• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Question About Lilisa Meg (#24) And Sephiroth Clones in Remake/Rebirth.

ProfessorGast

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
JustinC721
Lilisa Meg | Final Fantasy Wiki | Fandom

Recently, the devs have hinted toward the Sephiroth Clones having a different purpose. This was in response to a question regarding Marco (#49) which is the main topic of my research. Personally speaking, I never took the description of Lilisa Meg as 100% confirmation that she was/is a Sephiroth clone. This is simply because not all numbered specimens are Sephiroth Clones, and not all Sephiroth Clones are assigned numbers. However, her description as a black robed figure seems to fit the bill.

The thing that doesn't quite fit however is how Lilisa's story takes place while Aerith is a child captive in Shinra HQ. This would predate the Nibelheim incident by several years or more. The thing is that it is well established in OG that the Sephiroth Clones are products of the Nibelheim incident. It is also apparant that she wasn't the only Black Robed figure reported to have existed during this time.

"Joann revealed that she followed Lilisa on trips to the slums. Lilisa would group up with others who, like her, wore black robes and had number tattoos. Many of these people had disappeared before reappearing years later; among them, Glen and Geddie."
"

The reason this suddenly sparks my interest is because I am trying to determine the origin and purpose of the Sephiroth Clones in Remake and the realization that they may predate the Nibelheim incident is..... Interesting. Judging by Lilisa's story, it would seem like the Sephiroth Clones originate with Aerith's drawings and Shinra's misinterpretation of them. Something I also should point out is that the term "Sephiroth Clone" is technically a misnomer as they aren't clones. Rather, they are individuals who have had Sephiroth's power copied on to them in hopes of producing an equivalent.

What I find the most interesting is that looking up #24 in Sepher Sephiroth references a ceremony known as the 'Gnostic Mass' and the story states that Lilisa was followed into the slums and was witnessed partaking in some ritual with other robed figures. Having just looked into this, I don't have a full understanding of what the 'Gnostic Mass' is in the Hermetic Qabalah, so I may be mis interpreting this. Thus, I would need more time to figure that one out.

Unfortunately, there isn't much else to work with at the moment, so I wanted to hear some other thoughts on this subject and how it relates to Rebirth.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yes, Hojo was creating Sephiroth Copies even before the Nibelheim Incident. That's the takeaway you're supposed to gain from the story. Hojo's Reunion research with Jenova and Sephiroth was something he had been doing for years.

ProfessorGast

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
JustinC721
Yes, Hojo was creating Sephiroth Copies even before the Nibelheim Incident. That's the takeaway you're supposed to gain from the story. Hojo's Reunion research with Jenova and Sephiroth was something he had been doing for years.
That’s what I was figuring. But I guess we don’t have many details as to why (yet). It’s probably a safe bet that Hojo would have selected SOLDIER/SOLDIER candidates. Which makes me wonder if that’s why there are fewer infantrymen in Remakes version of Zacks last stand.
As for where all of these extra Sephiroth copies came from, I’d say that the underground lab under sector 7 is pretty sus.

Top Bottom