Report Bugs

Lex

Administrator
I got a 504 error this morning at around 09:00 UK time, couldn't get on for half an hour or so.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Just had a thing. Website is offline 502 bad gateway.

And then it says. Ray ID: 2aed1c98d7ae3452 . 2016-06-06 16:06:29 UTC

Dunno what that means.

I had this about an hour ago for.... 15 minutes or so.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Daaaaaad...er I mean Yoooop, the internets not working!?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's probably that Cloudflare thing again. I've removed it, should go back to normal once the nameserver change has propagated over the interwebz~

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm just gonna throw an update in here while Yop is haxxing away:

Changing shit in CloudFlare has left weird impactz on our DNS. The site might not respond (give CouldFlare screen, 502 Bad Gateway etc) until the situation has stabilized. We apologize for the inconvenience etc :monster:

Huzzah, after 24 hours of not getting my TLS fix it finally works for me again! This has reminded me of how seriously addicted I am to this site and its lovely people.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Sorry I fucked up guys, I just changed the nameservers not realizing what impact it might have (I just assumed it'd flip over to the new nameservers without a problem). If I try it again at least I'll reduce the TTL of the dns records to something low.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I know, we removed it from the postbit because it used an online status checker that was borken forever. I can remove it from the online list too (iirc it's on there too). Where else was it?

Airling

Ninja-Fairy-Jedi-Princess
I'm noticing some weirdness on my post formatting. It's not automatically Verdana like it should be. I can manually do it in advanced editing, but that's meh and it has retro-actively b0rked it, naturally.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm seeing (or, not seeing, hue) the youtube stuff too; looking at how the youtube thing works, it looks like it's trying to load a flash object from youtube. Google did announce recently they were going to deprecate Flash completely though, so, I'm going to try and update the youtube bbcode to use the official embedding method (via an iframe).

edit: this version should work faster, too; after a chrome update some time ago, all Flash embeds (which is what the old youtube tag did - I'm sorry - needed a separate 'play' button in order to activate. This one uses whatever youtube is giving us, so, html5 video embeds if / when available.

@Airling, I'm not sure why the post font thing isn't working for you, er. Maybe someone else that has a clue could look into that?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I dunno if this is a bug report per se, but I noticed that my old weekly roundup template page was publicly visible. I found it when searching for something on the front page. I know I'm not staff any more but apparently nobody reduced my Wordpress permissions, so I went in and changed it to private. I think that means that only editors and administrators can see it now, but I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, we don't write roundups these days, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm actually working on an article now which TLS may or may not want to publish, so I'd like to stay as an author - if that's alright with everyone, of course - but I probably shouldn't have editing access any more.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Are staff members the only people allowed to have transparency in their avatars? I was fiddling with mine and couldn't get it to work, even when I went back to my previous one. Also, whenever I try to enter an URL for my avatar, it says it's invalid.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The avatar system is er... finnicky. I think underwater vB will try to use an image manipulation library to fiddle with shit, might be that doesn't deal with transparency correctly. Anyone should be able to use images with transparency though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
All right so uh, apparently forum registration has been b0rked for like two months.

It turns out that the image verification (reCaptcha) didn't work anymore, the server couldn't connect to the reCaptcha service to verify whether the user filled in the correct captcha challenge. (a php plugin, php5_curl was apparently missing). I'm not sure what changed early august when the last user signed up, but apparently, something somewhere borked.

I'm the worst admin ever :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
But on the plus side, we haven't had any new spambots :monster:

Fangu

Great Old One
Ohey, you finally looked into it, that only took a month from first notice :wacky:

Err, I mean, good jerb :monster:

Edit: Also, the fault is mine too. I should have investigated this when I first became suspicious.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
But on the plus side, we haven't had any new spambots :monster:

Yet. :monster:

Ohey, you finally looked into it, that only took a month from first notice :wacky:

Err, I mean, good jerb :monster:

Edit: Also, the fault is mine too. I should have investigated this when I first became suspicious.

I guess the thing with the same user being the latest for as long was just a "Well that's strange", not a "WAIT SHIT SOMETHING'S WRONG!". The lack of regression tests on here are also somewhat of an issue I guess :monster:

Actually, now that I think about it, why don't more self-hosted web applications like vB have some kinda self health-check? I mean the self-hosted webapp is pretty much dead nowadays in favor of SaaS services, but still.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Force left me a visitor message earlier after noticing incorrect behaviour in our Lightbox plugin - images are showing in the wrong order, and the post's featured image is being added to the gallery when it should not be.

I've never managed to get it working properly myself, and recently (well, for at least a year, I guess) I haven't been able to use the "add media" button in Wordpress in Chrome or Firefox. Since I have access to the test server, I tried deactivating the Lightbox plugin and installing a different one, and what do you know, it fixed both problems. I don't have permission to do that on the production server though, hence this post. Please fix!

Fangu

Great Old One
I thought we decided to stop using the lightbox plugin in the last redesign because it didn't work well with Twenty Twelve, but I could be remembering this wrongly. Now that there's a fix and all tho it's all fine and dandy.

If someone doesn't get to it before me I'll have a look at it in a few hours.

Is this new plugin supported and active and stuff?

(Also "please fix", we're not a Service Desk gtfo :wacky:)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
:monster:

Yeah, the one I linked was updated a couple of days ago and is compatible with the latest version of Wordpress (which we're not using, except on the test site, but we will soon), yada yada.

Fangu

Great Old One
Err, I don't have the password for the FTP user used for updates, and I'm not sure my FTP user has the necessary privileges (or if it even still exists). So I'm stuck for now.

I've activated the old plugin again.

Top Bottom