• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
If FF Versus XIII were actually completed and became successful, I think Nomura would be happy riding with Kitase into the sunset after VII Remake is over, but as it stand I can't imagine the guy being satisfied. I'd love for Kitase to finish where he started with FF6 (personally prefer this to be remade more than 8), but sadly I don't think he will have any time or energy left after this monstrous project.

Nomura might give another FF title a shot, maybe? He's one of the "younger" talents from the previous generation and most likely still have some time. I really want to see him having something to his name without having hands tied behind the back. Probably not gonna happen while he's at Square though.
I hope 6 would be remade before 8 as well. Hell, even 9 before 8. (9 is my favorite, so I might be a little biased)

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I hope 6 would be remade before 8 as well. Hell, even 9 before 8. (9 is my favorite, so I might be a little biased)

I hope IX would be next as it's my second favorite entry. However, as of recently, I was thinking about how FFVIII would work with the FFVIIR model and how so much of that game could be improved and now I'm actually kinda wanting that as much as a FFIX remake even though I wasn't a fan of the game at all. It's a game with a lot of good ideas (junction system is cool in theory), but very poor execution. VI would be cool too.

Reactions: LNK

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I hope IX would be next as it's my second favorite entry. However, as of recently, I was thinking about how FFVIII would work with the FFVIIR model and how so much of that game could be improved and now I'm actually kinda wanting that as much as a FFIX remake even though I wasn't a fan of the game at all. It's a game with a lot of good ideas (junction system is cool in theory), but very poor execution. VI would be cool too.
Yeah, I just want all 4 of those remade. The order doesn't matter, as long as they are done. If not, oh well. I still have the originals

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I doubt it’s a scenario that’s likely to ever pan out, but I would be really interested in seeing Yoko Taro remake FFVIII, I think his weird existential style could really mesh well with FFVIII’s story and even build upon the original.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I've always been a VIII Fan ("Apologist"??), but I almost feel like regardless of where you stand on it, it is pretty clearly one of the FFs that would stand to benefit most from the kind of tweaks that are relatively standard fare with these kind of remakes in general, namely:
- A re-thought/updated Battle System in place of one now considered archaic/problematic (Drawing's for pictures on the fridge, behbeh!)
- Expanded backstories/plot involvement/personality depth/etc for characters who in an original game might have been underutilized, or had content cut or removed, and so on (I feel like I'm not finding the right words to describe this, so hopefully you guys know what I mean...for me, more or less after the First Act, this aspect is VIII's biggest 'sin', plot + world-building wise)

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Didn't Nomura still want to make Versus XIII (under a different title and with some changes obviously)? I could have sworn I saw that somewhere but could just be rumor...

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-developers

Tetsuya Nomura said:
I started up the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project around the time of Compilation of FINAL FANTASY VII. We’d gone through Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus, and I was planning this by myself for about a year as the fifth and final entry in the compilation.

So that Crisis Core ending tease was definitely intentional.

Tetsuya Nomura said:
With regard to new characters, of whom I said during past interviews that there would be “none” – though they aren’t main characters, their numbers ended up growing considerably in the process of creating a rich depiction of Midgar. When you think of Midgar’s final boss, you probably think of the M.O.T.O.R., but in this game new bosses will appear and add to the excitement of the story even more.

So we're ending Midgar probably around where most of us are expecting

Tetsuya Nomura said:
We’ve already begun working on the next one as well, but I’m confident that playing through this title will expand your expectations just like the world that extends beyond Midgar.

:hype:

Motomu Toriyama said:
We took care to remake not only the main characters, but also characters like Johnny and the Shinra Middle Manager who I created back then. Please keep your eye out to see how they make their new appearances. Additionally, when remaking the Honey-Bee Inn at the Wall Market, we revived it is as a pantheon of entertainment, which couldn’t be realized back then. Here, the scene that many of you have been eager to see, where Cloud disguises himself. Please enjoy.

Oh my gods. The first mention of the all-important minor NPCs!!

I'm just gonna leave it at those quotes, but there're 11 different people interviewed and SO MUCH MORE!

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
I love everything that I'm hearing and seeing. Absolutely everything.

EDIT: Has to be said though, is Nomura contradicting himself when he says he started working on the remake at the end of the compilation? I'm probably conflating it with him being surprised he was the director during the announcement in 2015.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Shinra Middle Manager. Did he mean this guy? Can't wait to watch his slow descent into madness in full HD :mon:Fingers crossed for the lady who walked looking on the ground to grab stuff, then up after the pillar crashed and finally just straight ahead after Meteor was summoned!

EDIT: Has to be said though, is Nomura contradicting himself when he says he started working on the remake at the end of the compilation? I'm probably conflating it with him being surprised he was the director during the announcement in 2015.

I found that weird too. Maybe he just meant he started thinking about it.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Maybe he was surprised to be named the director specifically, rather than Kitase or someone else? He had begun working on updated designs or gameplay ideas or the like, only to find out he was director of the whole thing?

Then again, I seem to remember that surprise quote being taken out of context or something so I dunno.

NagromXII

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I noticed some people seemed to be confused about the context concerning the "Nomura was surprised he was the director" quote. Most people seem to believe that Nomura was surprised because he was not a part of the project before hearing he was going to be the director. This is not true at all. Nomura and Kitase had been working together on the Remake since pretty much the beginning. What Nomura meant was that he had assumed Kitase would be the director considering Kitase is Nomura's senior in the company and that Nomura would be the co-director or something like that. But Kitase has said in an interview that Nomura was "essentially doing everything a Director would do, so they might as well make him the director in that case." So it is certainly possible that Nomura had been always planning to make a remake after all the compilation content.

Lex

Administrator
I will say that page of dev interviews made me feel really good about the remake. I feel like they're giving it the love and care it deserves. Time will tell obviously, but I have my fingers crossed it'll be everything we're dreaming about.

Top Bottom