• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake or Reboot of FFVII

Which would you prefer

• Remake

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Reboot

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Remake - Copy the original game as much as possible, the only real changes are graphics and sound fidelity.

Reboot - Mimic the original but the new director etc switches things up. Maybe this scene doesnt happen. Maybe this scene happens differently. Major plot points like Aeris dying stay intact, but the rest of the story is largely up for interpretation by whoever is in charge.

Personally I would prefer a reboot. The mythology and general flow of the game would stay intact, but it would feel much more fresh.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Neither. The teams working on modern Final Fantasy games are not competent enough not to do a grave disservice to the original game.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I vote for them to make new stuff; stop doing mobile shit, ports and the occasional remake; and maybe finish Versus XIII in the PS3's lifespan.

:monster:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Also what Tres said.

Also also even if we do allow for the (extremely remote) possibility that Square Enix can do a high-definition remake of one of its earlier games without completely missing everything that made the original game great, there are other games that would benefit much more from being remade than Final Fantasy VII, even despite the fact that it has plenty of flaws that could be corrected in a competent remake (let's be honest here, the possibility of Square Enix actually improving on its earlier products in a remake is even more remote than the possibility of Square Enix even equalling them). Seeing Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy IV in HD graphics with properly thought out battle systems would be glorious. An HD remake of Chrono Trigger also would have the potential to be one of the best things in gaming history.

SmokingWiid

Rookie Adventurer
Really I'd say neither as well, especially after considering what the company inadvertently(?) said about itself in its current state of quality production towards meeting its projected Final Fantasy VII standards capability. They basically say not happening!, which, to me, means that they are too afraid to touch on it as a full blown project. As they might mince it into oblivion is what they probably meant.

June 2012 said:
We will only consider this (remaking Final Fantasy VII) once a brand new (Square Enix's) game in the franchise exceeds the quality of that found in FF7.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Add to this, they believe refurbishing the game to what FFVII players truly want to see would prove to be a mammoth of a project, and so will simply refrain, stating that it is simply unrealistic to happen at this time.

Clearly they feel that they're not up to it.

In spite of all that, I would vote for a reboot with the same vision as Ghost X. Seeing if they worked on it from a clean slate, it personally wouldn't matter much to me with the thought that there would be something interesting to play (perhaps a different flavor to FFVII, or heck, anything would do if it's likely never to be done). I would adapt to it and try very hard to see the good facets of it, I guess (it greatly depends on how the individual player views it and perceives the game's overall execution, and whether the player decides to enjoy it based on what it bevels).

There is also the concern that if the title turns out to be a complete failure in the fan base's view, yet by some possible means becomes successful as a commercial project, it might poison the fan base with an overarching perception of all what was fancied in the original title and as a result cause a displacement of the original game's face in the eyes of how the game would be mutually presented and accepted in future child projects within its hierarchy. It would lead to catastrophic results for what it is supposed to be in the eyes of veteran players. This of course depends on what the company defines as a remake, reboot, et cetera (it'd be accompanied by an explanation by them). Er, just a thought.

I feel as if there is a conspiracy brewing.

At the end of the day, whatever works for the fan base. :monster:

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I was close to spearheading a movement when they were releasing the compilation, but now I find myself agreeing with people who explain why a remake isn't feasible.

I won't go as far as saying it's impossible or improbable, and could still happen, when developing for a 3D RPG is as easy and less resource-heavy as updating a sprite game.

I mean, people make strange arguments against it like "We can't have Cloud cross-dressing or Red XIII dressing up as a sailor, that's too weird in a 3D game!" even though that's a humor trope you see in games every day. All of that 4th wall stuff could relieve some of the seriousness in the FFs lately too.

At one point they probably had enough resources and FFX's engine to make a nice hallway game for the PS2, streamlining events and eliminating the daunting task of letting your airship go all over the place. 100% free-roam would never fit on a DVD, and as we've seen in XIII, blu-ray either. I have to ask myself what exactly is left to cover, unless one wants every NPC to have a voice-actor or something.

A PS2 remake would have been a nice interactive video to fill newcomers in during the Compilation's release, and some time later release an actual sequel for the PS3. But Square made a halfway deal with Sony to herald exclusives for the PS3, with half of those endeavors falling to the wayside. And so, here we are.

As I heard once on a podcast years ago, "They say they won't remake it, but at some point the technology and resources will line up. Then they'll just drop that shit down, and everybody will jump on it right there." Which is probably truth, but they're still at laughably low resources, and over-advertise themselves so much that whenever they announce anything, people really can't look forward to the prospect, or trust what they say.

