight with Sephiroth.

However, that said, I'm voting for OWA because as a whole, I like the piece more than Liberi Fatali, with the way it starts with a minimum of instruments and then blows up into this huge song. Perhaps it's also more nostalgic, I've heard it many times throughout the Compilation and I've liked all versions of it so far (I'm sure there'll be a new version with the Remake :monster:).

With all that said, though, I honestly don't mind if Liberi Fatali wins the poll, because I do enjoy both songs. They're both worthy of winning, I think.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Final Fantasy VIII is one of my least favorite games in the series. It is the only one I have never replayed, and I had to force myself to finish it in the first place.

That said, it's got an amazing soundtrack. And Liberi Fatali is just too good of an opening for the OG One-Winged Angel to upstage.

My vote goes to Liberi Fatali.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This was tough. I had to bust out a pair of headphones and listen to these songs repeatedly to make a decision.

Liberi Fatali gets my vote by the narrowest of margins for being the more accomplished song overall. One-Winged Angel has its better moments but I don't enjoy the choral parts so much, and they make up most of the song. It works better in the context of the game, I think. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to hear Liberi Fatali while fighting one of Ultimecia's forms. It's great at the beginning of the game as well, but then it's never heard again.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Nothing's wrong, it's a tie! And a genuine one, as far as I can tell. :awesome:

Remember that One-Winged Angel needs more votes than Liberi Fatali if it is to progress, since it's the lower seed.

Splintered

unsavory tart
LF without a doubt. Owa is really good but LF is a favorite of mine, there's so many moments to this song and they're all brilliant and they all stream together naturally so the song is an experience in of itself.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I chose Liberi Fatali. As I like to say, this was like choosing cheese over bacon. It's a lose/lose situation. :wacky:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I can't tell you how happy I am to see LF in the lead here.

AvecAloes

Donator
Final Fantasy VIII is one of my least favorite games in the series. It is the only one I have never replayed, and I had to force myself to finish it in the first place.

That said, it's got an amazing soundtrack. And Liberi Fatali is just too good of an opening for the OG One-Winged Angel to upstage.

My vote goes to Liberi Fatali.

All of this, exactly. I played VIII once, during our community playthrough, and just was not impressed by the actual game even a little bit. However, several of my favorite songs grace its soundtrack. Maybe Uematsu knew how crappy the game would be and decided to give it at least some sort of redeeming quality :monster:

Lex

Administrator
VIII and IX are the peak of Uematsu's work IMO. Or I was adamant about that until recently because he went all "let's rockify every track" after FFX, but some of the tracks he wrote for the XIV soundtrack are just as epic as some of his older stuff.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
VIII and IX are the peak of Uematsu's work IMO. Or I was adamant about that until recently because he went all "let's rockify every track" after FFX, but some of the tracks he wrote for the XIV soundtrack are just as epic as some of his older stuff.

Oh, definitely. Torn From the Heavens is probably my favorite Uematsu song ever.

aszach01

Pro Adventurer
After hearing Liberi Fatali the intro reminds me of one certain music in Drakkhen when your about to cross the arrow path and suddenly a dragon jumps in front of you coming from the sky and then you hear a sound that says "Iboss Ikuse" over and over again which reminds me of a bad memeries in gamingwise.lol

Top Bottom