Secret Wars (2015) [Marvel]

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Seriously time for those of you not reading Jonathan Hickman's "Avengers" and "New Avengers" to get on board. Today, Marvel finally confirmed that Hickman's "Time Runs Out" storyline culminating in the upcoming "Secret Wars" event for May will see the end of the line for Marvel as it has existed throughout its entire publishing history.

All existing stories will come to a close, there will be no more alternate timelines (i.e. the Ultimate universe, the primary universe and all others will be drawn into one), and the story will serve as an ending to the Marvel Comics we grew up with -- as well as the beginning of a new Marvel line.

I can't quite put into words how excited I am about this. I've been following Marvel since before I could read (so, since last Tuesday), and the prospect of an ending -- a true, genuine ending -- is mind-blowing. It's like a soap opera you've followed for 25 years ending.

Is it sad I'm also excited about the prospect of something that can be looked at as a permanent jumping-off point?

I probably won't keep buying after. Hell, there will be more back issue stories than I can ever read in a lifetime still out there. I've almost managed to finish putting together a complete set of the "Age of Apocalypse" from 20 years ago (missing only eight of the 39 issues at this point). A permanent jumping-off point sounds good to me right now, especially with a kid on the way.

It's the end of an age, folks.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I was 98% percent certain that Secret Wars was gonna wrap everything under one roof, and I'm glad to hear that that's the case - especially if it means that I won't have to deal with liking stuff in the Ultimates universe and not getting to have them play with the other more likeable aspects of the 616. (This was a huge reason why I loved seeing the All-New X-Men getting to hang out with Miles Morales in the Ultimates universe - and I can't help but wonder if this might be a part of how that problem with them being stuck over there is gonna get solved).

I kinda feel like this will permanently derail a few mysteries I'd have liked to have seen the answers to, (like what the fuck happened to the Miles Morales in the 616 that was teased at the end of Spider-men). Speaking of which, I'm curious what this means for the multitude of three (Anarchist, Gwen, SP//dr) Spidermen that I'm hoping to see more of for Spider-Verse, because it feels like they all work a lot better when they're allowed to play in their own little sandbox, but I'm not sure if this is JUST 616 and Ultimates getting affected, or if it runs deeper than that.

I'm curious how some of the crossover is gonna work out in the grand scheme of things (mostly for things like the two VERY different stories with Peter Parker between 616 & Ultimates) and which one will ultimately be left standing as "THE" Peter Parker Spider-man in the end of it all. (Possibly unpopular opinion - I can't bring myself to give two fucks about the 616 Peter Parker, but I love everything in Ultimate).

In the end of it all though, I still kinda just feel like following what comics I'm already following and letting things play out as they do, because I still have absolutely ZERO motivation to pick up and follow any of the Avengers' storylines despite the fact that they're the ones pushing the event. I don't feel any vested interest in their accelerated side of the story from any of the characters' point of view. I'm JUST starting to be somewhat interested in Thor (not Odinson) but I can't see just that bringing me into following them yet because her character's still so much of a mystery in her comics.

EDIT:

Here's the video. Skip to 13:30

X :neo:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Lol

Tres I was just reading an article about this and thought if you. :monster:

I guess this is why
they are letting Peter and MJ get back together

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
X: With all the tie-ins they're going to have for this, surely you'll be interested in at least two or three? Maybe not "Renew Your Vows" since you don't care for 616 Pete or what happened with his marriage to MJ (I'll be getting this one, you better fucking believe it) -- but "Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies"? "The Infinity Gauntlet"? "Armor Wars"? "X-Men '92"? "Age of Apocalypse"? "Years of Future Past"? "Old Man Logan"? "Ultimates: The End"?

Surely there's something jumping out to you? I won't be getting all the tie-ins, but I'll probably get all the ones I mentioned here. Well, maybe not the "Ultimates" book or AoU vs. Zombies (fun concept here, but I never loved the Marvel Zombies to begin with), but I figured you would be interested at least.

