Recruiting Site Staff

Lex

Administrator
Incase you guys didn't notice, there hasn't been a roundup for almost 2 weeks. This is because real life is currently taking its toll on Flint and I. We need your help!

Ideally at the moment we're looking for one or two people to take over the role of dealing with the weekly roundups - we could either designate this to the new writer(s), or work on a rota.

Of course, you wouldn't be limited to the roundups. If there's a VII related piece you particularly want to write and post, you would be free to do so (initially after a quick check by any current site staff - Shademp, Flint, Tres, Ryu, me etc.)

SO, any volunteers?

Lex

Administrator
I am going to bump this once before bed and add:

PLEASE DO NOT BODYSWERVE THIS THREAD THE SITE NEEDS YOU AAAAAAAAAAAAA DOOOOOOOOM

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
What does doing the weekly roundups fully entail? Slightlyconfused.com/sorry :monster:

I wouldn't mind, since I have come across free time quite often, and I'm easy to reach.

Fangu

Great Old One
Yeah, post a short recipe of "what we need you to do". You and Flint have created an awesome template for the roundups, but a lot of that discussion has taken place in threads most people haven't read.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I made a template for Avec once. I didn't notice before, but she actually edited it into a roundup, rather than copying it into a new article. Luckily, Wordpress kept the old revision, so I dug it up and put it into a new article. It's set to private, but I think that anyone with WP author permissions should be able to see it. If that's not how it works, then maybe someone can tell me the best way to publish something privately without it appearing on the front page or anything :)

I wouldn't give exactly the same advice to someone starting out now, though. The birthdays and welcomes are probably too time-consuming to bother with, for example. But otherwise, it's a good place to start.

Lex

Administrator
The credit for the roundup template entirely goes to Flint by the way, I did nothing to them. (I love how he was gracious enough not to point that out though :P)

This is going to sound bad, but it's literally a copy/paste job. The way I do it is - type "final fantasy" into google news, find the between 3-5 best stories (only go above 3 stories if there's a shitload of really good official news or cool stuff).

Once you have the stories, the job is simple (but can get a bit fiddly). Copy/paste the title and link into the appropriate places. Type in the name of the site in the link descriptor. Fine appropriate images/ videos. Copy/paste the code for them in the appropriate place. Copy paste the section of the article with the most descriptive/ relevant information, taking care not to put in too much text (I tend to put in a lot more text than Flint does, but it's not a massive amount), shorten it if need be.

Make sure to link to the appropriate forum thread under each section. Link to appropriate threads for that week under discussions and community stuffs.

Then just do the excerpt, tags, category and featured image. Voila, shiny Roundup times.

There's a tiny bit more to it than that (title, intro description is just a list of the titles in the article etc) but it's honestly all stuff that you figure out by putting the code/ text in, clicking "preview" then seeing what it looks like. The only thing this doesn't work with is the featured image and excerpt, which you unfortunately cannot see in context until it's public.

MAKE SURE THE IMAGE IS IN A 2:! ASPECT RATIO (i.e. 400x200 pixels or something) and everything will be shiny.

Top Bottom