Remake featured in Famitsu

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
— Having to design them all again must be a lot of work. Are you not using the models from FFVII Advent Children (AC) or anything?

Nomura: AC was made with technology from 10 years ago, and visually with how it was stylised and such it wouldn’t fit in with the images for this game, so we’re not using them. We’re at the level now where we can get the realism seen in the NPCs walking around town in the trailer without trouble, so that’s why.

I had a feeling about this when I saw the people at the train station and the girl in the park. They looked more real than how the characters looked in Advent Children. That said, I hope Nomura doesn't steer too much away from those models. They had very distinct facial features, mostly in the eyes where they were nicely translated from it's 2D counterpart.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Next time I'll pull it through the Zalgoizer, :monster:.

Ḩ̨̛̖͓̫̙̜̪ͣ̍ͦ̏̅͐ͩͬ̉̾̃ͦ̿̔̔̒̐̚̚͜Ẻ̛̟̗̹̠̣̝̖͈̯͚̩̙͙̱ͩ͛̑́̄̉ͩ̑̂̀ͫͣ͒͌̓ͦ̅͘͟ ̧͍̱̠͙̗͖̼̺̜̳̣͚͗̀̽̆̑͋͑̏ͪͦ͒͊̈́͋ͫ͟C̸͉͓̲̤̭͉̳̘̫͕͉̪͋̓ͬ̏ͯͩ͗̌̿ͦ̽̎ͦ͛ͣ̍̑͆ͤ͜͡Ǫ̷̧̩̯͇̪̤̰͙̻̜̳̬̹̯̻̙͕͇̤̉̅̊͛͌ͫ̈́͛̎ͥ͋̍̍̽̽͒͋̀̚͝ͅM̛̤̞̳̭̹͕̬̪̘͚̘̩͒͗ͦ̽̏́̇̌̆̇̿͌̀͠E̱̰͇͚͈̗̣̟̺͈̪̩̭ͦ̓̿̈ͣͫͫ͘͟͡S̛͉̯̘͓̣̬̤̙̘͓̦̳̜ͨ̍͛̄̕͞͡

Well decided, :monster:.

