Random Question About the Ending

Smoothie King

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pat
I've been wondering about this for years. The final battle between Sephiroth and Cloud, after Safer Sephiroth disappears, is clearly not CGI. At the same time, it looks to be generated in-game with polygons, but there has never once been a PS1 game that I've played that even comes close to that type of graphical fidelity. No character model from FF8 or 9 even comes close.

So, what's the trick? Do they just use every possible polygon they can on the character model and use them all up? If that's the case, what about a game like Resident Evil where there's usually just one character walking around against a pre rendered background, which uses zero polygons. Why do those models look so lousy by comparison? How the F did they pull this trick off? Has there ever been any articles or interviews about this?

Has anyone here played any PS1 game that pulls off anything similar to this? It's remarkable. And they were still able to get all of the omnislash effects on display as well.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, you described it.

The models for that battle scene are specifically for that final confrontation. They're in-game models utilized just for that one scene.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Ite's joking :lol: The character models used in the final battle are striking, but their polygon count is no more significant than some other enemies in the game. The data for them can actually be found on every disc. It's even possible to mod the game to use Cloud's high fidelity model all the time with no impact on performance.

It's just good design that makes them so striking. All the right polygons in all the right places.

Last edited:

Smoothie King

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pat
Ite's joking :lol: The character models used in the final battle are striking, but their polygon count is no more significant than some other enemies in the game. The data for them can actually be found on every disc. It's even possible to mod the game to use Cloud's high fidelity model all the time with no impact on performance.

It's just good design that makes them so striking. All the right polygons in all the right places.

Haha, yes I knew Ite was joking!

Top Bottom