Search isn't working?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I was messing around with searching posts, and it's not really working right. I tested it on my name and it keeps telling me 'Sorry, no matches'.

Fangu

Great Old One
What were you searching for?

Make sure you're not just searching thread titles. There's an option for that, and iirc it's default.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I'm not sure what the problem here is. I thought it might've been a case of the search options being edited to have three-letter words excluded, but that doesn't appear to have been the case. Maybe it has something to do with the recent maintenance.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Chrome. That's not the problem, though. He's searching for "Mog".

Fangu

Great Old One
Ah, yes. Looks like it's showing the wrong error message for the three character thing.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The word being three characters shouldn't be a problem, though. It's set to index all words as short as one character.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well I tried searching for 'PSN' the other day and that didn't work either. Might actually have something to do with the upgrade; I think MySQL actually sets a minimum character limit for its full text search. Let me go look in the config for that one.

edit: Yeah that's probably it, I was going through the old config file from the pre-upgrade backup and found a backed-up file from a previous upgrade with a setting in there:

Code:
[mysqld]

ft_min_word_len=1

i.e. the old minimum word length was set to 1, where the default setting is 4 - this setting is not set in the current version of the mysql config file. I'll change it - I'm gonna google to see if setting it to 1 is harmful (and whether that indexes words like "I" or if it means it requires words to be at least 2 characters long). After that I'll have to rebuild the full text search index though, which might take some processing powarz and make TLS a bit slow or unresponsive for a bit.

edit 2: looks like setting it to a low value will just make the full text index larger, but shouldn't cause problems. I'll set it to 2 for now (because who in their right mind would search for "I") and rebuild the search index.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
vBulletin wouldn't index "I" by default, I'm pretty sure. It excludes commonly used words and "I" is certainly commonly used.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well it's vBulletin using MySQL's full text search engine, so it'd probably be MySQL not indexing it.

Anyway, after a few minutes rebuilding the search engine we're back and I can search for three-lettered words, so, fhtagn! :monster:

Top Bottom