Ready Player One

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I don't know what I just saw but it has a DeLorean and the Iron Giant, sign me up.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I don't know what the story is or what's going on, but hell yeah! I'm definitely interested.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
I don't know what the story is or what's going on, but hell yeah! I'm definitely interested.

Basically, it's a dystopian world where people escape from reality inside a computer simulation. The guy who created it was obsessed with 80s culture and video games, and when he died there was a huge announcement that if you could find all the Easter eggs he hid in the Sim, you got his fortune. So naturally everyone goes nuts trying to find them. Nothing happens for years, and most people assume it was a hoax. And then someone finds the first one.
and that's pretty much where the story starts.

Seriously, if you haven't read the book, read it.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Well fuck I guess I have to read the book now. That looks awesome. I'm a little sick of dystopian futures in literature... but dystopian future with video game and 80s pop culture references? Sign me up.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
^That's what held my interest, the virtual reality/video game stuff. I too am sick of all the dystopian stuff though, god it's everywhere and in every new book series, I swear. :monster:

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
It's pretty easy to ignore the whole dystopian backdrop in this book, because about 90% of it takes place in the Oasis.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
HMMMMMM no it looked more like a regular ostrich thingie??

Also I dunno about it. I'm really on the fence. The first half of the trailer looked interesting, and then it started getting into like the government hunting down this dude because he's a good gamer and progressing further than others into finding the easter egg thingie and then a resistance, etc.....
I mean I love the whole virtual reality idea soooo much but once the same old same old plot creeped in (at least it seems pretty familiar to other Dystopians with young protagonists), IDKKKKKK :wacky:

I think I'd love to see a live action virtual reality movie that's more akin to some of those animes, where it's also not so far into the future and the world is pretty normal and not crapsack :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I really only know this movie / trailers from how often it's been part of some of the DANK MEME COMPILATION vidjeos on youtubes, which I should really stop watching because they're so shit lately.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Also I dunno about it. I'm really on the fence. The first half of the trailer looked interesting, and then it started getting into like the government hunting down this dude because he's a good gamer and progressing further than others into finding the easter egg thingie and then a resistance, etc.....

It's not the government. Without spoiling anything, those guys are from a company called IOI who are trying to win the prize, too, so they can monetize the OASIS.

I REALLY hope they stay true to the book. I'm especially looking forward to the first gate, because reasons. :)

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Same! It was a properly enjoyable time. The only thing I was a little bugged by was the Spielberg thing at the ending where
The bad guy gets contronted by everyone at the stacks... who just let him pass when he pulls out a gun. And then he makes it to the heroes he's trying to stop... but doesn't shoot them because Samantha yells at him not to. What the hell's up with that, man.

Also, I haven't read the book at all, so I got to blissfully avoid all the toxicity surrounding this film.

X :neo:

I haven't watched this movie and won't be able to see it in theaters. My big question to those who have seen it...
Did you see Cloud Strife anywhere?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I haven't watched this movie and won't be able to see it in theaters. My big question to those who have seen it...
Did you see Cloud Strife anywhere?

I didn't, so if they're there, they're not prominently displayed like The Iron Giant and some other things. That being said, there're an absolute BOATLOAD of things in and around a ton of scenes the film, Here's a list of a shitton of them in full-spoiler: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...e-easter-eggs-references-movie-guide-complete

X :neo:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Just got back from seeing it and...Wow. Not what I was expecting. In hindsight I should have expected this to be what it was: A Speilburg film. And I say this in a good way. The whole concept of all these pop culture references as a world is just that: It's all in the background of what is a somewhat cliche'd, and yet at the same pretty refreshing and poignant story. I don't think I processed more than a handful of cameos (No Cloud that I could pick out, though I swear I caught a glimps of a VII styled chocobo and a moogle on it's back).

The movie basically pulls A Cabin In the Woods, where everything is too fast and too much for you to really process it. I'm sure someone will have a field day when it goes out on DVD and can pin point every single cameo. But the film really does have a lot more going for it than just being a pop culture milkshake. The characters are great, especially giving the main female character a hell of a lot of agency right up to the end. Props for a subtle but unignorable LGBT rep, and just a lot of fun twists and turns.

Top Bottom