• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Short FF7 Fanfic: The Man in Red

Proteus7

Rookie Adventurer
One day, on a cliff overlooking a city, a hero died.

On another day, years later, that city lay in ruins. The cliff too had changed. It had an addition: a giant sword, rusted from the wear and tear of countless battles, sticking out of the ground. It was to this sword that a man came to visit.

This was a man unique in many ways. If you had been there at the time to see him you might pick up on it. Perhaps it was the way he spoke, or how if you inspected the ground around him you’d find no footprints of his approach. Whatever the reason, unique would certainly be the word to describe this red trench coat garbed man.

The man in red sat on the cliff next to the sword on this particular day. He sat there for hours, looking out over the ruins, deep in thought. In one hand he held a book titled “LOVELESS”, in the other he held a strange looking apple which he took a bite from every once and again. For hours he just sat and thought about his past and how things had changed since 6 years ago. He decided that he would miss the city of Midgar and, one thought process finished, stood to regard the sword planted in the earth.

“Angeal,” said the man in red, “times have changed. The world has left me behind in 6 years time. I awake to Shinra collapsed, Midgar destroyed, and to learn the world was almost brought to destruction by our silver-haired comrade.”

With this, the man stopped a moment and sat down next to the sword.

“But, that’s not truly accurate, is it, Angeal?” inquired the man in red to the sword. “It was I who almost destroyed the world. My actions which were the catalyst for Sephiroth’s change. I made a grave error, it seems. I wonder if any exist who have changed the world like I…”

The man in red sat in silence, contemplating, and took another bite from the Banora apple. Then, almost absentmindedly, he set the remainder of his fruit in his lap and ran his hand over the sword.

“I recall how fond you were of this sword, the symbol of your honor. An honor I played a large hand in tarnishing in my selfishness. I suppose I ought to be glad you can’t see the state this sword is in or know that it was because of I that the battles that corroded it to uselessness even occurred. I don’t think I could face you, Angeal, if you knew.”

Again, silence. Then a mirthless chuckle.

“Why, I suppose my blood was among the first to begin the corroding process, wasn’t it? Never before have I seen a puppy with such a bite, though I suppose that may even be rivaled by his bark.”

The chuckle that follows this time is not completely without humor.

“Tell me, Angeal. What is a man to do when he awakes in a world so totally different than the one he left? Blame aside, I do not know this world. I see things improved in areas, but in others I witness people still suffering from a calamity I played a part in.”

The man in red was silent for several more minutes. In this time he picked up his apple, finished it, and tossed the core off the cliff. Then, wiping his hands off on his red trench coat, he stood.

“I suppose the answer is obvious, is it not? I made an error and it has cost many. It is now time for me to repay a debt long overdue.”

As he spoke, a single raven wing unfolded from his left shoulder and spread wide.

“I do miss you, Angeal, but I’ve work to do. This world has lost a share of heroes because of me and I feel obligated to attempt to pick up the slack.”

With this, the man in red’s single black wing beat once, shooting him high in the air where he paused but for a moment.

“I shall visit again, old friend. Even if the ‘morrow is barren of promise, nothing shall forestall my return.”

And with that, Genesis flew away.

Last edited:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
It was fairly good. I'm not really a Genesis fan, but I liked your portrayal of him. The overall writing style was competent. Overall I liked it.

stiles

Call me a TREASURE HUNTER!
AKA
Locke
thumbs up from me. i have no critique to give you but i enjoyed it nonetheless, and hope to see more from you.

Top Bottom