R32: Blinded by Light vs. Roses of May

Which of these songs do you like best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer

vs.

Pick your favourite!

This poll will be open for two days, and the winner will make it through to the round of 16. The complete final 32 bracket can be found here.

For more information on this event, visit the discussion thread.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Roses of May is lovely, like, frankly, all of IX's pieces. But Blinded By Light is one of the diamonds in the rough of the FF13 soundtrack. In a soundtrack that was riddled with odd musical choices, temporary themes you never hear again, and something that really lacked the careful use of themes and motifs of Uematsu's work, Blinded By Light was one of the few tracks that really felt like this was a Final Fantasy game. This was what we expected from a next generation Final Fantasy battle theme and it delivered. (as a side note, Daddy's Got The Blues, Ashes to Ashes, Archyltte Steppe and Nautilus are among my other favorite tracks).

Edit: As a testament to how powerful it is, this theme is one of the reasons I bothered to keep playing the game.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Roses of May. Always Roses of May. But I may be biased because I hate 13 :monster:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I love Roses of May and have a huge nostalgia for IX (I've voted for many IX songs throughout these polls), but against Blinded by light, I have to pick Blinded by light. I absolutely love this battle song.
I am hoping to see it go through too, so a song from XIII makes it, but that didn't influence my decision, I just really love this song. :)

Ghost X

Roses of May.

As good as Blinded by Light is, it actually represents everything I dislike about newer FF music :P. I feel it could be lost in a sea of JRPG music, where as earlier songs like Roses of May are quite distinctive.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
There are parts of Blinded by Light that I don't love. The strings starting around the 58-second mark in the video above sound a bit hurried, almost contrived. The electric guitar chords in the background at the 35-second mark are very atonal, and they seem to have become far too common in Final Fantasy music recently. And I really don't think it should have been the game's regular battle theme - even after only a couple of hours of play, I felt I had heard it too much. I prefer my random (or random-ish, as they are in XIII) encounters to have a more relaxed score, since they're going to happen so often. Final Fantasy V and IX did it well. But with all that said... I still love it. The first 35 seconds are particularly great. Maybe I should just work on finishing my battles in XIII a bit faster. :P

Roses of May is, by comparison, a refreshingly understated piece. I even learnt to play it on the piano once upon a time, and I've never had lessons. I don't feel the urge to listen to it very often, though, since it doesn't excite me in the same way Blinded by Light does.

Blinded by Light gets my vote.

Fangu

Great Old One
This was a toughie, but I can't not vote for Blinded by Light. Too many feels and too great of a battle theme. And strings > piano. Always.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
This was a toughie, but I can't not vote for Blinded by Light. Too many feels and too great of a battle theme. And strings > piano. Always.

I'm ambivalent about that. This might sound like the most obvious statement ever but some songs sound great with piano, some sound great with strings.

That said when I too generally prefer strings, but there are some outstanding piano pieces (To Zanarkand, for instance).

Lex

Administrator
war leaves its trail
in moonlight so pale
in shadows they flow
in rivers in rivers
so put on my mask
I'll go where they ask
so I might once again see the
Roses of May

I'm usually not into american style LARP-ish cheese (times ten to the power of eight) but I love this so much.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
I'm going to change the situation in favour of Blinded by Light. Even though I like Roses of May it just isn't quite as memorable as Blinded by Light and doesn't get me as excited. Blinded by Light is a very different battle theme when compared to the battle themes in games before it. To be honest I've never been a huge fan of the battle themes, but Blinded by Light is an exception and that's why I voted for it. ^_^

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Roses of May.

Mostly because XIII's soundtrack didn't do anything for me. Including it's battle theme. IX's soundtrack had a lot of nice stuff on it.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
war leaves its trail
in moonlight so pale
in shadows they flow
in rivers in rivers
so put on my mask
I'll go where they ask
so I might once again see the
Roses of May

I'm usually not into american style LARP-ish cheese (times ten to the power of eight) but I love this so much.

I love that as soon as this was posted, Roses of May got 5 more votes. :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm quite gobsmacked at how well Roses of May is doing. I thought it would be close but I still expected Blinded by Light to win. :closedmonster:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Another tough one.

Beatrix is my second-third fav FF female character and Blinded by Light gets me pumped for battle.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Tough one. Rose of May is an excellent song about one of my favorite characters. But Blinded By Light is the best battle theme in the series. Some of Rose of May's greatness is on account of its reprise in Protecting My Devotion (for me), so I think I'll give Blinded By Light the edge.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by this given that I don't understand what this has to with that song. I was expecting the video to have put the song to cosplay faux-action or something.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Poor, poor Blinded by Light. No more Final Fantasy XIII songs in this event (and XII may be about to follow). Roses of May is into the last 16.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Awwwwww I wanted Blinded By Light to win so bad! >,< But well, I still love Roses of May, so if it had to lose to that, then it's not so bad.

Top Bottom