• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Update 2: April 19, 2021: Sony will keep PS3 & Vita Store in operation.

UPDATE: March 29, 2021: confirmed

---------------

Sources from thegamer.com.

The stores are due to be closed down from July. The announcement is planned for the end of this month.

PSP’s and PS3’s stores are to be closed on July 2, while the PS Vita store will stay open until August 27. After those dates, you will no longer be able to purchase digital copies of games or DLC for any of the Sony consoles mentioned above.

------------

Many games and DLCs will soon be lost to history, sad day to come.

Last edited:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I wonder will this lead to a big push in getting titles from these platforms onto PlayStation Now.

I'm loathe to pay a subscription to play old games I already own but I'd take it over losing them entirely once my old consoles tank.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Way to go Sony.

I was trusting you so much more than Nintendo.

In the end, you fucked up too.

It's not like it's these consoles are that old either. They just want to move on from storing the customer and game data so they can push you off old gen hardware. This is pretty fucking scummy.

And what about the Cloud Save Data I pay for? They gonna get rid of that too?

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
will this also apply to updates and patches? there are some games that were improved by patches (bayonetta) if not massively salvaged (zone of the enders 2). sometimes these made it to physical media (bayonetta got a lower priced rerelease in japan with the patch on disc iirc) and many games are ported to modern platforms (bayonetta and zoe 2 are both on the ps4 now), but that’s not every title.

this also means all the ps1/ps2 games archive titles aren’t playable on modern consoles. i assumed they were self-contained emulators but you’re telling me you can’t get that to work on a ps4 or ps5. you’re talking shite, mate. you have this big catalog of titles just like nintendo but even they give you a meagre amount with their online service.

will the download list still be available. or will i have to go through that horrible interface and download as much as i can

you’ve made an enemy of me today, sony. i am going to now emulate that dreamcast game where you have to defeat an evil sony stand-in in the console market

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
While you can experience the “black label” FF7 on the (limited edition) PS Classic console, the original versions of FFT, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, and FFXII are simply not available post-PS3. While I appreciate some of the qol improvements of the remasters, and the Moguri Mod more than makes up for mobile-port-FF9’s ugly battle UI, I still lament the loss. My discs are scratched.

Nothing lasts, friends. <3

Funnily enough, my PS2 still works and I lent it and FFXII to my bro before lockdown hit. He’s playing it right now for the first time, and thinks a job system would kill his fun. I wouldn’t go that far but I think both versions have their appeal — same with Tactics vs. WotL, as I’ve yammered on about elsewhere. I’m particularly gutted about the Ivalice games and FFVIII.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
While you can experience the “black label” FF7 on the (limited edition) PS Classic console, the original versions of FFT, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, and FFXII are simply not available post-PS3. While I appreciate some of the qol improvements of the remasters, and the Moguri Mod more than makes up for mobile-port-FF9’s ugly battle UI, I still lament the loss.

I agree with this, but fortunately all my discs are in good shape :monster:
But I would give someone playing FF7 the first time at my house the PS3 first just because I don't like most of the dialogue changes from the PC version, to say nothing of the PC/PS4s terrible music cue fuckups.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Wait, is the PSP store actually still up? That’s honestly surprising. Maybe I’m just used to the big N taking down services after the generation’s over. But honestly, I don’t know how we expect these services to keep on going forever, as sad as it always is. Unironically, what should a reasonable expectation be? The PS3 is going to be sixteen years old this year.

I’m constantly putting new games on my PSP without even using the store because its security is basically a glorified flash drive. So I think the PS3 and Vita will be affected more than the PSP in that regard…

Really hope people can archive everything before they go down. Now I gotta make sure I have every PS3 game I could ever want before they take it down.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
PSP's store has been up. That's what made it awesome.

The storefronts should be kept up as long as they're in business.

As long as Sony wants to take our money, charge for their content and hold it hostage there. It's not like those games are free or anywhere else.

Hell, I bought the DLC and other cosmetics for Drakengard 3, like 3 months ago. Why? Because I bought the game and wanted to play it.

They aren't hurting so bad for money that they can't leave the storefront up as a digital back up or something for people to access what they paid for. Again, if they want to make the argument that "digital is the future" then either commit to that promise, or be honest and say it's just a means to erode ownership rights and continuously sell us back the same games we've bought over and over and over again.

They make billions of dollars selling data to players and if they can't keep the lights on for it, then maybe they shouldn't have tried to push away from physical media at the expense of consumer longevity and security of product.
At least Nintendo's honest when they fuck you over so you can get over it and pirate their shit. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Was gonna say this back in the PS5 thread, but it's worth mentioning here.

Willing to bet 10 bucks that in a couple years, Sony discontinues the physical disc drive versions of the PS5 and proceeds to only sell digital-only consoles to "keep up with demand" and "lower costs."

They're going to pull the same shit they did with the PS3. And if you didn't get on the train at the start, you'll be fucked out of a console that plays both generation of games. This is how they work. They aren't as aggressive as Nintendo but that's only to lull you into a false sense of security. They're playing the same game.

Top Bottom