Shadows of Ebberon: A D&D Campaign

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Alright. I've spent quite a sum of time tyring to determine exactly how to start this thing. After some considerable thought I've decided to start nice and simple. So, without further ado we shall begin.

--

It was a quiet day for the four of you, Trine Planecrosser, Grey Longreach, Nilrain Dawntracker, and Vaan. You were all gathered at the Adventurers guild in Clifftop, a section of upper Dura in Sharn, the city of towers.

On this day a frantic woman had come to the guild looking for help. She explained to you that her husband, a man called Douven Stual, had gone north to the small town of Winterhaven three months ago to investigate the burial site of a dragon.

His trip was only supposed to have lasted a couple of weeks, but he never returned. Desperate to have her husband return, this woman named Sylvia has promised all the gold she posseses if you would only go and determine her husbands fate.

So what say you bold adventurers to Sylvia's plea?

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
"Don't worry miss, I'll save your husband for you!" Vaan said with a cheerful smile. "Are you guys with me?" He asked the others, and turned to head towards Winterhaven. Though he was a thief, Vaan still had heroic tendencies. Besides, that was a hefty sum of Gil, which he figured he could use to buy an airship, and fulfill his dream of becoming a sky pirate.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
"How much exactly is 'all the gold you possess'?" I ask, looking at the others. After all, it'd be smarter to go in knowing exactly how much this job would be worth before agreeing to anything.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
"Who cares about gold," I muttered. I stared at the woman and raised an eyebrow. "I want to know why your husband would think there was anything of value left in the dragon's cairn." As a general rule, a dead dragon meant someone had killed the dragon and unless they were a complete fool, they had taken whatever the dragon had been hoarding. The odds of there being something worthwhile left... was slim. Something fishy was going on, I was sure of it.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
"Might I ask what your husband's occupation was?" I said, thinking maybe he had some kind of job-related reason for going to the burial site of a dragon.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I decided not to speak at this time. It seemed like the Half-orc was doing a decent job of working out how much money there was to offer in this venture. I'd studied dragon tombs before in my past life, so what was one more?

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Sylvia looks between the four of you with pleading eyes. "Of course, my husband used to be an adventurer, but he fell on hard times. He thought if he could find something at the burial site maybe he could turn things around. But I care more about him than money or treasure. Please, if you return him to me I can give give you 250 gold."

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I gave Vaan a look and took an extra-long sip of coffee. The more I was around him, the more I wondered why he had taken up the life of a thief; he didn't seem to be cut out for it. But for now, I had more problems, namely the price for checking out an empty dragon's gave. "250 gold?" I snorted. "I could make more then that in a week fencing and I wouldn't even have to leave the city. You'll have to give me a better reason then that."

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
"To be fair, dragon burial sites in the past have often yielded rewards usually hidden to the untrained brigand or graverobber's eye. If he's fine - which I doubt if it really has been several months - it'll be easy money. If he isn't, well then there should still be something gained from the hunt. We've been in this business long enough to know that."

I rest my hands on my belt. "I don't have anywhere in particular I need to be, since I'm technically on leave, so I'm feeling generous. Is there anyone he might have gone to for help with his little trip? Somewhere in Winterhaven he might have stayed in particular?"

Last edited:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
"He would have stayed at the Wrafton Inn most likely. He was good friends with the inns owner, Salvana, during his adventuring days." Sylvia looks between all of you again.

"I know my Douven wouldn't have stayed away so long unless something was wrong. I'm sure he would share anything he's found if you help him."

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
"I think we should go guys. He could be in trouble," I said. "And 250 gil is quite a bit of money, especially compared to what we have right now." I called it gil because that's what the currency where I'm from is called. I still haven't gotten into the habit of calling it 'gold' yet. "Plus who knows what treasure we'll find there, or what people I'll get to pickpocket in Winterhaven. Plus we're not doing much right now, and we're adventurers, we're supposed to go on adventures, and this is the perfect opportunity for one. I say we go."

