Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
(Hian) said:
Also, FFVII having 3 disks of gameplay? You do know that almost the entire reason the game came on 3 disks was because of the size of the prerendered cut-scenes right? Not because of the story length, or the gameplay.
FFVII is a one disk game that came on 3 disks because it was showed full of cutscenes.

That's what I meant in sizes and GB and whatnot. You're not wrong there.

(Kain424) said:
There's plenty of reason. But since we actually don't know the size of Kingdom Hearts III, there's not much point.

I heard the PS4 size of KH3 is 50GB minimum file size for Kingdom Hearts III revealed by PS4 Pro packaging while the Xbox One version is 35.81gb which is needed for Xbox One digitally.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I don't think size in terms of data was ever a concern. Red Dead comes with a second disc for data install, and last I checked we're not anywhere near a TB sized game.

No, the split is all about development time, and if they're super ambitious, not creating a game that is damned long that it can't be justified as a 60 dollar single purchase, nor could a gamer be expected to dedicate over 60-100 hours into a single game.

But most likely it's just that they don't want to listen to us complaining for ANOTHER decade about a game taking too long to come out. Some people can go ahead and say "Nah, I can wait," but...most of us can't.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
50Gb is pretty wild. With RDR2 at 99Gb, it makes me wonder. If they do a world map for VIIR, this could require as huge install. Maybe a PS5 is exactly what it'll need.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
fact that SE already thought it was okay to create the game without having Nomura on site in the first place (when it was being done at CC2)

Unless I’m misunderstanding what you mean by “on site”, Nomuras been well into the directors role and on site from Day 1. And I believe it was said to be somewhat annoying to communicate through video conference with CC2, so we was directing and keeping an eye on CC2
The “’I thought you were going to direct!’ ‘Well I thought YOU were going to direct!’” episode was something that happened in the initial stages of the project’s inception and Nomura has stated that he is presently well aware of and well into his position as director
Don’t give them ideas :(

Reactions: pxp

hian

Purist
Unless I’m misunderstanding what you mean by “on site”, Nomuras been well into the directors role and on site from Day 1. And I believe it was said to be somewhat annoying to communicate through video conference with CC2, so we was directing and keeping an eye on CC2

Don’t give them ideas :(

You are. "On site" is a term that refers to a person working at the place where something is made.
Nomura was directing FFVIIR remotely, not directly.
Director or not - you cannot efficiently manage a video-game production like that, hence why the project lead for FFVIIR was changed with the game being taken in-house.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
You are. "On site" is a term that refers to a person working at the place where something is made.
Nomura was directing FFVIIR remotely, not directly.
Director or not - you cannot efficiently manage a video-game production like that, hence why the project lead for FFVIIR was changed with the game being taken in-house.

Thought you’d made a typo or something.

I see so many people on the net trying to claim that Nomura has only recently started working on the game ?.

Of course it’s more efficient to do it in house, as I said it’s was known to be difficult to be long distance directing

He wasn’t on site for KH3 either I don’t think.

Last I heard he was based in Tokyo? But not Osaka where KH3 is being developed.

Ahh talk of more news, unfortunately we’ve been burned before on this type of thing but there’s nothing to hide behind this time.

So I expect news but also a nagging feeling that they could let us down again

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
We should check this website more often ( https://gb.wantedly.com/companies/jp4 ), it seems that it can give us more interviews in the future. I found this interview conducted by Aya Hirayama, head of Human Resources Department to Shinichiro Biwa Planner of the First Business Division. The only problem is that it is in full Japanese.

Date: 2018-07-19
Link: https://gb.wantedly.com/companies/jp4/post_articles/126120

f0f28db1-de6b-4e1d-bf46-7e3121550fbd

hian

Purist
I'm looking over it, but it's pretty extensive and a big part of it is the person being interviewed explaining his work process, and the workflow/structure of the Div.1 team working on the remake.

But, here are some bullet-points :

- he talks a lot about having creative freedom, and that the people on the team have the room to pursue their passion and have creative input on the work. He says, even despite the it being a legacy title with a lot of immovable parts, if you have a good idea, you can walk up and make a proposal directly to the director.
He also speaks generally in a way I think that indicates a lot of work has been done, since when asked about naming some successes and failures of the project, he mentions having succeeded at creating levels with satisfying play(play the team felt satisfied with) for the locations he was in charge of.
For a person to say this would indicate that gameplay systems are firmly in place, since it wouldn't be possible to determine whether to be satisfied with how gameplay works in the levels if systems were not properly implimented.

