Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
That's semantics. Either they're lying or they're being forthright.

This argument that they're clueless creators unaware of what makes their work spanning 20 years popular with an audience, just doesn't make sense. Especially in light of all the merchandising, commentary, exhibitions, popularity polls and the dialogue they've made about the work. It's so silly to me. They're grown ass men. :monster:

If you're going to say they achieved that level of recreation up until Chapter 17/18, then you either think they did that by accident or they did it intentionally through their ability. If it's intentional, then they have a direction and purpose behind it. It may be divergent in the immediate but unless they're brainworm addled, they're not somehow ignorant of their own commentary and meaning behind the words they say.

What? Were they lying when they said that they wouldn’t be including the Compilation? No they weren’t, but can we look back and that and say “I was right not to believe that?” Yes. There is a difference between dishonesty and lack of trustworthiness.

The core philosophy of the project is based on two opposing principles that cannot coexist harmoniously. Ultimately, my preferred philosophy bowed to yours. So yeah, I believe they want what they say to be true, that they will recreate iconic scenes to everyone’s satisfaction. I also believe that what I have already experienced will continue throughout the conclusion.

Also, you’re doing that thing again where you’re strawmanning me and painting my point of view as just wanting a safe nostalgia fix and a baby bottle. That’s seriously rude.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Okay, it should be pointed out though, they never actually said they wouldn't being including the Compilation, that was a misinterpretation that got spread around. The statement was in regards to a question about if SE had any plans to do the equivalent of the Kingdom Hearts ReMix collection but with the Compilation titles as part of the Remake project/marketing. And SE said no, they aren't doing that in part because they don't want to advertise the Remake as being super beholden to the Compilation and/or that playing the Compilation would be a requirement for the Remake, not that stuff from the Compilation wouldn't be included.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Okay, it should be pointed out though, they never actually said they wouldn't being including the Compilation, that was a misinterpretation that got spread around. The statement was in regards to a question about if SE had any plans to do the equivalent of the Kingdom Hearts ReMix collection but with the Compilation titles as part of the Remake project/marketing. And SE said no they aren't doing that because they don't want to advertise the Remake as being super beholden to the Compilation and/or that playing the Compilation would be a requirement for the Remake, not that stuff from the Compilation wouldn't be included.

Fair enough. These quotes are also all at the mercy of translation. I think it is wise not to get one’s hopes up.

I believe that each part is going to fumble someone’s most anticipated sequence, and more and more of its defenders will be eating their words as the years and titles roll out. As someone who often eats his words, I don’t believe this is one of those cases for me. I actually feel somewhat lucky that the project has already hit my rock bottom.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Fair enough. These quotes are also all at the mercy of translation. I think it is wise not to get one’s hopes up.

I believe that each part is going to fumble someone’s most anticipated sequence, and a lot of people will be eating their words. As someone who often eats his words, I don’t believe this is one of those cases for me. I actually feel somewhat lucky that the project has already hit my rock bottom.
Perhaps, but the thing with the initial Compilation misinformation is that it was the result of a French article/interview that had translated it's Japanese answers into French, which then had fan translations into English. The most recent statements are all from Japanese being directly translated into English, that has less room for error.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
This game is beginning to have all the philosophical depth and emotional resonance of a fiendish Sudoku.
I sometimes wonder if I'm the odd one out in thinking the remake's writing is actually a lot more thoughtful than the original's in a lot of ways, particularly in regards to the nuances of the character writing and the social commentary.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I believe that each part is going to fumble someone’s most anticipated sequence, and more and more of its defenders will be eating their words as the years and titles roll out. As someone who often eats his words, I don’t believe this is one of those cases for me. I actually feel somewhat lucky that the project has already hit my rock bottom.
I'm at this stage myself. The entire thing... let's just say part of why I'm *really* hoping for a divergence is so that the frustration I felt at Chapter 18 changing up the entirety of the thrust of the plot was all worth it.

