QF: Zanarkand vs. Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII

Which of these songs do you like best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Our second quarter-final matchup is between Zanarkand, the only song from outside the top eight seeds to make it this far, and the Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, which finished in the top four in both of the first two rounds of this event and is only one step away from making the top four again.

vs.

Pick your favourite!

This poll will be open for two days, and the winner will make it through to the semi-finals. The complete final 32 bracket can be found here.

For more information on this event, visit the discussion thread.

Last edited:

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Still Zanarkand. I will always vote for Zanarkand. Because it is the best piece there is. Don't think so? Listen to this:

Also Flint, you have the old bad quality version of Zanarkand again. :(

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Still Zanarkand, though I massively doubt it will win on this FFVII-themed forum. :monster:

Lex

Administrator
Still Zanarkand. I will always vote for Zanarkand. Because it is the best piece there is. Don't think so? Listen to this:

No, he has the version that people are voting for. You almost got me to change my vote with this post because that is so good but it's a dirty trick people!!! DON'T PLAY THE VIDEO!!! Naughty Kuroto :desu:

That orchestral composition takes pieces from "Ending Theme". If that is what you think of when you think of the song then I completely understand why you would vote for it. The song "Zanarkand" to me is just the piano piece that plays at the start of the game and on the intro screen. It's still beautiful, but it doesn't beat Main Theme of FFVII in that format.

Reminders of why:

- It's Cloud's theme
- It doesn't steal parts from its emotional ending theme to make it more emotional ;-;

And since we're apparently using emotional manipulation :desu:, go to 8:00 in this video:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer

No, he has the version that people are voting for. You almost got me to change my vote with this post because that is so good but it's a dirty trick people!!! DON'T PLAY THE VIDEO!!! Naughty Kuroto :desu:
She just meant that the sound quality of the video I had put in the opening post wasn't very good, not that it was the wrong "version" per se. I fixed it in an earlier poll but must have accidentally copied it over to here.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Voting for Zanarkand again, dammit I want a X song to make it! It's the only one left! :awesome:

Still Zanarkand, though I massively doubt it will win on this FFVII-themed forum. :monster:

:O My Zanarkand buddies!! <3 :loveglomp:

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer

That orchestral composition takes pieces from "Ending Theme". If that is what you think of when you think of the song then I completely understand why you would vote for it. The song "Zanarkand" to me is just the piano piece that plays at the start of the game and on the intro screen. It's still beautiful, but it doesn't beat Main Theme of FFVII in that format.

Reminders of why:

- It's Cloud's theme
- It doesn't steal parts from its emotional ending theme to make it more emotional ;-;

And since we're apparently using emotional manipulation :desu:, go to 8:00 in this video:

Lex, I never meant that Flint should change his video to that which I posted. I have previously asked him to change the video he put up to another, because the quality is just bad. He did change it in one of the previous rounds but now he has changed it back and that is what I meant. :)

Also yes, I understand that the video I posted is not quite the same, but most of the Distant World versions aren't to be honest. But the version of Zanarkand still uses the same emotions. In my opinion the Distant World's version of the main theme is just a prettier version of the original. And less boring. :P And that's the thing, I've heared Zanarkand before hearing the Main Theme of FFVII and I haven't grown tired of it, like I have with the Main Theme. And what you said about it being emotional, even as a piano piece Zanarkand is more emotional than the Main Theme. Even if the Main Theme might be emotional on some level, Zanarkand works as a simple piano piece, yet the Main Theme of FFVII needs a lot more to work that well. The melody of Zanarkand is so timeless that it works in so many ways and forms, whether it is on piano or orchestrated, whether it is played on its own or whether it is the part of another piece, like the Ending theme.

I'm sorry if you felt manipulated. But maybe, deep down inside, you know that Zanarkand is the song you really want to vote for. You just aren't ready to admit it yet. ;)

Here as an apology, the piano collection version:

Last edited:

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Sorry for the double post but...
:O My Zanarkand buddies!! <3 :loveglomp:

Fellow Zanarkandians! :properhug:

We will fight till the bitter end!

Ffx-auron-o.gif

EDIT: Thanks Flint, for changing the video to a better one. ^_^

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I love Zanarkand, I actually wouldn't mind if it won. But I do prefer Main Theme so that's what gets my vote :monster:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy

This is my fear too. But it really deserves it

I don't care who you are, but you can't tell me that there isn't a remixed or solo instrument version of To Zanarkand that isn't beautiful. It's the eternal song that instantly draws you to the strife of Tidus and Yuna, whether it's their love story, his desire to go home, or her want to save her people.

VII Main Theme is an excellent song but I'm just not sure the two compare.

If you can listen to that and you don't feel a thing, you are a monster.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
To Zanarkand.

Sorry but that song has an irreplaceable place in my heart that no other song can fill. <3

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Zanarkand sounds nice, and serious, with a lot of melancholy over everything, but that's about it. It doesn't keep me guessing or give me something more to listen for. It's just a nice and moving melody.

Main Theme of FFVII on the other hand? It's got this dark opening that gives way to the main theme which the rest of the piece builds on. It doesn't stay with one theme for long either, but uses a whole bunch of them. And then it goes back to a minor theme and goes back to the main one. It provides contrast within itself so that the main theme doesn't get boring.

And I'm noticing a theme for why I constantly pick FFVII pieces. Musically speaking, they all sound like they're developing into something if I wait long enough. And what theme's they develop into!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I thought this would be another tough choice for me, but one minute into the Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII and I already know it's the end of the road for Zanarkand. For what it is, I think it's superb, but the Main Theme has layer upon layer of complexity, moments of quiet and moments of soaring triumph, that just can't be beaten by a simple, reflective, admittedly beautiful piano piece. I completely agree with Kuroto about the majesty of the orchestral version of Zanarkand, but we are nevertheless voting for the pieces as they appear in-game (either the original or the remaster), and that means, sadly, that I have to ditch it. It's had a good run. :)

Top Bottom