Scarlett Johansson signs on to star in Dreamworks' 'Ghost in the Shell'

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
https://variety.com/2015/film/news/...orks-ghost-in-the-shell-exclusive-1201320788/

Following the success of “Lucy,” Scarlett Johansson looks ready to take on another action pic, this one coming from the world of Japanese anime.

Johansson is set to star in DreamWorks’ adaptation of the popular anime pic “Ghost in the Shell.” Deadline Hollywood had reported that the actress had the offer to star but at the time she was still undecided about taking the role. Sources now say she has agreed to star in the pic.

The story follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime.

Rupert Sanders is on board to direct. Avi Arad and Steven Paul are producing the film from a script by Bill Wheeler. Mark Sourian is exec producing.

Insiders also tell Variety that Paramount has the option to come on as co-producer and financier and that decision is expected in the coming weeks.

DreamWorks principal Steven Spielberg is a huge fan of the original and has long wanted to get this film off the ground. A commitment from a star like Johansson should help in getting the pic greenlit for production.

Besides Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Lawrence, Johansson is becoming one of the few actresses in town with the clout to get a project greenlit on her name alone.

“Lucy” made $394 million worldwide and Johansson can be seen next in “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” bowing in May. Johansson has also done a nice job of balancing action-heavy tentpoles with serious dramas and comedies.

She received rave reviews for Spike Jonze’s “Her” and is a part of the ensemble of the Coen brothers’ next pic “Hail, Caesar!” She is repped by CAA and LBI Entertainment.

apparently there were no japanese women available in the world to play mokoto

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
do you want me to fix it? you might be able to fix it yourself too; i think if you edit within a short amount of time (an hour maybe? possibly a day?) you can edit your own thread titles

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
When you sing upon a star.......something something...sodastream something something Palestine....you geeeet a bigggg load of moneyyyy :lol:

Keep the typo. I likes it.

I don't likes Scarlet Johannson though so I shan't be watching this. I mean, I'm not too fussed that it's not a Japanese actress because manga characters never look like Japanese people anyway (though I can see why people would be bothered by that) But Scarlet I can't be bothered to spell her last name is not someone I would associate with Motoko.

Is it gonna be live action or CGI? If its the former then it sucks Elephant dick, the latter ehhh It will probably only fellate a small horse.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I don't likes Scarlet Johannson though so I shan't be watching this. I mean, I'm not too fussed that it's not a Japanese actress because manga characters never look like Japanese people anyway (though I can see why people would be bothered by that) But Scarlet I can't be bothered to spell her last name is not someone I would associate with Motoko.
i think in some cases manga character = japanese feels out of place (like casting a japanese guy as l in death note, and i don't know what the hell is going to happen with attack on titans live action), though i'm not sure about ghost in the shell because the characters are seemingly all japanese with japanese names. mokoto is a cyborg so i guess she could have a robot face based on a white person.

but at the same time it kind of feels like you just wanted to cast a famous white person instead of looking for someone who isn't white (like all the biblical films recently where all these people in the middle east and africa are white as a sheet). probably because then you can go 'look at this famous white person, you know them, go see this movie starring famous white person'

i am kind of reminded (though idk by what since no one has said anything) of something say when defending stuff like why 99% of disney princess are white or something, which is like 'it doesn't matter what race they are because people can still relate to them why are you being the true racist all noticing race'. which is an argument that gets brought up mainly to defend everyone being white.

and might not even apply here, i should stop forgetting to take medicine for weeks until i take them again and get side effects

i have been rewatching the film and starting to read the manga and will be watching the tv series at some point so this was timely news for me :sadpanda:

Is it gonna be live action or CGI? If its the former then it sucks Elephant dick, the latter ehhh It will probably only fellate a small horse.
it sounds like it's live action? i don't get why they would make a big deal of scarlett johansson's action skills if she is just doing a voice

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I thought they might be doing a mocap type thingymagjig.

