• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Voice Actors Announced

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Doesn't mean Quinton can't do a serious, dark tone, either. Axel wasn't sympathetic in Chain of Memories and he had a cruel, dark tone in certain scenes of said game too. If Quinton can do that with Axel before the character turned sympathetic himself, then who's to say he can't do the same with Reno in the Remake? Besides, Axel IS strongly based on Reno.

Purple

Charmed
He’s great as Reno but that petition is just...childish and disrespectful to the new cast specially since they’re all so elated about landing the job. It’s not like SE would listen to this petition anyway.

I would love to have him back as Reno but it is what it is. People ought to move on. I can only hope the VAs for the supporting characters are as good as the ones we’ve heard so far

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Hoo boy. I’ve seen some divas in my day, but that’s unprofessional to the point of lunacy. How enormous does your ego have to be to think drafting that petition is the right course of action?

If you like the sound of your own voice so much, or you claim to ‘care about the fans’ (specifically, fans of you) then do a fan dub on YouTube and enjoy the precious Likes. At least then embarrassingly masturbatory “content” won’t be construed as an adult having a tantrum over not making the cut. It’s business, pal. Watch Black Swan, update your resume, and get a life.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Well, I do hope this doesn't cause Quinton Flynn to quit voice acting for Square Enix all together, otherwise Lea/Axel will end up having a replacement for his English voice in KH as well...which given the situation now, that's what most likely will happen. I love his voice and so far in his career as I heard him in, his roles as Reno and Lea/Axel are my favorites, and he did do a good job in FFX and FFX-2, and I am aware he voiced Mickey Mouse in a few episodes of "Mickey Mouse Works" and Timon in a few episodes of Timon and Pumbaa, but his role in FFVII Compilation titles and KH are the best.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
If he brings it onto himself, I have no pity if SE blacklists him.

Shitting on the new cast by pulling a stunt like this is undeserved, no matter who the VA in question is. There are plenty who can replace him as Reno and be better.

Justifying his behavior just cuz you like the voice isn't great either.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Hoo boy. I’ve seen some divas in my day, but that’s unprofessional to the point of lunacy. How enormous does your ego have to be to think drafting that petition is the right course of action?

If you like the sound of your own voice so much, or you claim to ‘care about the fans’ (specifically, fans of you) then do a fan dub on YouTube and enjoy the precious Likes. At least then embarrassingly masturbatory “content” won’t be construed as an adult having a tantrum over not making the cut. It’s business, pal. Watch Black Swan, update your resume, and get a life.

Voice actors have a bit of a history of this, especially the established ones. Year after year of cons full of adoring fans has built up their personal image. And then you end up going a bit beyond the pale with guys like Vic Mignona and just...hoo boy.

Flynn is in that category by most accounts.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
If he brings it onto himself, I have no pity if SE blacklists him.

Shitting on the new cast by pulling a stunt like this is undeserved, no matter who the VA in question is. There are plenty who can replace him as Reno and be better.

Justifying his behavior just cuz you like the voice isn't great either.

I'm sorry. I'm not saying what he's doing isn't childish, and I don't think he's doing this to be horrible to the newer voice actors, and it's not like he's asking Square Enix to just get rid of them and redo the entire voice acting with him and the rest of the Original voice cast, it's for DLC for fans who'd like to hear the the original voices in case they don't like the newer voices but it won't actually delete or erase newer voices. Maybe like...um...a two sides kind of thing; Like an alternate Ending only with voices with the same story.

Not that I'll be paying for a DLC like that, and it is a bit much. So I'm sorry if I'm a horrible person just for liking certain voice actors.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Voice actors have a bit of a history of this, especially the established ones. Year after year of cons full of adoring fans has built up their personal image. And then you end up going a bit beyond the pale with guys like Vic Mignona and just...hoo boy.

Flynn is in that category by most accounts.

How do you mean?

I'm sorry. I'm not saying what he's doing isn't childish, and I don't think he's doing this to be horrible to the newer voice actors, and it's not like he's asking Square Enix to just get rid of them and redo the entire voice acting with him and the rest of the Original voice cast, it's for DLC for fans who'd like to hear the the original voices in case they don't like the newer voices but it won't actually delete or erase newer voices. Maybe like...um...a two sides kind of thing; Like an alternate Ending only with voices with the same story.

Not that I'll be paying for a DLC like that, and it is a bit much. So I'm sorry if I'm a horrible person just for liking certain voice actors.

I didn't mind him as Reno either, but I'm not gonna give him a pass for shenanigans.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
How do you mean?
Chip's probably referring to the sexual harassment allegations against Vic Mignogna.

Said allegations has been around for years, but in the beginning of this year several other VAs who have worked with him basically called him out on it on Twitter, it picked up traction, Funimation dropped him and recasted his roles, RoosterTeeth also dropped him, and most cons have canceled his appearances, his fanbase is going balls out crazy defending him, and he's going to court to sue Funimation and his former coworkers for defamation.

...At least, I think that's what ChipNoir's referring to. To be honest, there's a lot of things I heard about Mignogna that Chip could be referring to, but the sexual harassment allegations is the most recent I recall happening.

About the petition: it's dumb, and I really doubt a change.org petition would change anything, really. Also, I noticed that they didn't put Aerith's VA on who they want to bring back, so...lol.

Last edited:

yearoftheghost

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
ghost/ravus
I'm pretty okay with them switching up the VA cast of the game for the remake. The entire project is about breathing new life into the story and honestly if I wasn't aware it was different voice actors for those I've heard so far, it'd take me a minute to notice myself.