- There's an interesting spot where he basically says that "while the current project (FFVIIR) is an RPG with action elements, and while we have the freedom to create the fields (levels) from a view of it being a complete action game, we cannot add action elements that do not match up with the original game, or the world (of FFVII) [li. It's not like there is an infinite amount of options to choose from].
This goes back to confirm the game is indeed an action RPG (and not a full action game as some had feared due to the listing that seemed to suggest otherwise recently). It also seems to suggest they're working hard to make an action RPG system that takes into account the systems and lore of the original game.

- He expands on the above point by saying that, even so (seemingly working off of the previous notion of the action elements being limited) that he was interested in creating a game (taking inspiration from other action games) where simply walking, or maneuvering the enviroment is fun and interesting.
The Japanese seems to compound into an idea that whereas the actual combat might not be that action based, he as a level designer is interesting in, and feels as if he has succeeded at making environments that express other action elements.
What I take this to mean is that while they see the actual action elements as they pertain to combat to be somewhat limited by the legacy of the older game, and the lore, they see other ways of expressing active play through the use of the enviroments themselves, which might suggest things like free-running elements, climbing, platforming etc.

- He talks about the transition from 2D to 3D, saying that there's an entirely new dimension (no pun intended) to the act of discovering things in the environment. While points of interest where obvious before, they might not be now, and so the environments are not just a matter of walking through; you now have to look around, search for things, explore with your eyes.

Those or more or less the only interesting parts, so I don't know if I can spare the time to really go in-depth and translate the entire thing word for word.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
More content courtesy of Neith: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168653-final-fantasy-vii-remake/77386199/915674097

NeithOF
I translated some parts of the interview that the guy on the TLS forum didn't. Keep in mind this is a rough translation, i am not fluent.

He splits the process of creating a location in 3 parts
Part 1: Interpretation of the locations he is in charge of from the original FF7 game
part 2: Planning modifications/additions and alterations to the location, then getting them approved through meetings as well as deciding how much resources are needed.
part 3: Actually implementing the above, then polishing up the location.

He says that because the story is already decided and the game has a linear progression (story wise) how to design a location depends on the battle scenarios that take part in it, from necessary character motions and actions to how vertical the area must be, the events/setpieces that will take place in the area etc, all are taken into consideration before creating the location
aka they use the original as direct reference on what will happen in each area, then adapt that to the new combat and additional events, taking into account how the characters will move and what actions they will have available etc then they create the location.

During the planning phase of a location they include all the elements that make up the game such as scenario, actions, terrain type, topography.
The resources ordered/asked for each location include everything, from experts on bug stuff, to character designers, scenario writers, cutscene directors, UI designers and motion directors, even texts for NPCs.

Once all this is done they of course can't just implement them arbitrarily, it is necessary to responsibly implement all the resources used and of course there are always issues and shortcomings that will be visible here and there so they promote revisions and when they move forward to the next location they keep in mind "how can we improve even more on this one".

For the above reasons the amount of work constantly gets increased but that is something that can't be helped/is inevitable since that's exactly what allows them to achieve what they really want freely. Even when keeping the games volume in mind the amount of work they have to do for each location seems as if you're making a game from 0 and because of that there is a lot of enthusiasm.

He also confirms that the planning phase for all locations is already settled, they have already entered the "building/making" phase and the locations are already taking shape, and getting closer to how they have imagined them every day.

Last interesting part, he was asked what is the most difficult time during work and he said
"When a great idea doesn't get realized as intended due to technical difficulties which then forces modifications on the initial plan, or when someone else comes up with a brilliant new idea which makes me feel bad for myself for not coming up with it.
Because when you're feeling like you have given all the great ideas you could come up with and then someone else comes with a new overwhelmingly good idea you feel the frustration."

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
- There's an interesting spot where he basically says that "while the current project (FFVIIR) is an RPG with action elements, and while we have the freedom to create the fields (levels) from a view of it being a complete action game, we cannot add action elements that do not match up with the original game, or the world (of FFVII) [li. It's not like there is an infinite amount of options to choose from].

This seems like they are talking about environment interactivity, like how we saw Cloud moving about reactively in that gameplay trailer from a few years ago.

ffviirareas.png

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It all makes me pretty excited, but the part that made me immediately excited was about looking at the planning and considerations needed for any particular area when planning out the level's layout and verticality, etc. It makes me think about these images in particular:

Those are the kinds of environment, where adding in some more interesting movement and interactions that you'd expect more out of an A-RPG title, than a classic JRPG. Especially when looking at how layouts of things like the recent God of War were done makes that interesting from a developer standpoint, and it's definitely something where you can feel that there are some cool ideas that get cut for how difficult they are (in God of War specifically I remember the Turtle "Chaurli" as the house being a big one that they were determined to implement).

This is the kind of interview that makes it seem like when they do have something to show, they're gonna have some things to show that'll be exciting that are in no way the sort of thing that most fans would be thinking about when they're waiting for it.

X :neo:

Top Bottom