R32: Birth of a God vs. The Darkness of Eternity

Which of these songs do you like best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer

vs.

Pick your favourite!

This poll will be open for two days, and the winner will make it through to the round of 16. The complete final 32 bracket can be found here.

For more information on this event, visit the discussion thread.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
With much love to Lex, I have to go with Darkness of Eternity. "The Birth of A God" didn't really feel connected to Sephiroth and of the three final boss themes of FF7 I always found it the weakest (though still quite good). The Darkness of Eternity is dripping with Kuja, apart from using his leitmotif the rage and anger that he is feeling is made obvious within the melody itself.

Lex

Administrator
I love them both but my problem with that song is that it's too slow until much much later when it picks up - I agree with what you're saying about Kuja. Birth of a God wouldn't beat like... Maybe I'm a Lion or The Extreme for me, but I think it beats this (other people won't and that's OK XD).

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It's worth noting that this is the "turning point" matchup of this round, seeds 16 against 17 - every other matchup has a bigger gap between the songs than this one. I expect the result to be close. I like both of these songs a lot myself and I won't make my decision until I cast my vote tomorrow.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Darkness has a good feel to it but I don't have many ties to IX that I don't feel it as mh as I do Birth of a God. Plus.... It's Sephiroth :monster:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Oh this one was pretty tough, I love jamming to both of these songs when I'm fighting Sephiroth and Kuja. D: However, after listening to both, I'm voting for Darkness of Eternity; firstly, I like the arrangement of it better than Birth of a God, and also, as Jason has said, Darkness of Eternity is dripping with Kuja and suits him so well, so with those points going for it, I'm voting for it.

Ghost X

I don't find either piece particularly strong, but I think The Darkness of Eternity is a level above the other song.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
With much love to Lex, I have to go with Darkness of Eternity. "The Birth of A God" didn't really feel connected to Sephiroth and of the three final boss themes of FF7 I always found it the weakest (though still quite good). The Darkness of Eternity is dripping with Kuja, apart from using his leitmotif the rage and anger that he is feeling is made obvious within the melody itself.

But Birth of a God directly plays Sephiroth's leitmotif. Moreso than OWA :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney

But Birth of a God directly plays Sephiroth's leitmotif. Moreso than OWA :monster:

It plays a perversion of his leitmotif yes, but tonally it doesn't match up with what I feel Sephiroth should be feeling there. OWA is power, angelic fury, you are literally staring down the closest thing this world has to the devil. Birth of a God is "this is what sephy's theme sounds like on jazz piano."

Edit: Yes I am acutely aware of the irony that Darkness uses the exact same voice.

Secondary Edit since I feel my incorrigibility warrants further explanation:

Take a look at JENOVA Absolute- What we have here is a "ticking clock" theme. The end of the world is beginning, we are facing off against JENOVA as she truly exists and are about to come face to face with the end, with the fate of the world at our backs.

Take a look at OWA- The ultimate encounter with the primary antagonist, a JENOVA fueled Sephiroth bolstered by the gathered lifestream ascending into a form of a God. This is the ultimate battle that everything has led up to.

Now looking at Birth of a God, while it is okay and I rather like the tune, it doesn't transition from one to the other. It does have a theme of "metamorphosis" which is okay for what is happening (Sephiroth is literally becoming his godlike form), but it still feels out of place, even with the leitmotif in place. I'll admit this is mostly a personal thing, and I still really do like the song, but I just felt it could have been a lot stronger.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
As I said, I like both of these songs, but after listening to the them again, it's clear that The Darkness of Eternity is superior. It's much more interesting, and as a result, memorable. The percussion is some of the best in any Final Fantasy "rock" song.

I still prefer Birth of a God to Jenova Absolute, though. Sorry, Doc. :P

AvecAloes

Donator
Doc said:
I feel Sephiroth should be feeling there. OWA is power, angelic fury, you are literally staring down the closest thing this world has to the devil. Birth of a God is "this is what sephy's theme sounds like on jazz piano."

Respectfully disagree. 100%

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I still prefer Birth of a God to Jenova Absolute, though. Sorry, Doc. :P

AvecAloes said:
Respectfully disagree.

Music is a magical thing. Nobody is "right" when it comes to taste. Unless you like Justin Bieber. :monster:

But no, seriously I realize my taste is a touch off from the norm because the norm is not as uniform s one might thing. I'm not trying to convince anybody to think the way I think but just explaining why I think the way I think.

That is a scary prospect as my mind is a freakin' rat maze lol.

Lex

Administrator
I don't hear jazz when I listen to Birth of a God, I just hear awesome :desu:

No seriously though, it makes me make bodyshaking jerky head movements and I love it for that.

Play the song and stare at this gif:

tumblr_mk1qgzzVEX1s8a849o1_500.gif

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Not jazz, jazz piano. That keyboard voice that plays out the main melody. They might be going for pipe organ but I hear jazz piano.

RedFFWolf

Donator
Love that the choices are the second-last boss themes in both games - the penultimates (though VII's Safer Spehiroth is a little lot more expected than IX's Necron). From that perspective, I imagined how it would feel if both of these songs were actually the last boss battle themes.
The Dark Messenger pips it for me, but I preferred it anyway :P so this was all just to point out I like the fact they're both a clever match for competing

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Darkness of Eternity. Stylistically it just goes over better then Birth of a God. Birth of a God was rather weak for a boss theme for me, especially as J-E-N-O-V-A and Jenova Absolute were stronger and they come before it in the story.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Surprise vote for Birth of a God. I really like both of these pieces but somehow I fell in love with the piano rhythm in the backgroung of Birth of a God. It feels more groovy. ^_^

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Dark Messenger of course. I'm not a bit bias :monster:

Kuja/I was at his/my apex in terms of power and as a character during the finale and Dark Messenger seems to go along with that.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The Darkness of Eternity pulled off a comprehensive 2:1 victory here and has made it into the last 16.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Which crazy considering Lex made the best post of his TLS career

I don't hear jazz when I listen to Birth of a God, I just hear awesome :desu:

No seriously though, it makes me make bodyshaking jerky head movements and I love it for that.

Play the song and stare at this gif:

tumblr_mk1qgzzVEX1s8a849o1_500.gif

rofl.

Top Bottom