Tenny: How about you?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
X: With all the tie-ins they're going to have for this, surely you'll be interested in at least two or three? Maybe not "Renew Your Vows" since you don't care for 616 Pete or what happened with his marriage to MJ (I'll be getting this one, you better fucking believe it) -- but "Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies"? "The Infinity Gauntlet"? "Armor Wars"? "X-Men '92"? "Age of Apocalypse"? "Years of Future Past"? "Old Man Logan"? "Ultimates: The End"?

Surely there's something jumping out to you? I won't be getting all the tie-ins, but I'll probably get all the ones I mentioned here. Well, maybe not the "Ultimates" book or AoU vs. Zombies (fun concept here, but I never loved the Marvel Zombies to begin with), but I figured you would be interested at least.

Oh, I do fully intend to read quite a number of the Secret Wars titles when the event hits. I was just saying that the current Avengers comics still haven't hooked me to read them and follow them into the event. I'm happy with other titles slowly dropping things together - even if it's less directly.

The ones that immediately stand out as things I'll probably get are X-Men '92, Ultimates: The End, AvX, Years of Future Past, & Old Man Logan.

Planet Hulk, Future Imperfect, Age of Apocalypse, House of M, & Attlian Rising are probably the next tier of things that I'm likely inclined to pulled in by (for the X-titles, they're events that I'm a little less familiar with, Hulk - I've had a tough time staying invested in those titles despite liking him, same with Inhumans, but I'd like ta give 'em a go if they go well).

Amazing Spider-man: Renew Your Vows, Infinity Gauntlet, & Armor Wars are the ones I'm not really intrigued by right off the bat though that's certainly open ta change depending on things.

Also - is there any information on how those titles are working out? Are those just a version of a world that's crashing into things, or is it some sort of re-staging of that general scenario, etc.?

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
My guess is it's both of those things you just described -- alternate universes where those events played out differently, now being combined into Battleworld. For example, "The Infinity Gauntlet" is probably a reality in which Thanos never lost the Gauntlet.

So, this Age of Apocalypse probably isn't the same reality we know as the AoA reality either. That one was reduced to a lifeless realm already during "X-Termination." Alternate AoA realities were already established as a thing in "Exiles" years ago anyway, though.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'll be getting Renew Your Vows, you'd best believe it.

I'm mostly curious about some of the more recent changes to the universe in the past few years. Ms. Marvel has been out for not even a year yet. Are they going to reboot her? Are they going to reboot Captain Marvel, again? Or Will Carol go back to her old name again?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
2dde6743471f7b6fe60bd881def138db.jpg

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
That's awesome, Tenny. XD
I don't know if I'll be buying that anthology series. It sounds like it probably won't have much (or any) impact on the main book.

Maybe I'll check it out if it turns out to have some characters involved I care about. From the looks of it, though, I'll be able to ease my bank account's pain a little by passing on that mini.

Not interested in "Attilan Rising" either, which they just made official announcements about (the creative team and all that) a couple days ago. Maybe will check out "Ultimate End" (also just had its creative team announced a few days ago), but that's probably going to be a pass too.

Can't wait for more info about the other titles that had those teasers back in October.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
For those of you Marvel geek enough to appreciate this, I'm reposting something I just posted over at ComicBookResources.com:
I said:
It's still pretty paltry as compared to the scale of the entire universe that's getting destroyed, really. I mean, we know that one Beyonder, who's not even at full power for a Cosmic Cube because his power is split with Molecule Man, can create an entire new universe, so for a bunch of Beyonders/Ivory Kings to make a pocket universe big enough to hold Battleworld and collect the pieces for it isn't that much by comparison.

Perhaps the multiversal collapse is only unstoppable by Franklin/Beyonder levels of power (usually sufficient to create brand new universes) until it is complete, apart from any little outposts and bits of detritus in the white void between universes that we've seen can survive like the Black Priests' HQ, Hyperion, Doom and Reece. In that case, rather than forming Battleworld and its pocket universe while the Incursions and multiversal collapse are still ongoing, the Ivory Kings might be collecting their game pieces, keeping them in stasis in the void, and waiting for this last Incursion to finish before they piece them together.

