• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Resident Evil Series

kunoichi

dead
Re: Resident Evil 5

I haven't had the chance to look al this yet. What did you think was so underwhelming?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Well, it's basically the same old but worse. It's not really a bad game but it's definitely not awesome.
First of all, the controls are still very much outdated. The characters still feel like cars when controlling them. :monster:
You still can't move or dodge properly when engaged in a fight. You still have to hold down a button to run (which is 95% of the time) instead of just using the analog stick to control whether you wanna walk or run.
Aiming doesn't feel very precise. I wish I could use my Wiimote D=

Lots of recycled animations from RE4. It feels too much the same.
Menu doesn't pause the game, it's all in real-time. They probably wanna make it more realistic and increase the panic factor but I found it to be rather annoying. =/

And the worst thing of all:
Sheva. Damn her to hell. The whole game she'll be there and ironically, you'll have to babysit that chick more than you ever had to babysit Ashley. At least she knew to stay the fuck away from enemies and you could tell her to fuck off to some corner and be quiet while you were playing John Rambo and fucked up half of Spain's population.

Not with this chick. "OHLOLZ, I can heff gunz, so Im moar bettar rite?"

No.

She is an annoying pest who'll only mess up your performance and cry for help or ask you for ammo when you just can't be arsed to do so because four or five angry Africans are chopping your dick in half and you somehow need to get away from them.

Like just now, I had this chainsaw thing coming after me along with some other enemies and I just wanted to get away and get some distance between them and myself so I could shoot away from a safe position. Chocolate-Jill didn't think so and got killed of course. :monster:

Naturally, it's Game Over for you if she dies.

Also, she stole ammo that I wanted to pick up a couple of times even though she had more than I did. >_>

So yeah, she's my main gripe about the thing. Sure it'll be a lot of fun playing co-op with a human player but she'll get really annoying in single player.
God, I fucking hate games that force you to co-operate with some dumbshit AI character. =/

On a more positive note, there's finally a quick change option for up to four items. Considering that the menu doesn't pause the game though this is really a necessity then simply a choice out of convenience.

P.S.: Dacon, get your ass in here.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer

I'll be honest and say I'm not anticipating much from this game in the slightest. It just seems to be rehashing a lot of plot, character and gameplay elements from RE4 in a very very uncreative way. Like putting a different skin on a very familiar structure.

you'll have to babysit that chick more than you ever had to babysit Ashley.
And this killed any anticipation I might have once had.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

Lol I was going to make this thread.

Dead Space killed the controls in this game for me. Re5, your character handles like a fucking fighter jet, not a human.

You're still stuck in closed in environments without the ability to move while attacking, it's frustrating as hell.

I call bullshit on anyone who says Re is defined by limited controls, or that it's not an action game, because that's what it is now. It should have decent controls by now.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Kojima was interviewed not too long ago and said this:

Kojima also points out that the hi-definition era has changed the rules of game design itself. "Game design up to now has been about making rules," he notes. "It was like a card game; there were lots of things that weren't possible and had to be cut. With hi-def, the more real it gets, the less instruction you need to give, so preoccupying yourself with making rules seems silly. Western developers have realized this, but Japanese ones are still preoccupied with making these rules."

Looking at titles like Dirge of Cerberus and Resident Evil 5, I think the man is right. Too many "rules" and restrictions in those sorts of games.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

He is right. They're too focused on building these closed in systems that their games revolve around.

That's true about most games though, but japanese development seems to take it waaaaaaaay too far.

At this point I'm only playing for the story, and to see if Capcom has the balls to kill off Wesker.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

I doubt they will.
If they do, I'll give them credit for surprising me.
I just don't want him to turn into some huge blobby and slow monster for the final fight or something like that.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=451.msg14430#msg14430 date=1233768848]
I doubt they will.
If they do, I'll give them credit for surprising me.
I just don't want him to turn into some huge blobby and slow monster for the final fight.
[/quote]

I don't want him to mutate period. He's bad enough as is.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man

He doesn't deserve mutation. And thanks for warning me, I'm calling my uncle to play as Chris and I sheva when we play through RE5.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA

Wesker's just a poorly voiced, overrated douche.

Really.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA

I think RE4's voice and RE5 is pretty decent compared to the first game.

"THERE IS SERUM"

Alex

alex is dead
AKA

The voice actor is still pretty poor.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA

You've got a point to an extent, cos I can't tell if it was a british or american accent being used by Wesker..

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Wesker is already a fracking Terminator, Agent Smith, nightcrawler hybrid ffs. If he gets anymore overpowered, I'm going to freak out.

And fuuuuuuuuuuuuck section where one person carries a flashlight in a pitch black cave while the other protects them confirmed.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA

Oh jesus christ can't they just give flashlights to BOTH? or attach them to pistols or some shit???

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

[quote author=Dacon link=topic=451.msg14949#msg14949 date=1233879506]
Wesker is already a fracking Terminator, Agent Smith, nightcrawler hybrid ffs. If he gets anymore overpowered, I'm going to freak out.

