• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
I don't emulate -- at least, not in the shady sense. I don't want to get into trouble just for trying to play a game that I can't conveniently buy, sigh. This means that I still haven't played stuff like Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Mother 3, as none of them are available in Europe, ugh.

Whilst this is not legal advice, I do believe that emulation is perfectly fine and legal. The only people that can get into trouble are the developers of emulators if they break patents and providing they don’t do that then they are fine too.

The legal problem comes with downloading games that you don’t own. This is where it gets tricky.

If you download a ROM and do not own the game, that isn’t obviously copyright theft.

If you own the disk and play from disk, you are totally fine.

If you own the disk and package it up as a ROM for play, you are also fine because this is a fair use.

If you download a ROM from the internet, but also own the disk then the general belief is that this would constitute a fair use. It has never been tried in court, but the general expectation is that the publisher would lose.

Footnote:
This is not legal advice

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Whilst this is not legal advice, I do believe that emulation is perfectly fine and legal. The only people that can get into trouble are the developers of emulators if they break patents and providing they don’t do that then they are fine too.
I seem to recall Hyperkin getting in legal hot water over that exact situation when they launched the Retron 5 clone console.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Today’s the last day to access the PSP store. I’ve been trying to change my internet encryption so I’m actually able to access it, but to no avail. It’s a shame just a whole chunk of the original experience will be gone.

I wonder if it’s theoretically possible to have a homebrew shop running for the future’s sake.

Top Bottom