But yeah, it sounds fucking stupid like 'oh we want to do a scifi action film but we need a big name star because NOBODY LIKES SCIFI ACTION DO THEY?'

But that's hollywood for you. And why does Speilberg have to struggle to get anything greenlit in the first place? I thought he was Speilberg, not El Spielbergo?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
pssst it's 'motoko'

Also I have no problems with ScarJo herself, but this really irks me because ffs film studios get your heads out from her ass and do some actual casting. While the actress wouldn't NECESSARILY have to be Japanese. not casting an at least vaguely asian woman as THE MOST BADASS FUCKING COP EVER (and the greatest female character ever created after The Boss [or possibly better than The Boss, idfk]) is a better idea than just going with what you know.

In other words, if you're not going to put forth the effort for casting, why should anyone watch a movie that probably didn't have any effort put into its writing/direction/etc?

Disney princesses I can take with a grain of salt (I mean, let's be real, Walt Disney was a fucking racist), because they're each indigenous to a specific region and there is a fair amount of accuracy as regards racial representation within their time period and region constraints (like no black people in Frozen - can't believe people griped about that). In fact, every single non-white Disney princess has been created since 1990, and make up what, a solid third of their ENTIRE total which spans like 60 years? C'mon.

tldr I don't like representation for the sake of representation but I also don't like lazy fucking casting work

I mean fuck the two female lead characters from Chocolate would be fucking perfect for this (or jamie chung if she NEVER SMILED because motoko isn't big on smiling)

edit: like who the fuck is gonna play batou, channing tatum, with the kid that plays rickon stark as a tachikoma?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
yeah I'm double posting and I DON'T CARE

I'm a really big GitS fan and I am gonna be sooooooooo pissed if they fuck this up

like more than I hated the Harry Potter movies AND The Hobbit movies COMBINED

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
edit: like who the fuck is gonna play batou, channing tatum, with the kid that plays rickon stark as a tachikoma?
andy dick for aramaki

the first guy who walks in the door for togusa

the barista at the local starbucks as ishikawa because he has a beard too

special guest star: this sheet of a4 paper the casting director had on his desk as the puppet master because it's pretty white

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So, at first glance - the casting annoys me for the aforementioned reasons, but there is a golden shiny wire of hope for me in it.

I watch GitS dubbed (like a heathen), because I like to be able to pay VERY close attention to all of the split-second visual cues as well as the complexities of what's being discussed, and the English VA cast does a really good job of it. (I've watched all of SAC & 2nd GIG like... 5 times, and still always catch new things from it). The first thing that I was thinking was of the long, complex scenes of philosophical dialogue layered with the sort of strong female character that Motoko is, and I kinda feel like Scarlet Johansson could actually REALLY nail that part of it.

She plays a voice-only AI in Her that really hits some important points of what would make Motoko work without even being on screen, and despite not having actual visual screentime in that film, she made it sell brilliantly. Then there's the physical role, and while I can't speak to Lucy (because it came out while I was in Sweden, I think), her Captain America: TWS role as Black Widow pretty much sells me on the physical aspect of being able to pull off Motoko. I think that if they work to make the rest of Section 9 visibly multicultural (specifically Aramaki, Ishikawa, & Togusa assuming they're all in there)* I think that they'll be able to make this work - especially if they address the idea of individual identity in a post-cyberization era with a fully/heavily cyborg individual.

*(I didn't list Batou, because depending on the story he was a part of operations with the American Empire's military rangers at one point, so he could be a non-asian role and still fit in).

Thoughts?

X :neo:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Daniel Craig as Batou - he kind of has that look and it would be kind of hilarious to see him going about with bottlecaps on his eyes for the entire film :monster:

But really, I never see the point in these live action/westernised remakes -except of course to make a big load of lovely money.