And fuuuuuuuuuuuuck section where one person carries a flashlight in a pitch black cave while the other protects them confirmed.
[/quote]

DO NOT WANT.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Yeah, I'm gonna be playing with my brother, so shouldn't be that frustrating, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

It reminds of that shitty section in Gears of War where one person had to drive the vehicle while the other manned the light fixture on top, but you could only do one at a time.

Fucking frustrating as hell.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

I too am hoping Wesker will finally get what he deserves. It seems all of it has been building up to the final showdown with Wesker and Chris, so for them to crap out and not have it finally lead to anything will be sorely disappointing. This shouldn't be a repeat of their confrontation in Code Veronica.

I'm also kinda disheartened by the way Tets describes the gameplay thus far. Particularly Sheva. I was hoping she'd be a lot smarter than that. Maybe they can still tweak her and fix it, so she won't be a hindrance anymore. Because that would seriously grate my nerves.

But hey, this is a demo so things can change for the better. It's not done yet.

And that scenario actually sounds cool. I like difficult, challenging scenarios like that. Kinda reminds me of something out of Silent Hill. One person spotting the light while the other fights sounds like fun.

I do hope this RE game will have more things that will try to scare the hell out of you like the old RE games did. I like the action direction they're taking it but damnit, I don't want them to just abandon their roots either.

RE4 was more gory and shocking than actually fear inducing. I liked the claustrophobic fear that RE1 and 2 could induce, while you tried to survive against hordes of undead.

I mean, playing as a badass Leon and Chris is fun, but that shouldn't be the entirety of the game either. There should be a challenge and fear regarding the shit going on.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Dense mako is dense.

The reason we don't like the scenario is the shit controls and partner AI.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA

I think the setting is scary enough, what with the locals hiding in the houses too and their ability to tear the fucking thing down if they come in groups! NO PLACE IS SAFE!

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

ReHorror said:
Here are a few details (minor spoilers included):

- GamePro could only make their own screenshots of the first three chapters. The later ones, they had to use Capcom's images due to an embargo

- It is all about the Progenitor virus

- Resident Evil 5 changes locations more often than Resident Evil 4 and the pace moves on immensly, especially after the first 10 minutes.

- The game is about 18 hours long.

- There's no location that is as big as the castle area in Resident Evil 4.

- The game is divided in 6 big chapters, each of them again divided into 3-4 areas.

- After the refinery, the game goes more for darkness (pyramids)

- GamePro counted 1 (!!!) real puzzle in Resident Evil 5.

- The emphasis is clearly on Co-Op. When a character is investigating something alone it usually deals with finding a key or moving something. GamePro says that these are the most intriguing situations as you wish your partner would be with you and help you fight the hordes of enemies.

- A few classic enemies are indeed in Resident Evil 5 (like the Licker)

- GamePro found the fights with Wesker very cool. They are absolutely dramatic and stunning.

- The visuals and audio are top notch.

- The PS3 version suffers a few glitches here and there, but they are not heavy.

- Resident Evil is gone, long live Resident Evil.

- They describe the game as an extremely entertaining, quick Tour de France with less horror.

- The overall review score is 93% for both PS3 and Xbox360 versions. Added to the PS3 graphics score was a note that the PS3 version suffers minor issues. GamePro's usual, separate multiplayer score for the game is 10/10.

- After completion of the game graphic filters, unlimited ammo, alternate costumes and an "arcade mode" among other things become available.

PS: I love how GamePro made it very clear that this is not Survival Horror, instead labeled it "Terror-Action-Game" or just "Action-Game"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxGXwJFkw0#noexternalembed

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Well my liking the scenario is entirely contingent on the A.I. being good. My statement was only about the actual scenario being a good one. Of course it'll suck if the A.I. sucks, fucker. :P

Well, RE5's concept is a scary one but usually it plays out more like an action film rather than something horrific. I mean, it's hard to be really scared of the enemy when the character you're controlling is a seasoned, experienced, and badass survivor of Raccoon City. He doesn't act scared, and he seems completely able to understand the events around him.

Same with Leon in RE4. The Ganados were more amusing and hilarious to me than scary. One of the few parts that freaked me out was when I saw their heads pop off and the Las Plagas took their place for the first time. That was freaky.

Oh. And Regenerators. The theme and...appearance of them definitely creeped the shit out of me. I liked that part of the game a lot.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Okay, I'm sorely disappointed at there only being one puzzle in this game. Again, puzzles were fun because they exercised your brain and definitely made the experience more engrossing and challenging. That's sad to go.

However, I do like the pacing and location changes they talked about. The praise sounds great, but...

What the hell does, "Resident Evil is gone, long live Resident Evil" mean?

Meh, I'm very disappointed in the lack of it being survival horror. They need to one day go back to their roots and make another survival horror game. *Sighs* But that's just the old school RE fan in me talking.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA

"
- Resident Evil is gone, long live Resident Evil. " ??

last of the series??

Top Bottom