I'm not going to say I think the Remake is a joke. But it's certainly not something I am taking that seriously. If it screws up, it screws up. If it doesn't, it doesn't. If leaves the OG behind... well at least the *story* itself already said that was going to happen at the end of Part 1. I'm more just wanting the story to stay true to what it said was going to happen at this point than anything else. What the devs say... they *want* to see us surprised. Giving the game away too early goes against everything creative people *like* seeing their audience do. What the *story* says is a lot more important. Because the story really can't lie to the player and have it go over well.

And when the story says "the old Destiny has changed"... when then the old Destiny had *better* not happen. Or everyone failed to destroy Destiny like they thought they did and the entire boss fight with Harbringer was *meaningless*. And having a *meaningless* plot point is one of the worst things a story can do.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But like I keep saying, I'd rather a meaningless fight be a blemish on part one than for continued stupidity in later games merely to justify it. I'd rather look back and be like "what was all that about?" when reminiscing about part one then having Zack and Aerith fighting Safer Sephiroth with the Triforce at the end of Part x.

Obviously I know it's infinitely more likely to be something in between. I just mean that if they somehow got to a point where they were like, "You know I don't think I can keep track of this anymore, let's just remake the game straight the rest of the way," I would be fully on board :monster:

Ite

AKA
Ite
I’m looking at future parts of this project only for what can be stripmined for gifs :monster:

I sometimes wonder if I'm the odd one out in thinking the remake's writing is actually a lot more thoughtful than the original's in a lot of ways, particularly in regards to the nuances of the character writing and the social commentary.

To be positive for a change, I agree with you, particularly in the early game. I’m of the belief that any story benefits from “the long con” and there was a lot of sensible expansion at work in Remake, particularly of the Av trio, the Shinra execs, and (angel music) Chapter 9.

It makes me want Final Fantasy XVI, or something fully new.

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood

I personally think that the characterisation in Remake is far, far superior to what it was in the OG, and that's partly why people love it sooooooooo much. The way the devs worked with Remake, you can feel that they want fans to love everybody in the cast. They've work hard to achieve that.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I also believe that what I have already experienced will continue throughout the conclusion.

And when the story says "the old Destiny has changed"... when then the old Destiny had *better* not happen. Or everyone failed to destroy Destiny like they thought they did and the entire boss fight with Harbringer was *meaningless*. And having a *meaningless* plot point is one of the worst things a story can do.

But this here is one of the key things in the disagreements, there isn't even a consensus on *what* exactly we've experienced or what "old/new" Destiny stuff means. Like we all played Chapters 17/18, but obviously we've come away with very different reactions of how significant said additions were and whether or not that aligns with what the devs are saying currently.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Don't tell anyone but I heard from a very reliable source that Zack and Cloud will do the fusion dance to become Cloudack, the ultimate SOLDIER of legend.

That was Sephiroth's plan all along, reunite the two bestest warriors fused together in order to absorb them and become... There isn't even a name for this glorious figure...

Ite

AKA
Ite
But this here is one of the key things in the disagreements, there isn't even a consensus on *what* exactly we've experienced or what "old/new" Destiny stuff means.

I believe that is an intentional aspect of the writing — to confuse us, cause debate, and put us off balance. I don’t care about what plot stuff they are using to cause this, that is their intention and this is the result. It will continue in every part to come, whether it is more heartless, time travelling Aeris, the Zack dimension, other Jenovas flying in, Squall showing up. I don’t believe it matters to them as long as it does this to us.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Instead of being either A) so full of confidence on Remake's future that you smother negative impressions, or B) so full of despair that you're happy the series was "pre-ruined" for you, I'm going to quietly suggest option C) remain open-minded to wherever the plot goes and appreciate how hard the devs are working on this.

Last edited:

Smoothie King

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pat
I didn’t say they are lying, I’m saying I don’t believe them. There is a difference. And can you blame me? The title of the game is intentially cheeky double-speak.