P̡̣̣̳̰̱͕̬͓͎̻̬͛ͨͬ͐͜ͅh̴̴̺̼̻̤̭͆̿̆̀̊͑ͯ̇͗͢͢͝ͅ'̧̧̢̜̼̭̝̘ͬͣ̿̾̌ͧ̎ͧ͗̈̋ͭ̐ͦͭ̆̃̋̕n̴̟̳͍̞̥͍̮̤͍̫̟̪̝̪̼̱͚͖̂̋̃͛̀́́͞l̡̼̯̣̻͔̙̰̤͍̼̬͇̱͈̱͌̎ͭ̂̽ͫ͛ͣͥͭ͗̅̋ͤ̎̃̅̍͘͢ͅg̡̀̌̏ͥ̆̋ͤ̓̂̊̐ͨ̈́͆̿̔̎͒̚͘͏̬͚̪͓̟̳̫u̷̹̟͇̮̺̰̤̱̲̜̝͖̠̙͍̩͂͐͆̽̐̀̿͑͡i̢ͯ͐ͮͪ͊̇ͨ͌̿̽̚̕҉̠̖̘͕͔̟͖̣͕̝̦͖̰ ̨͍͈̥͖͇̩̣͕͇͈̳̪͙̜̲̿ͣ̇͂ͬ͑̆ͦ͗̀m̶̵̧̟͍̖̦̠̾̆ͥ̒ͥ̎ͧ̊ͬͥ̍̍̀ͯ̋̎ͣ̊͜͠g̡̬̞̪̯̮̹̲̠̥̟͕͈̃ͬͭ̒͌̔́̄̋ͤ͊͋̆̿̄ͯ̿̇̚ͅl̼̠̫̗͇͙̫̮ͣͥ̀ͧͨ̏̈́̽͆́̚͜͜w̶̶̧̹͚̟͈͎̩̦͈̘̦͈͔͔̿ͨ̈́̽͌͐͑̓̾ͅ'̴͔̭̠͓̼̰̣̙̿̐̀̓̅̿̓̌͒̚̕͠n̢̛̤͍̹̙̘͇̬̥̮̝͍̬̝̣̥̫̫̑ͪ͐̔͒̀̇ͥͥ̓̓͑͠͝ͅaͦ̊͋ͭ͛ͬ͌̀͛̉̔͋́̚͏̸͏͓̱̝͓̠f̸̨̡̛̗̫̼̗̮͙͖͓̘̟̖̝̦ͬ̄̇̎̒ͭͧ͝ͅͅh̢͇̜̝͖̣̙̹̜̲͉͕̒͐̓̄̓̀̕ͅ ̸̳͙̳̭̦͉̱̙̰̬̘ͣ̇ͭͧ̑̔̓̀̑̋ͥ̎̇̍̌ͅZ̨̛͎͈̰̦͎̺͈͚̹̺͍̉̅̀̍a̺͕̬ͯͪ̃ͩ̾̃̍ͬ̉͂͑ͫ̒̓̅̌ͯ́͝l̵̷͖̰̪̥̺͎͈͓̣͚̦͉̳͓͈̳͐͊̔ͩͨ̍ͮ̽̃ͩͮ͋ͥ́ͣͪg̵̛͎̺͈̠̹͎̘̲̟̙͉̲͒̃̒͑̆ͨͫ̅͊o̢̦̹̮̰̘̣̩̞̹̖̱͈̘͐̿ͥͣ̓̂̎ͦ̅ͪ͛͐ͤ̀̚ ̏̄ͣ͂̈́ͦ͊͑̅ͯ̈́͗̀ͧ͘͏̷̰̹̖̖̟̺̜̦R̢ͨ̊̌͛ͨ̏ͭ̇͆ͥͦ̍ͣ́͏̛̮̪̹'̌ͥ͛͛̽ͫ̏̾̈ͥ͐̂͋̈́̋̽͏̞̮͕͔͇͕̩͚̗l̵͗̋̾ͩͦͦͦ͂͛͗͘҉̵̨͈͎͕̪̗͉̭̳͇̬̰̰͉͕y̷̛͖͕̯̗̲̭͇̬͖͎̳̞̱̼ͫ̐ͤ̐̓̽̊̾ͣ͟ę̛̟̳͙̼͆ͥ̆͆ͪ̋̓ͥ̋̎̆̓ͬ̍ͮ͞͠h̛̔͋̀̍ͧ̎́̔ͤͯ̚̕҉͏̦͕̱̫̜̞̹͕͉̦͞ ̸̷̩̪̠̦̲̝̤̯̠̩͊͋̐̌́͟w̸̸̥̩̝̼̳̘̏́͌͌̔ͬ͒̄̄̌͠ĝ̨̻̝͎̗̩͖̙̺̲̼̪͋̅ͨ͆̿͊ͦ̒̓ă͇̮̰̙̩͙͓͔̫͚͙̗̩͍̼͉̋̿̽̋ͦ̔ͦ͐̑̋̌̇̾̍̆̔ͧ̊͠h̵͓͙͎̮̖̙̻̲͇̘͇̬͍̳̞͕͆̔ͦ͋̉ͨ̊̏̈ͭ̽ͬ̆ͯ͒ͨͩ͢͡'̴̵͎͍͚̣̥͈͉̣͋͐͐̿ͫͩͫ̓͂͋͒͋̉͑ň̦̜̼͍̫̼̝̦͕͍̣̥̝̰̘͔̙̺͛ͩ̃̔ͫ̈ͬ̚̕a̷̛̮̱̖̯̹͂͛̾̋͒͐ͮ̇̀̍ͨͩ͌̃ͮ̚g̵̨̞͚̻̲̈́ͪ̇̑̇̀ͩ̄̀́̍ͩͬ̅̕͟͝l̷̢̤̗͕̳̰͇̗̘͙̮̦̣ͯ̒͆́̈́͆͆̓͋ͧ̿͆̄̆̀̕ ͨͮ̅͏̮̺̫̻̠̗͢͞f̨̮̟̻̰̭̫͚̘̖̰̤̠̙̬͕̗ͬͧ̓̂͊̋͊̒̀͜͠h̶͌͗̓̈́̋҉̮͕̫͙͓̩̺͖̪͇͚̟͇̖̘̲t̗̞͓͉̞̱͚̯̬̀̄͋̓͒ͧ͋̅͒͋̅̃͊̔ͭ͝ͅǎ͑͋͆ͫ̌̏̄͐ͩͣ͏̡̦͓͙͎̻̹̠͍̹̠̥͍̻͙̠̞͎̕ͅͅg̽́̌ͣͮ̌̔̋ͦ͑͌͆ͤͫ̓̍̔ͨ͟͡͏̨̺̞͎̩̬̫̻͉̮̝̀ͅn̺̭̥̤͛̽͌̿ͭ̿̀̕͝!̸̢̯̬̺͔͐̽ͮ͑̈̓̉̚͝ ̶̧̣̬̠̗͈͚̫͓̬̻̤̋͑̀̈ͪ̇́̓ͪͫ̍ͧ̎͜I̺̘̥̺̤̤͔̩̘̻̬̳̽ͦͥ͆̐̅̏̽̌́͛ͦ̑̈́̑͆̀̕͠͡͡ä̶̸̬̻̼͕̳̝̫͗ͬ̍̑̃ͭͧ̍ͭͥ̋͆̚̕͠!̐̋ͥ̄ͨ̋̑ͮ̊͂҉͓͚̺͙̗̹̮̠͎̯̱͡͠ ̵̨̧̡͎̣͇̠͈̣̼͕̯̈́͌̆͗̑̿̾͊ͮͨ̑̕I̴̢̛̠̞̮̥̩̮̭̮͑̇ͭ̔̃͒͛ͫ̐̀̾͋͟͠ą̛͚͔͎̤͔̗̭̟̱̈̿͑̓̑̋̓ͣ͋̔̂̐̏̓ͦ́!̷̛̙̙̣͍͉͂́̉ͣ̏ͬͤͦ̃͟ ̢̡̻͖͈̮̠̮̹̯̝͖̻̫̩͓̜̌͑͛̇̎͋̿̽ͬ̑ͪ̇ͯ̐͢͞Z̞̗̱͕̩̦̝̲̟̥̾̈̑͋̔̉̋ͤͮ̇̋ͯ̍ͫ̏͗͘͡a̓̏̽̒̆̍̚͏̷̶̞̱͕͎̰̬̯l̵̸̛̖̝̜̫̣͓ͧ͌ͫ̀ͯ́͆͐̀͜g̸͈̳̞̫̑͆ͫͪ͛̍͝ͅoͦ̏̐̓̄̾͑ͧ̉̔̉͢͏͓̩͈̱̺̕ ̽ͬ̆́̒̊̿͊̏҉̢̭̤̱̱͉̗͔̜͢͡f͑́̌͊ͥ̍̈́҉̩̦̰̟̻̠̦̤̱͘͢ͅh̴̢̠̬͇͉̩͉̖̰͓͗ͭ̽͗͟͡t͔̞͓̦̜̦̖̟̙̭͚͚̲̪̓̆ͯͮ́̄ͥ̿̑̋̈̄ͨͧ̐̋̃̌ͩ̀͘ͅä̷̵͕͈̯͔͔̦͚̅͑ͬ̈͑́́g̛̥̳̬͉̠̩͓̖̼̭ͧ̇̓̿̕͟͝͡ņͥ͐̾ͤͭͤ̂ͥ̀̈͛͝͏̧̻̺̣̗̣̰̼͔̳̞͎̲͚̞̗͝ͅ!̸̸̢͙͍̼̠̞͛̂̑͗͋ͯ̉ͫͨͫ́͞