And once everybody is on Battleworld, and there are no other universes to crash into, who's to say that there's anything stopping the Beyonders, or Franklin, from going ahead and creating brand new universes, perhaps using the Zones from Battleworld as seeds? Only you probably want to take out the Great Destroyer and anybody else who doesn't like that idea first....
I think we've solved Marvel's loophole, vitruvian. Between this and one of your following posts (which I will quote momentarily), I think we know what they're planning.

Here's your other post that I'm talking about:
If this is following the pattern of the old Secret Wars closely enough that the Beyonders are the ones responsible for setting up Battleworld, then it probably follows that they're offering a prize of their heart's desire to whoever 'wins' the battle/contest.... and since that desire for a lot of the place's inhabitants is likely to be a restoration of their home universe (not all, there are certainly some dystopic realities that would prefer the chance to go live in some other universe), it certainly leaves that option open.

Perhaps the GD wants to destroy even what's left in Battleworld, the Beyonders are offering the restoration of one single universe for whoever wins, and Franklin ends up outdoing them and restoring the whole shebang. We'll see.
The Beyonders will offer the survivors of these various universes the opportunity to have their universe restored by defeating all the rest, and then Franklin will subvert their plan by granting everyone's desire -- they will all get their universe back, but they will have to share the space. Franklin will detonate Battleworld and the various pieces will grow into the new, unified Marvel Universe.

Marvel has been giving us the answer all along: "Battleworld is the Marvel Universe going forward."

Not because they plan to keep stories going on Battleworld rather than Earth (in what we've established would be a measure of absolute insanity when the movie franchise is at the height of its popularity), but because Battleworld literally will become the new Marvel Universe, complete with an Earth based on the one most familiar to us and a new cosmos to be explored and charted. It's been right in front of our faces.

The announcement for the "Warzones!" banner gave it away in so blatant a manner I don't know how we missed it until now:

"'If you want a glimpse of what the future holds, you’ll find it in the WARZONES titles,' Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso said in the teaser image'saccompanying press release. 'Our creators let their imaginations run wild as they lay down the foundations for the future.'"

"While the Secret Wars rage, the building blocks of a new Marvel Universe take form within the war-torn Domains that make up Battleworld!"

"All that remains in the cosmos is Battleworld, the strange, patchwork realm playing host to countless realities, all existing side-by-side, fused into a single planet."

"These titles will lay the building blocks and groundwork for what’s next, if that gives any indication of how important they are!”

So we'll see the Manhattan section of Battleworld (the Earth-616 and Earth-1610 section) grow into a new Earth while other territories grow into a multitude of other new worlds. And they were literally telling us this from the start.

In this way, Marvel will get to have its cake and eat it too. To explain:

-They get to streamline the creative sandbox that is the multiverse by condensing it
-They get to clean up the publishing line and start it as fresh as they decide they want to
-They get to jettison the baggage of the Celestials having had their hands in everything back to the dawn of time
-Piggybacking off the previous point, the new creative sandbox is a whole new universe begging to be explored by characters like the Fantastic Four, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Silver Surfer and Nova
-They get to keep their word that "Battleworld is the Marvel Universe going forward" without sacrificing brand synergy with the Marvel Cinematic Universe
-They get to reboot the sandbox while still being able to say "We've never done a reboot like the Distinguished Competition," since it won't combine a multiverse into a single universe in quite the same way "Crisis On Infinite Earths" did. Rather than seeing their histories merged, the old universes will merely see their remaining physical debris grow into a new shared space. All past continuity technically remains intact even as it simultaneously becomes largely irrelevant

Start placing your bets now, people.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, we've recently had a slew of underwhelming, disappointing and plain odd news about upcoming "Secret Wars" titles.