I believe that they want to deliver an unforgettable experience, using the story of Final Fantasy VII. I believe that is their honest intention. But if Chapter 17 is their (and your) idea of a recreation, it’s clear that this product isn’t for me.

Chapter 17 should have had President Shinra with a sword in his back. I agree that the speech was hokey and clichéd. I also didn't like the choice to forego them in jail cells in favor of Aerith and Ifalna's room. Agreed with that. The trail of blood I will give them a pass because they even admitted they wanted to make it blood but were constrained by the ratings board. Whatever.

Anyway, even with all that said, the Shinra building as a set piece in a 2020 video game was one of the most impressive I've ever seen. On its own merits it was an incredible video game experience, even taking into account things that I thought were better in 1997.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I believe that is an intentional aspect of the writing — to confuse us, cause debate, and put us off balance. I don’t care about what plot stuff they are using to cause this, that is their intention and this is the result. It will continue in every part to come, whether it is more heartless, time travelling Aeris, the Zack dimension, other Jenovas flying in, Squall showing up. I don’t believe it matters to them as long as it does this to us.
I think for sure they want the audience to have the feeling of “what happens next?”, almost every writer of serial fiction wants that (at least before they are finished), even with remakes and adaptations. And I am sure they think discussion and debate are normal, if not encouraged elements of audience engagement with media.
I don’t think they are intentionally are trying to “put people off balance” or generate strife and confusion (not the same as people having questions about what comes next though). I doubt the devs have adversarial/Machiavellian mindset towards their audiences, even when they make truly inexplicable choices (like Nojima and his exploding blitz balls), I think creative whims and/or the desire not stagnant creatively are always going to be more likely explanations than speculating on sinister motives.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I know why people are upset and worried, but I really feel like a lot of this discussion is putting the cart before the horse fo the sake of cynicism. I've said this before, but I feel like a lot of you are letting a few controversial choices towards the end completely overshadow everything they did right throughout the rest of the game, and imagining worst case scenarios for later just to perpetuate that negativity. There's also a lot of "what I wanted vs what they made" going on here, which I don't think is a fair way to engage with this sort of thing (Ite's gripes with misleading marketing aside.) I don't know, the new ending didn't feature the characters blabbering about destiny, the door to darkness, the heart of the cards or whatever, it was just them acting like people again. If that's what we can expect from the writing going forward, I really don't think it can be that bad. Hopefully Red XIII talks next game lol.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've said this before, but I feel like a lot of you are letting a few controversial choices towards the end completely overshadow everything they did right throughout the rest of the game, and imagining worst case scenarios for later just to perpetuate that negativity.

And I've said before that I'm definitely not. The game is 90% excellent, and that classifies it comfortably as "good" for me, better than I could have imagined in many places. Was my personal 2020 game of the year and nothing else came close. I would tell anyone that asked me on the street that it's great and they should play it.
But none of that changes that the ending was pants-on-head stupid and I will continue to snark about it. :monster:

It is more accurate to say that I'm allowing the "controversial decisions" to dominate my thoughts about the remainder of the project. Because the further you go and project, the greater and greater the chance that those decisions become more and more intrusive. But it definitely doesn't overshadow the quality of this game for me.

I don't know, the new ending didn't feature the characters blabbering about destiny, the door to darkness, the heart of the cards or whatever, it was just them acting like people again.

Yeah, and it was fucking incredible. I was grinning the entire time. But while it showcased the huge strength of the remake, it also represented what we could have had in the ending to begin with. And it wasted no time reminding us that that's not what happened :zackball:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I believe that they want to deliver an unforgettable experience, using the story of Final Fantasy VII. I believe that is their honest intention. But if Chapter 17 is their (and your) idea of a recreation, it’s clear that this product isn’t for me.