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
"Then it's settled" I said, leaving my seat "The four of us will leave for Winterhaven at once."
I bowed courteously to the lady Sylvia before exiting the room. I'd had enough of the loud atmosphere here anyway. I took a moment to wonder what the boy Vaan had meant when he said the word 'Gil'. It was no term I was familiar with but it seemed obvious he was referencing gold.
I'd only met these people today and already they were turning out to be a colourful bunch.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
The four of you depart the City of Sharn later that same day. For three days and nights yu travel north on the Kings road. Now on the fourth day you are growing close to Winterhaven.

The wind in your face is cool and comfortable. The road beneath your feet is level. An occasional ancient cobblestone peaks through the dirt, indicating decades of neglect. You notice footprints leading up and down the road, many of which were made by small, clawed feet.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
"I thought you said we were going to that inn to find out where Douven might have gone." If we were going to check out that dragon's gave it wouldn't help to go chasing after every distraction on the way there.

I turned to look at Grey and Nilrain. "What do you guys think?" They were older then me and could hopefully knock some sense into Vaan's head. "Should we go to the inn where we can sleep somewhere else then around a campfire, or should we follow some tracks that probably lead nowhere?"

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
"Hmmm." I crouch low to the ground, slowly tracing some of the track prints outlines. They certainly look familiar enough...

Nature check: Roll(1d20)+7:
12,+7
Total:19

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
After carefully examining the footprints you recognise them as belonging to Kobolds. Its impossible to tell where any one set of prints may be leading however, as they have criss crossed each other at several points. A few of the prints seem to be more recent than the rest.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
"A kobold" I began "Is a small reptillian creature not uncommon in these lands." I took a moment to wonder where Vaan might actually be from, having not heard of a creature so common as this. Still, the boy was young and seemed to be quite naive in nature.

"We should move forward with care. A kobold may not be strong but they do not fight fair either - we could easily be overwhelmed by these lesser creatures."

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
"Some tracks are fresh. Chances are if they have come by recently, they may still be near, unless they have already taken quarry before. Nonetheless, we might see their handiwork soon enough if we stop here." I stand up and keep a hand on my sword.

"We should go."

Last edited:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
As youn advance down the road you suddenly hear a shrill battle cry. From behind rocks and trees a number of kobolds leap out of concealment and charge down the road at you!

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Initiative Roll
Roll(1d20)+3:
18,+3
Total:21

I waste no time drawing my sword and loosing an axe from my belt, already on the move even as the kobolds lunge at the party. "Always vigilant!"

Minor: I designate the closest Kobold as my Hunter's Quarry (+1d8 upon hit).

Standard: I use my Throw and Stab attack, throwing a handaxe against the second-closest Kobold:
Attack Roll
Roll(1d20)+5:
2,+5
Total:7 vs. AC
And I lunge at my Hunter's Quarry with a Melee Basic Attack using my longsword:
Attack Roll
Roll(1d20)+7:
14,+7
Total:21 vs. AC

Last edited:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Initiative Roll
Roll(1d20)+3:
18,+3
Total:21

I waste no time drawing my sword and loosing an axe from my belt, already on the move even as the kobolds lunge at the party. "Always vigilant!"

Minor: I designate the closest Kobold as my Hunter's Quarry (+1d8 upon hit).

Standard: I use my Throw and Stab attack, throwing a handaxe against the second-closest Kobold:
Attack Roll
Roll(1d20)+5:
2,+5
Total:7 vs. AC
And I lunge at my Hunter's Quarry with a Melee Basic Attack using my longsword:
Attack Roll
Roll(1d20)+7:
14,+7
Total:21 vs. AC

Your axe hurls through the air but the kobold is able to twist away at the last second. (miss)

The kobold whom you attack with your sword is not so quick. (Roll damage)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Damage Roll
Roll(2d8)+4:
3,8,+4
Total:15 damage

Top Bottom