Filed under "Underwhelming":
-"Secret Wars: Battleworld" (mentioned by X earlier)
-Charles Soule and John Timm's "Inhumans: Attilan Rising"
-Haden Blackman and Dalibor Talajic's "Master of Kung-Fu"
-Peter David and Will Sliney's "Secret Wars 2099"
-Dennis Hopeless and Javier Garrón's "Inferno" (I love the original storyline, but see little offered to me by an alternate universe rehash)
-Mike Costa and Andre Aruajo's "Spider-Verse"
-Sam Humphries and Marc Laming's "Planet Hulk"
-G. Willow Wilson, Marguerite Bennett and Jorge Molina's "A-Force"

Filed under "Disappointing":
-Brian Michael Bendis and Andrea Sorrentino's "Old Man Logan" (Seriously, you're going to hand "Old Man Logan" to fucking Bendis? Jesus Christ. Sorrentino's a great choice, but Bendis? He can do better-than-serviceable stuff once in a while, but it's always a surprise. Always)

Filed under "Plain Odd":
-Chris Yost and Amilcar Pinna's "M.O.D.O.K. Assassin"
-Garth Ennis and Russel Braun's "Where Monsters Dwell"

The only titles announced for this not to fall under one of these three categories so far are Bendis and Mark Bagley's "Ultimate End", which -- while obviously significant -- I have no interest in, and "Secret Wars Journal," which I do, and will be getting.

I'll also be getting "Where Monsters Dwell" (it's freakin' Ennis, for God's sake) and the main "Secret Wars" title, obviously. There's also the slightest chance I'll check out "A-Force." "Old Man Logan" had been a definite before Brian "Can Ruin Any Good Idea" Bendis was attached to it; now it's not even a maybe.

So, I'm sitting on three definites and a possible fourth title out of all this right now. Like I said, underwhelming and disappointing so far. That's okay, though. They're obviously trying a lot of different flavors here and the point is that they won't all be for everyone while there is still something for everyone. I just wish they had announced more for me so far, though my wallet is thanking them.

That's okay, though. I'm betting there will be some cool shit I want that has yet to be announced. They may be saving the best stuff for closer to launch.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I'm quite liking the Inferno news. appearances by classic Madelyne and Havok alone make this fun one. I'll be trying out A-Force, if only for the classic versions of the X-women and Nico in starring role. If it's boring and all Medusa and She-Hulk I'll probably drop it.

X-Men '92 better be perfect when it gets here tho.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
For realz.

Also, Nico is pretty much the main reason I'm considering "A-Force." I expect to be let down, though. There's too many women on that cover for them all to get adequate time, and Nico has never been a Disney Princess one of Marvel's female darlings.

"Runaways," despite being one of the best original Marvel ideas ever, and Vaughan's run on it being one of the best runs ever, has been pretty neglected.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Preview for the new Infinity Gauntlet tie-in, co-written by Gerry Duggan and Dustin Weaver, with pencils by Weaver (who did the gorgeous line work on Jonathan Hickman's "S.H.I.E.LD." series).

This one is a must-buy for me.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
We've got more details on "A-Force." It's not much, but it's enough to put me off trying this one.

Apparently it's not about the superheroes of Earth-616 who are women. It's set in Arcadia, a Domain formed from the remains and survivors of an alternate Earth where all the superheroes were women.

That premise isn't really enough to grab me on its own. If the book gets good reviews after release -- or turns out to have some of the 616 ladies in there after all -- I may come back to it, but right now, it's not intriguing me.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, here's a tie-in that may be worthy (:awesome:) of standing up to take notice: Jason Aaron and Chris Sprouse's "Thors"

It's apparently going to feature various Thors of the multiverse-that-was policing Battleworld in an official police-like capacity.

I'm going to try this one. Seeing as this will likely replace Jason Aaron's current "Thor" series, which I've been getting anyway, it's not like there will be a difference for my wallet to notice by adding this tie-in to the pull list.

Top Bottom