Honestly... I get this. I am a total purist, and can admit this. I think a lot of us wanted the game to be Final Fantasy VII, remade. We didn't want to wade into the Compilation, messy as it is. Final Fantasy VII is great. So separate it. But yeah. It's clear they wanted to please "everyone", despite the fact that is usually a recipe for disaster. So it seems we're getting Final Fantasy VII, viewed through the lens of our uncouth cousin, the canonical version of the Compilation. And that's sort of a bummer for us purists. There's just too much in there that doesn't really work.

HOWEVER, it should be acknowledged this mindset isn't entirely fair. Neither to the developers, nor ourselves. Imagine making games and telling stories for DECADES... but all anyone wants to hear about is that one story or game you made when you were more or less starting out. I understand the artistic side of wanting to crack back into your "greatest work" and try to make your less successful stuff flow into it better. And as a new player, I really DO want to experience new things. This has the rare possibility of being great.

I loved most of what I experienced in the Midgar portion of Remake. In fact, I prefer this version of Midgar to the original. But I understand that is a subjective experience. And I also understand trepidation. The uncertainty going forward. Hopefully it works out for you. And for me, if I'm being honest.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Honestly... I get this. I am a total purist, and can admit this. I think a lot of us wanted the game to be Final Fantasy VII, remade. We didn't want to wade into the Compilation, messy as it is. Final Fantasy VII is great. So separate it. But yeah. It's clear they wanted to please "everyone", despite the fact that is usually a recipe for disaster. So it seems we're getting Final Fantasy VII, viewed through the lens of our uncouth cousin, the canonical version of the Compilation. And that's sort of a bummer for us purists. There's just too much in there that doesn't really work.

HOWEVER, it should be acknowledged this mindset isn't entirely fair. Neither to the developers, nor ourselves. Imagine making games and telling stories for DECADES... but all anyone wants to hear about is that one story or game you made when you were more or less starting out. I understand the artistic side of wanting to crack back into your "greatest work" and try to make your less successful stuff flow into it better. And as a new player, I really DO want to experience new things. This has the rare possibility of being great.

I loved most of what I experienced in the Midgar portion of Remake. In fact, I prefer this version of Midgar to the original. But I understand that is a subjective experience. And I also understand trepidation. The uncertainty going forward. Hopefully it works out for you. And for me, if I'm being honest.

That is really good for us to acknowledge. Tx

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
HOWEVER, it should be acknowledged this mindset isn't entirely fair. Neither to the developers, nor ourselves. Imagine making games and telling stories for DECADES... but all anyone wants to hear about is that one story or game you made when you were more or less starting out.
The video game equivalent of “man, this band sucks now, they need to go back to their old sound” lol

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
I know why people are upset and worried, but I really feel like a lot of this discussion is putting the cart before the horse fo the sake of cynicism. I've said this before, but I feel like a lot of you are letting a few controversial choices towards the end completely overshadow everything they did right throughout the rest of the game, and imagining worst case scenarios for later just to perpetuate that negativity. There's also a lot of "what I wanted vs what they made" going on here, which I don't think is a fair way to engage with this sort of thing (Ite's gripes with misleading marketing aside.) I don't know, the new ending didn't feature the characters blabbering about destiny, the door to darkness, the heart of the cards or whatever, it was just them acting like people again. If that's what we can expect from the writing going forward, I really don't think it can be that bad. Hopefully Red XIII talks next game lol.
I agree with this fully. The game was a triumph of story telling in the eyes of virtually everyone except for what came near the end of the game. Even then, it seems to me that the devs were trying to create intrigue and mystery (for everyone, especially old players) to hype up the next parts and so decided to purposefully jarr us.

I think more of us would have appreciated this if they executed it a bit better, character wise. For example, even I admit that the characters didn’t react to things the same way I think I would. If they showed more confusion and frustration with the insanity around them, then we would have actually related to them. “This is not the reality and story I know, what the hell is going on?” Instead there were moments where characters were like “we can beat them!” (But why?) or quipping at the one who murderer her father and sliced her stomach. I think that was one legit problem with the ending fights, but if this was solved, then we would all be wondering what the mystery is all about, instead of complaining about the execution.

Top Bottom