Sephiroth In The Wutai War

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Next to Sephiroth's childhood we only have minimal information about his time during the Wutai War that gave him fame as a warrior. I know many fans have had many interpretations what happened during that time and how he came to meet Angeal and Genesis but Square has never full elaborated on the events that took place. And it all comes down to speculations and guesses.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^You are aware this is true for just about every fictional series out there... There's always something left unexplained that the fans want to know...

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Won a lot of battles, killed a lot of dudes, etc etc.

I think mainly because there is so many interesting things that are not elaborated about Sephiroth pre-Nibelheim that it would be it actually intriguing they could be presented into at least a series of novellas.

In the case of the Wutai War I think it can better elaborate on Sephiroth teen years in the war and then later his friendships with Angeal and unfortunately Genesis.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
I'm one of those who wished Crisis Core's plot was centered on the Wutai War, but since that didn't happen, I don't think there's anything else worth showing from Sephiroth's story during that time.

IMO any sort of elaboration from Sephiroth's pre-famous days would make him more boring and therefore less appealing as a villain.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
If there is any mercy in the world, they will not touch anything else set pre-FFVII.

Be careful not to tempt fate. -_-

@Unlucky

So, you want the Wutai War to be more for the fan fiction writers to elaborate on?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Be careful not to tempt fate. -_-

@Unlucky

So, you want the Wutai War to be more for the fan fiction writers to elaborate on?

Square Enix already had the chance to elaborate on the Wutai War, with Crisis Core being a magnificent chance to do so. Now that boat has up and sailed, it's pretty much too late for that.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
So, why can they not put the Wutai War into novel form. It worked for the Turks so why not the Wutai War.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The most interesting part about war novels is not what happens during the war, but what happens to the people going through the war... and that's what SE will mess up on. Particularly as this is when Sepiroth meets Angeal and Genesis for the first time...

Frankly I can think of half a dozen fanfiction writers who would make a better job of the Wutai War story than SE would on current form.

You should try "A Smile on My Face" by Giraffe on the Moon. Excellent writing, total respect for the OG, and a really gripping story. Sephiroth plays a major role in the latter part of this 'novel'.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Even if Nojima wrote it -- and I trust him more than any other major developer associated with FFVII -- he would still have to work with Angeal and Genesis at this point, which means more LOVELESS and dreams and honor and vomit.

That last word is me vomiting, by the way, not including vomit in the list.

SE has blown their load on pre-FFVII oppprtunities at this point. As far as anyone knew before the Compilation rolled out, the Wutai War was the only significant event in the years immediately preceding the original game. It's what people expected first Before Crisis and then Crisis Core to focus on. Both all but ignored the topic while fashioning new conflicts out of thin air that were never even hinted at within the established mythos.

There's no room left to do anything but make people's eyes roll with an Earlier Crisis. Instead of laying the foundations for the original game, they would be laying the foundations for BC and CC -- and who the hell wants to see that?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^Exactly. At this point, what people really want is a FFVII remake (and some not even that) and a proper end to the compilation.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Even if Nojima wrote it -- and I trust him more than any other major developer associated with FFVII -- he would still have to work with Angeal and Genesis at this point, which means more LOVELESS and dreams and honor and vomit.

That last word is me vomiting, by the way, not including vomit in the list.

SE has blown their load on pre-FFVII oppprtunities at this point. As far as anyone knew before the Compilation rolled out, the Wutai War was the only significant event in the years immediately preceding the original game. It's what people expected first Before Crisis and then Crisis Core to focus on. Both all but ignored the topic while fashioning new conflicts out of thin air that were never even hinted at within the established mythos.

There's no room left to do anything but make people's eyes roll with an Earlier Crisis. Instead of laying the foundations for the original game, they would be laying the foundations for BC and CC -- and who the hell wants to see that?

Before Crisis and Crisis Core really scream Remember The New Guy and Kuduz Plot. And man looking on TV tropes both those games have some really bad writing tropes.

Shakespeare is absolutely riddled with bad writing tropes. Nobody should take TV Tropes as a basis for serious literary analysis. They have turned every single thing on earth into a trope and given it a name.

Top Bottom