Fans of the originals are not going to be happy because they have to water everything down so it is pissweak and palatable to western audiences. In short, its not for us - it's certainly not for me. Just like that Akira thing that seems to have died a death thank fuck.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Do we know yet whether this adaptation will be set in the U.S. like the "Akira" movie was supposed to be? If it is, I have no issue with Scarlett's casting.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I'm not too fussed about it because despite the whole dumb Americanisation of the role, at the very least Scarlett Johansson has the talent and could have the look for it.

And given this was going to be bankrolled as a Hollywood production there was no way in hell they were going to be able to cast what could technically be an ethnic minority for a film lead.
In a perfect world of course it wouldn't be ideal, but Johannson has had the recent exposure as a lead actress and in the right sorts of movies - so based purely on metrics I don't think it's the worst choice they could have made.

Plus, by now there are so many different designs they could have taken, what with the manga and the Oshii films and the noitaminA television series and miniseries. Not to mention looks for full body cyborgs being so... disposable that any discrepancy in ethnicity could be handwaved fairly easily. I mean, in the Oshii films she ended up as a
generic gothloli in the first and a creepypasta doll in the second :monster:

Of course, there's every indication they could easily fuck this up, but this is the series that inspired a whole bunch of creators back in the day to make good sci-fi/cyberpunk stuff, even in Hollywood. There's plenty of material that one can understand the nuances of. It's not like it's an adaptation of a stupid shonen power-hour. Fuckin' looking at you Dragonball :monster:

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I think a fun activity would be this: Who would you cast for each role of the main cast? :P

Chief Aramaki -
Sid_James_B%26W.jpg
even though he's been dead for 35 years

Iskikawa -
kurt-russell.jpg

Togusa
19511.jpg

Saito = I dunno fucking Fassbender I cant be arsed to find a pic.

Boma/Borma = Tom Hardy

Paz/Pazu = James Woods or James Spader or Tim Roth or something.

Motoko = I think Noomi Rapace would be awesome, she's got that hardness about her, but also vulnerablity.

Also, Ron Perlman could play Batou if Craignotbond is unavailable.

Casting: Done

Can I have 100,000 dollars now please? :monster:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Do we know yet whether this adaptation will be set in the U.S. like the "Akira" movie was supposed to be? If it is, I have no issue with Scarlett's casting.

I'd have issues with Americanizing GITS. The series is so much about how cyberization affected japan that a series anywhere else might as well just be generic cyberpunk. Which isn't bad, it just shouldn't be called GITS.

Meanwhile, I WOULD watch ScarJo as Deunan Knute, but she doesn't strike me as the Major.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Well, Mamoru Oshii got away with setting his films in what looked like a relatively generic Asian setting that looked suspiciously like a flooded Hong Kong.

They'd miss out on specific background themes and lore, sure, but it's up to the writers as to exactly what they want to focus on. Plus, it doesn't hurt to call it generic when Ghost in the Shell was one of the series from Japan to popularise the genre itself :monster:

Like calling Narnia generic high fantasy. :awesome:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I'd photoshop the hair if I had Photoshop on this thing :monster:

But good casting for Aramaki

So wait, the Laughing Man is going to be in it? I know nothing about that other guy.

Still not really looking forward to this though :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i'm surprised they got beat takeshi for it (who sounds like he's just going to play his own personal spin on the character). i suppose that's a kind of star power if you're japanese or know about asian cinema?

the takeshi article says that mitsuhisa ishikawa from production ig (producer for the original film and innocence) and a tetsuya fujimura (who i don't know anything about) are involved as well

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Thanks for the additional details from the article, hito! :monster:

I'm really holding out hope that since Aramaki was cast as a Japanese actor that Ishikawa & Togusa get cast as Japanese actors as well, since of everyone in Section 9, I think that their identities as being Japanese are fairly important.

Also, apparently Pilou Asbæk was cast as Batou, which is an interesting choice (but one with the perfect brow shape)

Pilou-Asb%C3%A6k-Batou.jpg

X :neo:

Top Bottom