As for Flynn and the petition, I can get why some fans would've created it (even if I don't agree and don't intend to sign), but Flynn sharing it doesn't look great from some perspectives. I hate the man already for different reasons, though. VERY bad experiences with him at a con I staffed a few years ago, so I'm kinda glad he's not Reno for my own personal reasons lol.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
I do have to admit that at first I wasn't too keen on the new VAs. I think a lot of it was because I was too used to the Advent Children VAs and I'm not one who generally likes change. However, once I heard about the previous VAs being used for roles outside of the remake, I was able to warm up to the new voices.

I personally don't see the petition as an insult to the new VAs, but more of a "Hey, SE, we still like these people!" type of thing. However, I understand what everyone else is getting at here. I agree that the petition is most likely not going to change anything. I do sympathize with the fans who are uncomfortable with this change because my introduction to Final Fantasy was Advent Children (which holds a special place in my heart along with the Compilation).

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I do have to admit that at first I wasn't too keen on the new VAs. I think a lot of it was because I was too used to the Advent Children VAs and I'm not one who generally likes change. However, once I heard about the previous VAs being used for roles outside of the remake, I was able to warm up to the new voices.

I personally don't see the petition as an insult to the new VAs, but more of a "Hey, SE, we still like these people!" type of thing. However, I understand what everyone else is getting at here. I agree that the petition is most likely not going to change anything. I do sympathize with the fans who are uncomfortable with this change because my introduction to Final Fantasy was Advent Children (which holds a special place in my heart along with the Compilation).

The flipside is there have been several VA strikes over the last decade without too much successful headway. While VA's are treated as equal to A class celebrities in Japan, in the U.S it's still viewed as a niche job and one where people are easily replaced, and not a whole lot of care is put into the work. While Funimation and other studios have their standard picks, they still seem to leverage their monopoly a bit to the point where VAs aren't happy about that treatment.

So it can be viewed as threatening to their careers to make a move like this where established career roles are just flushed away so easily, especially for a project that easily eclipses all past work as those characters.

Ite

AKA
Ite
@Chip well said. However, speaking for myself: all (except one) of my biggest pay checks have come from VA work — in comparison to Theatre, it’s very rewarding for (if I’m honest) easy work. No costumes, no rehearsals, just textwork and play. Having a character continue to a sequel or (in my case) get a video game spin-off is life-changingly good. Money-wise, it can be the difference between groceries and McD’s dollar menu (if your normal income is theatre lol). Not only that, acting is a passion, and the opportunity to reprise a role, get deeper into it, and explore new stories through that lens, it’s why I got into the biz to begin with. If I were in the position of any of the former VA’s of FF7 I would be choked beyond belief. Hell if were just the pay check alone... I mean, I’d be choked if I lost out on something dumb like “Barbie’s Dream Taxidermy School 3” simply because money’s tight for actors and I need recent stuff on my resume to stay relevant in the eyes of casting directors. I can only imagine the blow of losing FF7 after toiling away on ancillary media for a decade.

But, if I want to be respected in my field, I cant throw a tantrum or even lend my support to a petition like that. If you lost the gig, your friends and family ought to console you... not the public.

OneWingedAngel-90

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Strategist
I like the Most of the Voice actors right now as it is, it's just Sephiroth that sounds really bad right now to me. He seems so soft in his voice, not as evil as he should be.. bothers me. Wish they kept George and everything would be so good.

Also Quinton won't be voicing as Reno in the remake it seems, checked his twitter...

I'm Worried.. As a big fan of the FFVII saga..

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
The State of Play trailer had me worried about Sephiroth's voice, the E3 trailer made me feel a quite a bit better. I still think Geirge is better but I find I can't be too mad about him being voiced by another Superman. I'm very sold on Cloud and Barret's voices. The girls sound fine to me too. Heidegger seems like a straight reimagining so the voice is kinda moot. Perfectly happy to see Quinton Flynn gone tbh. He's voiced the teen heartthrob version of Reno, did it well, don't particularly expect this Reno to be all that similar.

Ite

AKA
Ite
There’s another thread about the VAs but I will say that my initial good feelings about Barret’s VA have somewhat faded. I’ll have to play the game to make up my mind, since most of what I’ve heard is from battle sequences, where characters are bellowing... but Barret seems a bit... much. It’s drawing some deserved criticism, but again, we’ve only heard a small fraction of his dialogue, and most of it has been battle cries.

OneWingedAngel-90

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Strategist
Agree with you, have a bit of that impression as well. Guess we have to see when we get our final product.

Just wish we had something to say to SE about what we feel, It is a Huge game that we are talking about here.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sephiroth is alright. Thankfully he's not Lance Bass levels of fail and cringe but I need to hear more. It's acceptable overall. Sephy's new voice actor is the voice I've heard so far that makes me regret the change over the most. Hopefully he will sound better in other lines I've heard.

Everyone else sounds awesome though.

Reactions: Ite

ForceStealer

Double Growth
As I've said from the beginning, Barret is who I'm most bummed about changing, because Billingslea would have done great with Barret's meatier material in the main game. And I dunno about this voice.

I did like Newbern as Sephiroth, and so far the new voice sounds the most like he's trying to impersonate the old voice. And so I don't really understand the change...but yeah, I dunno, hard to make a call at this stage.

(I can't see a reason for this not being other VA thread though, I'll probably merge).

OneWingedAngel-90

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Strategist

Interesting that Quinton Flynn is advertising this petition.

Saw that too! I Signed for that.. Wouldn't want anything else.
George makes Sephiroth great to me, It's nice of Quinton to backing them up. They seem to stand for what we actually want. Back in 2015 these were the VA's that i dreamed about. But! the only change that i would accept atm is Sephiroth, I believe that George should make a return.
That would make the game better for me. Operation Suzaku were the ones that made Type-0 localized, is this the same group?

Going to investigate on this.

Top Bottom