Question about the relationship between FFVII and FFX

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I was reading more about the connection between FFVII and FFX and while it mostly seems to work out, there is one thing that bothers me; the origin of the Cetra.

FFVII has made a good case that genetics play a large part in being a Cetra and having a connection to the Planet. It has also made a good case that before the time of Jenova, there were more Cetra then humans and that Jenova is the reason why there are so few Cetra.

The question I have is are Cetra decedents from the immigrants from Spira just like the humans are, or are they the original inhabitants of Gaia and the humans came from Spira.

Personally, I think that it's the latter because it has fewer plot holes and it explains some things in FFVII better. I just find it odd that ideas like mako energy and Shin-Ra would still be around for more then 2,000 years when the Cetra know that the Planet is a living being.

Anyway, just wanted to throw the idea out there and see what other people think.

Last edited:

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
I agree with you Obsidian, the latter makes alot more sense. Would also explain why Reno's hair is so bright red, as well as Cid's (no joke, being serious) because Spirans have such brightly colored characteristics. Hell, I actually have a personal opinion that Cid is possibly half-Al Bhed (or at least in him somewhere) because his hair is that same bright yellow color most of the Al-Bheds have and he's real big on machinery and such. Also makes sense that Cetrans would be native Gaians, because the people of Spira would not be in-tune with Gaia as the Cetrans were, because they weren't native.

~ Raz

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
In general, ALL the characters are probably of at least partial Spiran descent. That includes Aerith, who is half Spiran and half Gaian. There are, apparently, no purebred Gaians in the humanoid gene pool any longer.

There are still purebred sapient Gaian lifeforms, like Red.

While I don't know very much about this connection, the idea of it is appealing. However, I have to say that I think the truth of the matter is that "humans" are exactly the same as Cetra and are descended from the Cetra - their distant ancestors were Cetra who wanted to settle down and enjoy an easier life. During the Jenova crisis, these settled Cetra hid, while the traditional Cetra fought against the alien. Many of them, if not most, died in the process, and once the crisis was over the 'humans' emerged from their hiding places as the dominant culture. While the 'humans come from Spira" theory has a lot going for it, I think this other explanation is actually the canon one (but I am too lazy to go and check). Or maybe Spirans and humans interbred?

It's funny how we like to discuss this world as if it were as well-thought-out as Tolkien's, when in fact it's all patched together with clumsy retcons.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
While I don't know very much about this connection, the idea of it is appealing. However, I have to say that I think the truth of the matter is that "humans" are exactly the same as Cetra and are descended from the Cetra - their distant ancestors were Cetra who wanted to settle down and enjoy an easier life. During the Jenova crisis, these settled Cetra hid, while the traditional Cetra fought against the alien. Many of them, if not most, died in the process, and once the crisis was over the 'humans' emerged from their hiding places as the dominant culture. While the 'humans come from Spira" theory has a lot going for it, I think this other explanation is actually the canon one (but I am too lazy to go and check). Or maybe Spirans and humans interbred?

It's funny how we like to discuss this world as if it were as well-thought-out as Tolkien's, when in fact it's all patched together with clumsy retcons.

There is, by necessity, given Half Cetra, interbreeding. Also, a point should be made that the Cetra genetic line is not necessarily gone with Aerith. There is a very good chance of everyone have some Cetra Genes in addition to their Spiran ones.

I have a very unserious list of 'likely lines of descent' I snarked up awhile back.
Save to say, there is a line of descent from Shinra to Rufus Shinra, from Cid to Cid (through Rikku), Tidus and Yuna lead to Cloud, Wakka and Lulu to Tifa, and Paine to Vincent. Other characters can lead through other side characters.

minimosey

Pro Adventurer
While I don't know very much about this connection, the idea of it is appealing. However, I have to say that I think the truth of the matter is that "humans" are exactly the same as Cetra and are descended from the Cetra - their distant ancestors were Cetra who wanted to settle down and enjoy an easier life. During the Jenova crisis, these settled Cetra hid, while the traditional Cetra fought against the alien. Many of them, if not most, died in the process, and once the crisis was over the 'humans' emerged from their hiding places as the dominant culture. While the 'humans come from Spira" theory has a lot going for it, I think this other explanation is actually the canon one (but I am too lazy to go and check).

That explanation is canon...canonically, Sephiroth's explanation when he goes batshit in Nibelheim. Keep in mind that he learned his info from the notes of the guys who misidentified Jenova as a Cetra in the first place: basically, while there's research behind it, it would be easy for Word of God to say "no, they were mistaken"/"Sephiroth misinterpreted shit in his instability".

That said, I always did like this explanation best, especially taken in conjunction with some of the Cetra abilities and Jenova's arrival. Consider that Cetra like Aerith can "hear" people dying. Now imagine you're a Cetra living during Jenova's reign of terror, however long that was, constantly "hearing" people dying because of her, or being confronted with the monstrous forms of your once loved once and being able to sense the kind of warping they've gone through.

Yeah, no wonder people gave up their connection to the Planet and. Two millenia later, Sephiroth is convinced that his "mother" was stolen of her birthright by the same people she traumatized until they gave up their own. I find this view of things fun.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
In general, ALL the characters are probably of at least partial Spiran descent. That includes Aerith, who is half Spiran and half Gaian. There are, apparently, no purebred Gaians in the humanoid gene pool any longer.

There are still purebred sapient Gaian lifeforms, like Red.
I get that anyone who is human is of Sprian descent. I'm not wondering about that. What I'm wondering is if there were any native humanoid Gaians before the Spirans came.

Also, just FYI, it's Word Of God that humans, specifically the ancestors of Shinra, are from Spira. If anything, the Cetra would be descended from them, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
"Word of God" is the creators of whatever book/game/movie etc. you're talking about. In this case, Square Enix, specifically Nojima. It's generally used to refer to information that wasn't in the book/game/movie, but since the creators say the information is fact, is canon. Other examples from FFVII include the origins of the Buster Sword, the fact that it is Sephiroth that is in control of Jenova, not the other way around.

Xpelair

Pro Adventurer
I don't know what to say really...

Games such as FFX and FFVII Do make sense together, which opens up a whole lot more. However that could also be said to other games.
In my mind I see all the Final Fantasy's in their own Dimensions. I don't see them relating to each other at all, regardless of whether they make sense or not.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I get that anyone who is human is of Sprian descent. I'm not wondering about that. What I'm wondering is if there were any native humanoid Gaians before the Spirans came.

Yes. Cetrans are native Gaians, or at least lived on Gaia before the Spiran migration.

Also, just FYI, it's Word Of God that humans, specifically the ancestors of Shinra, are from Spira. If anything, the Cetra would be descended from them, not the other way around.

Except that both in and out of Universe, the Cetra are confirmed as being native to the planet, with a later immigrant population joining in.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Does anyone else think that Azul was a Guado decendant? He looks SO much different than anyone else in FFVII....

X :neo:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Except that both in and out of Universe, the Cetra are confirmed as being native to the planet, with a later immigrant population joining in.
I was using that against the idea that humans were descended from Cetra.

Does anyone else think that Azul was a Guado decendant? He looks SO much different than anyone else in FFVII...
A Guado throwback maybe? It would explain a lot.

Top Bottom