So I'm like everybody else now. Just focus on new games please.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I know they'd fuck up a lot of stuff, and I don't think it'd better then the original, but I still want a remake to go through the FFVII storyline with full voiceacting, set in full on FFXIII level graphics. I mean, I think it'd still be worth my money more then the drivel they're coming up with now. (Versu doesn't count, it's never coming out)

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
If they did remake it, id want it tidied up beyond graphics and sound. Maybe an option to have the original shitty translation would be good for a laugh. I'd want the plot holes ironed out as much as possible.

I dont really want a remake as I dont trust them not to fuck it up. Crisis Core gave an indication of what theyd do and it was fucking bland as hell, I still dont get how they managed to give the slums 0 personality in 3D. Disappointing - and that was just the tip of the iceberg. I dont like reboots of anything, I just find them irritating. They muddy the water, this is why I avoid AU fanfiction :monster:

Waa wahh waaa

Lex

Administrator
Something I would love so much is to see FF7 re-done in the graphical style of Valkyria Chronicles. Nothing changed about gameplay (except movement through areas being in 3D of course). I just think the graphics of that game would fit in so well with the original character designs.

Example:
ValkyriaChronicles2-620x.jpg

It'll never happen in a million years of course. So I don't really want to see either option.

AvecAloes

Donator
In a perfect world, with a perfect Square Enix, I think I'd want a remake over a reboot. There's so much about the game that I wouldn't want changed completely. It's kind of iconic at this point, plus, if they were to reboot it, there lies a great chance that the compilation could become even more 'problematic', as far as whatever plot holes and discrepancies that already exist, as more would likely be created by a re-imagining of the OG. But as it is, I don't really trust them to do it well, and they've made it clear that they don't really trust themselves to do it well, either.

We were talking a little bit about this over the weekend - if they did do a remake, what do you think they'd do about Barret and Cid's foul language? Leave it vague and censored to retain a T rating, or just let loose, figuring that the fans of the OG are now well beyond being old enough to buy an M rated game? :P

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Cid and Barret's should be allowed to let loose with their foul language, it would be glorious. Also is never going to happen but I can dream.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I kinda of want a reboot because I kinda of want them to add some unused stuff from the early drafts.One thing I would like them to add is that maybe Sephiroth and Aerith did personally know each other.I kinda of like the idea that he would have actually bought flowers from her.They could also keep the fact that she was still dating Zack.I would have it that Zack suggested she sell flowers to buy money and then Zack recommoned Sephiroth buying some of her flowers to help her.Since it would be Sane Sephiroth I think it would do out of the respect for his friend and because secretly he actually would find it interesting that Zack's girlfriend actually did manage to grow flowers in Midgar.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I thought Cid was allowed to let loose in DoC. Something tells me I'm remembering that game wrong.

I'm also okay with an upgraded FFVII handheld port. Nothing crazy, just the sprites upgraded and some additional content like Persona 4 Golden.

I could never understand why they can release a billion different FFIV ports, but you have to choose only (1) handheld or HD remake of VII.

Lex

Administrator
Or they could put all the bad language at the end of sentences and do handy scene changes just at the right moment. I laugh every time that happens.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Or they could put all the bad language at the end of sentences and do handy scene changes just at the right moment. I laugh every time that happens.

Lets hope the moral guardians don't come down on the game for its profanity.

Another reason for a reboot is that we can delete out Genesis and keep Angeal in it.

AvecAloes

Donator
jazzflower92 said:
Another reason for a reboot is that we can delete out Genesis and keep Angeal in it.

That's pretty much why I don't want a reboot. I don't want them to mess with the compilation at all. It would only give people even more reason to complain about how "messy" it is.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
They have to introduce elements of the Compilation. Given its existence, they can't just remake a game they've changed the storyline to and keep it the same, otherwise it's a completely wasted effort. I already own FFVII. Better graphics is going to do nothing for me.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yeah, if it wasn't for the compilation theyd have a shot, but now theyd be obliged to include a load of the stupid shit they came up with. So yeah, the only way Id get a remake that came close to what I'd want is if I made it myself :lol:

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
There are just some things in the Compliation that need to be dropped in my opinion.And that is why I am for a reboot instead of a remake.A reboot would be more like an alternate continuity rather than the same universe.I also want Genesis to be out of the picture unless they make it so he degraded in the end and remained evil.

Top Bottom