• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
I expect it late 2020/early 2021 at the earliest.

No way is it this year. I'd bet on it. I'll dye my hair blue if it's this year. =P

Dye it blonde instead, spike it up. And buy yourself a replica buster sword. Then run around your neighborhood naked screaming “I LOVE THIS FREAKING GAME!!!!!!”

Oh, sorry, I got confused with what I’m going to do for the midnight launch of the remake. ?

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
No way is it this year. I'd bet on it. I'll dye my hair blue if it's this year. =P

Their operating income projections require over 10 million sales of a $60 game.

I haven't heard any alternative way that could possibly happen except FF7 remake. No way would they have those projections for an Avengers game they haven't even shown yet.

Give in and let the hype take you.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Could be the Marvel thing we haven't heard anything about aswell.

Obviously I'm hoping it's VIIR. But I'm not nearly ready to believe it's coming this year yet.
Just seems so unlikely to be Avengers given we’ve heard even less about that, and that has had even less dev time than 7R (unless that was secretly begun back in 2014-2015). Avengers has had just one 50 second trailer tease in January 2017.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Any reason why? Just curious

I'm basically looking at KH3 for reference. 5.5 years from announcement to release.
Also, we haven't seen anything in almost three and a half years. Them suddenly re-emerging and giving a release date less than six months away? I see Capcom doing that, but not Square Enix.
I think if it was this year we would have known last year.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Reason for that could simply be that they didn't think FF7 needed the longer build-up, so they kept it quiet because they didn't want to eat into the KH3 marketing campaign. It would've probably overshadowed KH3 in quite an unhelpful way.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Even I think it's unwise to announce something this big just a few months before release (maybe I've become one of them). Maybe 9 or 12 months is better...

... unless they went nuts with constant promotion from whenever it is announced until release date. In which case, by all means!!

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I'm standing by my belief they will be announcing something around or right after the release of the Switch port. That should fit in fine with a holiday release.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Even I think it's unwise to announce something this big just a few months before release (maybe I've become one of them). Maybe 9 or 12 months is better...

The rumor was that there'd be an event in April. The investors briefing also said 'more info leading up to E3'.
Big announcement in April and launch in November/December seems fairly reasonable. That's plenty of time for building hype.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
I'm basically looking at KH3 for reference. 5.5 years from announcement to release.
Also, we haven't seen anything in almost three and a half years. Them suddenly re-emerging and giving a release date less than six months away? I see Capcom doing that, but not Square Enix.
I think if it was this year we would have known last year.

KH3 did lose a year of development due to changing engine, so it really could’ve come out early 2018 which would be 4.5 years from announcing the game to release.

That would put this game at the end of 2019/early 2020 for 4.5 years after announcement.

Does anyone know how far into KH3 they were when it was announced? They’ve stated that FF7 went into “pre-production around the time the PS4 PC port was announced” which was December 2014. So FF7 was announced 6 months into development.

Can we also consider KH3 licensing issues which 7 won’t be bogged down with? This would surely extend development time.

There also this to remember.
Reason for that could simply be that they didn't think FF7 needed the longer build-up, so they kept it quiet because they didn't want to eat into the KH3 marketing campaign. It would've probably overshadowed KH3 in quite an unhelpful way.

Of which they’ve stated how they didn’t want marketing to interfere with KH3 marketing.

When they revealed XV it was 3 years after that and after 4 years of development. That’s a recent FF to come out.

They’ve shown recent intent to announce games closer to release so it may just be a case of “let’s actually just market the game when’s it coming up very soon”

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I would also lean towards the side of a comparatively short period between date/announcement and actual release, largely because of the twin mitigating factors that this game is A. A remake, and B. A fuckin' Final Fantasy VII remake. Think about what's happened in the painfully-long period between the initial announcement and now...sure, there's been anticipation and excitement, but that gap also left the door wide open for a MASSIVE wave of projected criticism, "don't get your hopes up"-isms, "Top 10 Reasons Why Square Will Botch This" lists, 'Let's Speculate on Drama Within the Company and the Ways it's Tearing Itself Apart' articles--the list goes on. Since the audience for this game is so largely built-in, having a relatively short period between announcing the date and it actually being available highly increases the chances of "Finally, it's here, take my money, I don't care" buyer excitement, you could almost say more impulse-driven, without leaving so much room for reflection which turns to doubt which turns to hesitation. It's a strategy employed with certain kinds of film releases fairly often.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
... without leaving so much room for reflection which turns to doubt which turns to hesitation.
4icLC2E.jpg

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Yeah, looked fake from the moment I first saw it. And everyone is passing around the same screenshot. If this happened you bet there'd hundreds of people who saw it. The background is even pretty similar to last year's E3 conference announcement (Even though I couldn't exactly match it).

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
The font doesn't really match FF7 though, like Shademp said. I know it's a pedantic level of tonal consistency, but developers often ARE that pedantic about such things.

A font having that kind of elegant regal sense to it, fits with a game about a prince with a latin name. It does not fit with a game about a mercenary named after meteorological phenomena, living in a cyberpunk city.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
There are certain games which don't require a massive marketing drive. The Remake will be one of those games.

While this is true, Square is enterprising. Think of how much side cash Square made with XV pr. I mean, they made deals to show off a goddamned model sports car and a line of fashion clothes.

So they're going to have even more people chomping at the bit to ride along on the VII-R hype train. That stuff takes time to hammer out, whether it's a model of Cloud's bike by Harley Daytona, or Cloud's dress as designed by Balenciaga. : /

Top Bottom