I wish I'd had the idea myself :monster:

This is starting to get to be some paranormal bullshit here. :scared:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
oh shit it actually works. sort of. Terribly shit translate incoming, but it should be good enough to get a very rough idea of what's up:

EDIT: shit fail, I took pictures off my monitor but I could've imported pictures too, :wacky:. NVM, I can't be arsed.

Not sure what this mysterious language is, but I think I was able to read some of it, even if all it did was make me laugh. Thank you for making my night :awesome:

e.suna

little nerdling
I like that Nomura appreciates the delicate balance he has to strike between staying true to the original game and being fresh and re-inventive, which is what the best of the FF series has always been about. Fans will be less let down by the remake if they can be realistic about what to expect.

Perfection can't be replicated, it can only carry different colors. It's going to be different and that will be okay. I hope he succeeds in capturing the original spirit of the game.

Also, I'm excited to learn what this promised new thing is that we've never seen before.

p.s. - thanks hito for translating. :)

Dolorian

Rookie Adventurer
Fans will be less let down by the remake if they can be realistic about what to expect.

Indeed. From what Nomura has been saying so far it sure seems like we should be looking forward to a reboot of FF VII (they will even announce a new title later on and it is safe to say it won't simply be Final Fantasy VII) as opposed to a remake of the original where the same plot is preserved with a few things added to it. Of course, every reboot preserves a lot of the original elments but changes or removes plenty of others as well while also adding new things.

My guess is that they will retain the overall outline of the original story (don't see them changing the most stand out events) and they will also retain the same characters as Nomura said but will likely change a lot of the in betweens and how things unfold between the major events. Will be interesting what they show this winter.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
The next time we will be able to bring you info about this game will be in the winter

south-park-s10e12c08-butters-freezes-cartman-16x9.jpg

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Am I the REALLY the only one in the world is gravely disappointed that they're rebooting Final Fantasy VII instead of continuing the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, leaving it as a cliff-hanger forever?

Am I the only one who wants a remake of Before Crisis-FFVII for PS-Vita or for PS4? Am I SERIOUSLY the only one in the entire Planet who wants to know what Genesis and Weiss are gonna do after the secret ending of Dirge of Cerberus-FFVII?:(

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Yes. :awesome:

Remake has been hugely in demand for ten years. Genesis was a shit character that barely anyone liked. As far as I'm concerned, Genesis crashed into a mountain after DC. Story resolved.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I can't be the only one. I've heard there were others who wanted to find out what happens next. There were people who wanted to know what happened next. Thousands of people wanted one more title to the Compilation of FFVII. I've talked to someone on here who was like me.

And not everyone wanted a remake anyway. There were many others who didn't want one in the first place. It's just down-right not fair that Nomura had said six years ago that they had ideas for future titles since he said the Advent Children Complete did not represent the end of the Compilation, and yet he had chosen to do a remake instead, and not even a remake of Before Crisis either.:no:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Is that supposed to be Gacket?

If Nomura's that bored of FFVII, then why even borther doing a remake? And if they're doing a whole new story, why not just make a sequel to end the Compilation instead of leaving everyone hanging and not admitting that they scrapped those ideas for more titles of the Franchise?

They haven't even said that they decided to cancel future titles of the Compilation, and I hate being left hanged for so long.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
They don't need to say they canceled any titles because they never officially announced any. Saying "we have ideas for more" isn't the same as making an official announcement. It doesn't even mean that a possible future Compilation game ever even went into pre-production.

Also, in March 2009 Nomura said that while he has an idea he doesn't expect any new developments in the series any time soon and that was pretty much the last we heard of that.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
They could've at least let us know that they scrapped those ideas rather than leave everyone hanging for six years. I don't know if you're a fan of National Treasure films, but this is just like how Disney announced National Treasure 3, but they still haven't done anything, and it's been eight years now, and they didn't even mention whether they cancelled the film or not. It didn't take them long to admit they canceled Tron 3, but to take this long for National Treasure 3? I don't think so.

I wish someone would ask Nomura about the Compilation of FFVII, and plus, they mentioned about that when they made G-Bike, and sure, they said that it's not related to the series, at least they mentioned about it last year, meaning that they still remember it, but still left us hanging.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
But it's strongly obvious now that's never gonna happen. I wish I could speak to Tetsuya Nomura and ask him why they decided to make a remake instead of another sequel answering the resolve of Genesis and Weiss and how that would effect Cloud, his friends, Rufus and the Turks, and why we still aren't getting a full remake of Before Crisis.
Nomura probably wouldn't admit it, but I think the biggest reason is ¥.

This remake is guaranteed to sell millions, whereas another compilation entry wouldn't be. Square Enix can't afford too many failures at the moment. I wouldn't rule out further additions after the remake though, so don't be too disappointed.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
They could've at least let us know that they scrapped those ideas rather than leave everyone hanging for six years. I don't know if you're a fan of National Treasure films, but this is just like how Disney announced National Treasure 3, but they still haven't done anything, and it's been eight years now, and they didn't even mention whether they cancelled the film or not. It didn't take them long to admit they canceled Tron 3, but to take this long for National Treasure 3? I don't think so.

And I just said it's not the same. Saying they have ideas is not the same as an official announcement or even an admission that this is currently a project in the works. It's just that, ideas.

You want them to announce cancelation of something that was never worked on in the first place. That doesn't even make sense especially since those ideas could technically come to fruition at a later date.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
But he admitted about Sora's design in E3 for Kingdom Hearts 3. If he can admit that, than he should admit on why he chose to go ahead for the remake where that'll be much more expensive than making a new sequel which would make fans who wanted a sequel happy. I mean, seriously, the Lightning Trilogy-the most stupidest FF games ever-got a happy ending and all of the questions answered, why not the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII?

