• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Silver Surfer [Marvel]

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Another title I follow that you should be reading if you aren't.

I've spoken about it before in the "What Comics Are You Reading Thread?" -- but that was before we had this sub-forum dedicated to discussing comics.

With this series, current "The Amazing Spider-Man" scribe Dan Slott has transformed the Silver Surfer from a shiny alien who -- in one of the greatest accidental juxtapositions ever -- rides around the universe on a surfboard moping with interesting things occasionally happening to him into a shiny alien who rides around the universe on a surfboard moping (juxtaposition intact) but is actually fun to read about.

In getting Norrin (not-so-)Radd to this point, Slott had to lift the formula and TV bible of Russell T. Davies-era "Doctor Who" -- but, hey, there's choices a lot worse he could have picked to borrow from (such as Steven Moffat-era "Doctor Who" -- but that's a discussion for another time =P). If you're going to rip something off, steal from the best.

Thanks to that, the Surfer now has the optimistic and open-minded Dawn Greenwood of Earth as his ever-present companion, allowing him to bounce off her personality and grow into less of a buzzkill even as her horizons expand and she makes new discoveries about herself. Coupled with this is finally establishing the Surfer's board (named "Toomie" by Dawn) as a character with personality in its own right, analogous to The Doctor's TARDIS.

Such an obvious thing to do in hindsight, but no one -- at least no one writing the damn character -- ever thought to before.

I haven't mentioned the art on the book up to now because, frankly, I'm not a fan of Laura and Mike Allred's aesthetic. That's just personal preference talking, though. Mike is a competent, clear visual storyteller with a pencil, and one look at Laura's colors will show you that she understands contrast and iconography in ways that I certainly never could. Dawn's design is cute but still with a hint of the strength she didn't know she had at the series' beginning, and she contrasts perfectly with the Surfer in every panel they share.

Long story made short: The Allreds are prefect for this book.

And with that, what else can I say but "Start fucking reading this"? If you like "Doctor Who," if you want to read Marvel but want some lighter yet sophisticated fare amidst their often heavy offerings, if you just like to read good stories -- start fucking reading this.

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
You had me at "Russell T. Davies-era Doctor Who".

I'll probably wait for this one to come out on the Unlimited App, though. I have too many issues to buy as it is.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Okay, I just read the first four issues of Slott' run. This comic is super adorable! And Slott really hits you over the head with the Doctor Who references. "Come along, Dawn." aha Careful Slott, your Whovian is showing.

But I must say, I feel like he is really within his element with this comic, at least so far. I'm tempted to say this is better than his Spiderman stuff but I guess it's probably too early for that.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
(Don't know how I missed your post. So glad you're reading it!)

I would totally say it's better. :monster:

And yesterday's most recent issue (#10) might be the best of the series so far. It's very, very difficult to say. But the feels, yo.

Still a little bit sad to imagine, though, that come "Secret Wars,"
all those aliens the Surfer and Dawn fought so hard to save may be wiped out anyway. =(

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah, I'm kind of worried about the titles that haven't been around long. Definitely not ready for them to be done yet.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Issue #12 was awesome. It felt like what could have been the intended ending of the story Slott wanted to tell. Obviously it will have tie-in issues that continue into "Secret Wars," but who knows what to expect from those.

In related news, I had to send Marvel's web support people an e-mail. Really annoyed at the Digital Edition code redemption website at the moment. I encountered numerous errors while trying to put in the code, then when I finally got to the last screen, it never loaded -- and then when I started over, the site ended up telling me my code was already used and no longer valid. I took pictures of the issue I bought and the code in the book, so hopefully I won't have any problem getting them to fix it.

Top Bottom