• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

ForceStealer

Double Growth
My fat PS3 did succumb to the YLOD back in....2012 or 13 or something. And I still have that hard drive with a Xenogears save file on it because PS3s encrypt the hard drive to each specific console for some stupid fuckin reason :rage:

But the slim still plays PS1 discs fine and my PS2 still works, so other than those save files, I'm less worried about stuff than purely digital PS3 releases.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Reminds me of when my friend took apart his PS3 in college and spent hours putting it back together…
If you know what you’re doing, it seems like it’s not too bad, though.

Also, imagine owning a digital PS5. In like 15 years you’re gonna be absolutely ruined, since it takes no physical media at all. That’s a pretty bad precedent - Mako has a great point there.

But it’s still pretty bad for the seventh gen consoles, honestly, since they were the first that were heavily built around online features…

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The PS2 is starting to give SNES a run for its money as the tankiest console ever made. The second hand SNES I had lived 23 years, all told, and my PS2 is pushing 20 and going strong. I wasn’t particularly precious or clean with either of them.

My Genesis that I got in '94 is still kickin' too. *knocks on desk*

A year or two ago my college roommates informed me that they broke my PS2 one weekend that I was gone and they replaced it without telling me? I can't quite tell if they were just messing with me though, because I don't understand where the second PS2 came from, but I haven't cornered one of them yet for long enough to determine what happened.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
My Genesis that I got in '94 is still kickin' too. *knocks on desk*

A year or two ago my college roommates informed me that they broke my PS2 one weekend that I was gone and they replaced it without telling me? I can't quite tell if they were just messing with me though, because I don't understand where the second PS2 came from, but I haven't cornered one of them yet for long enough to determine what happened.
I have an NES that I got in 1990 right after I finished Kindergarten, and it still works. My SNES that I got on Christmas Day 1994 still works as well. I can't wait to test both of them out on the upcoming Retrotink 5x.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
So, wait. A second PS2 just popped up? Does your original still work?

As far as console reliability, I’ve found that my PS1 and SNES are still solid. The console I’ve had the worst luck with is the GameCube. Even though that thing is also built like a tank, the disc reader failed on both of the GCNs I own.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
The only console of mine that really had issues was the fat PS3. It was the YLOD, and I had it happen 3 times, spending roughly $300 combined in the process. I finally bought a slim one used about a year and a half ago, put a 500GB hard drive in it, and transferred all my data to the slim one.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash

As far as console reliability, I’ve found that my PS1 and SNES are still solid. The console I’ve had the worst luck with is the GameCube. Even though that thing is also built like a tank, the disc reader failed on both of the GCNs I own.
These days, there are mods for disc drive emulators for certain consoles, and the GameCube is one of them. In that particular case, the emulator is called the GCLoader.

ForceStealer

Double Growth

Apparently not? But I dunno where they got a second one, I find it hard to believe they went and bought a used one. But, whatever it is, it works :shrug:

As for failed consoles, that YLOD'd fat PS3 is the only one for me. And yeah I could never even get it running long enough to get my damn PS1/2 save files off of it. So annoying that a PS3 can't read another PS3's hard drive.
My PS4 disc drive has started freaking out lately. (Frantically trying to eject when nothing's in it and I'm nowhere near it.)

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
These days, there are mods for disc drive emulators for certain consoles, and the GameCube is one of them. In that particular case, the emulator is called the GCLoader.
That does work out, thanks for the heads up! They’re loaded through the memory card or something like that? Pretty interesting.

By the way, now that we all are on a strict time limit, does anyone have any digital purchase / DLC recommendations before the stores shut down?

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
That does work out, thanks for the heads up! They’re loaded through the memory card or something like that? Pretty interesting.

By the way, now that we all are on a strict time limit, does anyone have any digital purchase / DLC recommendations before the stores shut down?
Typically, these disc drive emulators will load from a microSD card. As far as I know, there are some on the market for the aforementioned GameCube, Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS1 (in the case of PS1, certain models of the console aren't compatible).

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
This sucks. Going to wait until I hear more info before I formulate a plan. If we can still download previously purchased games after the store closes, then yeah I'm going to load up on what I can. But if we can't download games at all, then I don't see the point. My PS3 will wear out someday, best to use that money to build a PC for emulation purposes instead.

For me, what hurts the most is losing easy access to the entire Shin Megami Tensei PS2 catalog. That's 7 amazing games for only $10 each. I always knew it was too good to be true.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Hell, I bought the DLC and other cosmetics for Drakengard 3, like 3 months ago. Why? Because I bought the game and wanted to play it.
now i am thinking of games like that which i don’t own but would like to play at some point

i am being pushed to the edge by video games. there’s a quote from jack ryan or whatever his name is at sony talking about a gran turismo event where they had games from each generation and said the ps1 and 2 games looked ancient and who would want to play those.

me, i would like to play those. maybe not those specifically but i still go back to old games or try ones i never played before

this makes me want to buy up multiple versions of old consoles (and ps4 and 5) and just put some in storage where they’re safe and preserved

i am going to kick a sony exec right in the groin for this, absolutely fuming on a tuesday morning

ForceStealer

Double Growth
https://kotaku.com/so-called-pirates-are-doing-the-work-when-publishers-fa-1846533244

hlUkLVX.gif

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
It never ceases to amaze me how the film and music industries, which have existed for decades longer than the gaming industry, have managed to do a much better job at preserving their works of art and the gaming industry somehow lets that go in one ear and out the other. And since Sony has had a lengthy history in all 3, that company more than any other should fucking know better!

Top Bottom