They've added Advent Children renders of Cloud and Tifa for that musical FF game(can't remember it's name) and mentioned that G-Bike wasn't part of the Compilation, they said that it could lead to more FFVII games, and not mention of the remake back then. Plus, there's a huge gap between the Compilation and the epilogue of the original game which is set 500 years later.

I'm one of those people who are fans of the Compilation and hate cliff-hangers.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It's pretty simple - far more people want a remake than a sequel. Far, FAR more. People have been wanting a remake ever since the tech demo first saw the light of day. That was before even Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus or Crisis Core were released yet.

Square Enix has been asked about a remake many, many more times than about more Compilation entries. Believe me, I just got done researching all those interviews.

A remake of one of the most beloved and sucessful RPGs they ever made will be more profitable than a sequel to a spinoff that sold the least and was reviewed the worst.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I'm having a hard time imagining Square Enix *not* capitalizing on a legitimate remake for at least the next 5 years. There will be sequels. It will put LucasArts to shame.

We need that Before Crisis 3DS 4DS remake.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
The best timing for a FFVII compilation is right after they remake VII.

That is a given. There is way more demand for the remake than the conclusion. Thus, they go for: 1) what's going to make more money and 2) what makes more sense, market-wise.

There's more chances of FFVII remake going well enough to guarantee the new entry than a new entry gathering enough interest to justify FFVII remake. And in the meantime, they may even remake Before Crisis as a side project.

Do not lose hope yet, Tasha.

Now being anal; whenever somebody says "am I the only one in this planet who...", I always have to chuckle. For goodness' sake, of course you're not!! Count how many people live on Earth. Whenever you ask yourself if you're the only one in this planet who X, the answer will always be "NO".

Now back to being nice; I'm also interested in a possible conclusion of FFVII... but a remake (even when they say reboot, I believe it won't change so much) is even more interesting in my eyes. Hell, they could even "frame" this FFVII remake in such a way that the first and last part of the game were set AFTER DoC and finish the Compilation here!

I'm one of those people who are fans of the Compilation and hate cliff-hangers.

Tough luck there! The original game ended in a cliff-hanger. It's written on FFVII's DNA.

Lex

Administrator
I don't mind cliffhangers like the one we had in the original VII, because tbh I think the way it ended was brilliant. It left you wanting answers but not in a "this makes no sense" kind of way, it really allowed you to make your own mind up.

Having said that, I really do want them to finish the compilation. DoC had a very different kind of cliffhanger. The kind that makes no sense unless there was more going on we didn't know about, which did indicate something else would come out and explain it.

I will say that if this remake is the last thing that happens relating to VII, I won't be disappointed. This is the big thing most fans have been waiting for, and I'm far more excited about this than I would have been about another compilation entry (which surprises even me).

But I'm still convinced this might end in a way that's not like the original FFVII, so we might get a conclusion to the compilation in this title. If not, it's possible there'll be like a time-skip DLC or something.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
If it means anything, I'm in the camp of, would have preferred new content to remade old content.
Nothing to do with cliff hangers. I just like these characters and this world and wanna see it all keep growing and changing for the rest of my life.
But, not one bit upset about the remake. There's been huge gaps between compilation pieces and every time I'm concerned it's the last thing we're ever gonna get.
So, I'll take whatever I can get.
Remake looks like it's gonna be amazing. Trailer made me cry like a nerd baby. And I can't imagine getting this means we're any less likely to get any other compilation content.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I'm having a hard time imagining Square Enix *not* capitalizing on a legitimate remake for at least the next 5 years. There will be sequels. It will put LucasArts to shame.

We need that Before Crisis 3DS 4DS remake.

Thankfully, I hope you're right about the sequels. And I agree that we need a Before Crisis Remake, but I'd think it'll do better on a Vita, though it'll be interesting to see it on a 3DS or a 4DS(if that ever comes, since we got a 2DS which was released after 3DS, weirdly enough.)

Sorry it took me so long to comment, but super great work on the article! I'm getting all nostalgic here. It's like the good old days when the Compilation was active and Strangelove made translations which were then neatly processed into article formats by the frontpage staff (in this case Lex).

*thumbs up*

Top Bottom