Significant Differences Between English and Japanese

RhinoKart

Pro Adventurer
People really took this line negatively? For real? The translation seems alright in English, I guess, but maybe I need to go back and hear how other VAs delivered this line.

Personally, Tifa saying, だらしないぞヒーローなのに/darashinai zo hīrōnanoni, definitely came off as playful. I thought it was obvious from Cloud's reaction as well that he know she was only teasing him.

Oh no, they took the French line negatively, not understanding the subtext, while it made me chuckle (and also: "go Tifa!" lol).

This was me lol. My understanding of French is limited to reading street signs, ordering food, and struggling through Frenglish with the wrong country's accents. So I read the translation of the French and missed the nuance (specifically the word "disgrace" put me off). In English it is my absolute favourite scene in the game! Fortunately Eerie explained it, and now I also think it is super awesome in French as well.

Kind of annoyed about the Aerith/Barret line translation at the crossroads, seems like the English translation didn't really convey the situation very well. Plus Aerith's "Don't" just has such a long pause before it that I find it awkward every time I see it. Most of the translations are wonderful though, so can't really complain too much.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The ore-watashi solution might be to change it to the Royal We whenever he says Watashi, but then people might take that to mean “Jenova and I” which, would that be such a bad thing? :P

I like the swearing, but I really don’t like that Cloud says “bitch.” Much like retard wasn’t cool in 1997, bitch is just not cool, man. That won’t age well.

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
So I heard a theory that Jessie doesn't like Tifa because Jessie called Tifa "あの人" in chapter 3.
"あの人(ティファ)思想が揺れてるというか"
Tonally, the line has a bit negativity in both En JP, maybe that's just Jessie being herself? But this comes from native speakers so I'm not sure about this one.

Now when I think about it, they expanded Jessie's character and she seems to genuinely like her ..uhm "job".

odekopeko

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Peko
I did go ん? ティファのこと嫌ってるね when she put her down behind her back. It wasn't nice of her, but it was more like they weren't on the same page, and she didn't want to jeopardize her life. But she was talking about someone who wasn't there, so it makes sense. Ano hito isn't really that indicative of her dislike.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
That moment stuck out to me too. I was worried they were going to build up hostilities between the two but it never came up again. I guess with it in mind that Jessie was herself having a crisis of faith towards the mission (guilt over the damage her bomb did) she was frustrated that Tifa wasn't reaffirming her convictions but instead making her feel even more doubt.

AllGoodInMyHood

Pro Adventurer
AKA
TomTom
I never really played with english voices, as I am a filthy purist that also happens to be learning japanese for over 5 years now. I don't have the exact lines in front of me, but the there are three examples of "translation freedom" that I'll always remember.

#1 While the ladder snaps Aerith says

JP: うそ! (uso!) literally "no way/must be a lie"
ENG: Shit.

#2 When she waits for Cloud near Sector 5 Slum Exit and Cloud asks what is she doing here...

JP: 待ち伏せ。(machibuse) literally "ambushing you"
ENG: Waiting.

#3 When Cloud is asking Aerith why she's ambushing him

JP:もっと一緒にいたいから (motto issho ni itai kara) literally "I want to be with you more"
ENG: Because I'm not sick of you yet.

I'd love to get my hand on japanese copy of the game (I'm in EU) or get full script of remake. Maybe one day.

ps. Maaya Sakamoto is perfect as Aerith

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Seriously though, the EN voice of Sephiroth hurt my ears after listening to it for the whole game in French. It's just... I don't know, it's wrong :/

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i only remember 犬は嫌いか? because i heard it so many times

although there is the line in the transition scene between phases of the fight that's like 忘れられない夜にしてやろう which i mean. kinda sounds like they're gonna fuck

AllGoodInMyHood

Pro Adventurer
AKA
TomTom
although there is the line in the transition scene between phases of the fight that's like 忘れられない夜にしてやろう which i mean. kinda sounds like they're gonna fuck

"let's make it an unforgettable night" lol, that also made me smile. the thing is, japanese lines have more humor and character, unlike english ones :)

micasasolis

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
micasasolis
Lo siento, soy nuevo en el fandom, me dijeron que aquí debo preguntar esto: el clérigo dice que durante el sueño de la nube con Aerith ella está mal traducida, supuestamente Aerith no le dice a Cloud que no se enamore de ella, incluso si ella No es real. Más bien, él le dice que no se enamore de ella, y que si ella lo cree así, sería inútil. Quería saber si la traducción es correcta o incorrecta y si también hay errores en las traducciones de tifa y barret. Gracias.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Oh yeah I stumbled on this one per chance, but when Reno and Rude are attacking the pillar and Tifa shows up, the French dub has Rude saying "mais c'est..." and then slipping, when the EN dub has "stairs!" instead. You can see it here. I don't know but you can see here with the French translation that Rude does know and recognises Tifa, while in the English translation this is simply lost? I didn't notice that the English translation had this line changed up until tonight while checking something else :/

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Lo siento, soy nuevo en el fandom, me dijeron que aquí debo preguntar esto: el clérigo dice que durante el sueño de la nube con Aerith ella está mal traducida, supuestamente Aerith no le dice a Cloud que no se enamore de ella, incluso si ella No es real. Más bien, él le dice que no se enamore de ella, y que si ella lo cree así, sería inútil. Quería saber si la traducción es correcta o incorrecta y si también hay errores en las traducciones de tifa y barret. Gracias.

Hi, That's not correct. She didn't say "Inutil". For Aerith's resolution, the English translation is pretty similar to the Japanese one. So the English one it's the corrected one.

So what Aerith said was "But don't fall in love with me. Even if you do, it's just your imagination."

\/ source

For Tifa and Barret's, I'm haven't seen anyone bring any mistranslation there, so we can assume the English translation is the correct one as well.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
18, It's in the midst of the final Whisper battle.

In English he says, after someone asks what they're seeing, "What will transpire if we fail here today!" I wasn't wild about the line, because my response was "so can I fail to allow that to transpire?" But that would be interesting if the implication is different in Japanese.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
我々が捨てようとしている風景だ, it is a scene/scenery we are about to discard/trying to discard. i don't know about the 'fail' stuff since it sounds like what will happen if they do fail is a bad thing? the japanese line feels a bit more neutral to me, just that this is the future they will be changing.

AllGoodInMyHood

Pro Adventurer
AKA
TomTom
I think if they want to use "scene/scenery" they would use 景色・けしき・keshiki (scenery; scene; but also landscape). Since signs for "fuukei" are for wind/manner and scenery/view I'd translate this as "outlook" or "perspective". Oh, the abstract meanings in kanji.

tobakudan

Rookie Adventurer
The two are basically synonymous. Deriving meaning from individual kanji is misleading. 風景 simply means scene/scenery/view and would never be translated as outlook or perspective. It just sounds unnatural because Red is talking in a poetic way, but when translated literally sounds unnatural (as is often the case for poetry, figures of speech, etc.)

Top Bottom