Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Version 3

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
For the last couple of weeks, me and the other staff have been working on sprucing up the index pages of the Lifestream. These are the pages where the links to the articles can be found, not the articles themselves.

Before I start re-doing some of the more work intensive pages I'd like to see what everyone else thinks of the mock ups I currently have. Currently, there are three versions.

If you are logged into Wordpress on the front page, you can view all the pages I've done so far below. If you aren't, I've made screen shots of some of the pages which can be found here on deviantART. Pages that currently don't have a v3 option will get one if that option wins.

Current Content
Content v1
Content v2
Content v3

Current About
About v1
About v2

Current Community
Community v1
Community v2

Current Affiliations
Affiliations v1
Affiliations v2

Current FFVII Compendium
FFVII Compendium v1
FFVII Compendium v2
FFVII Compendium v3

Current Fan Works
Fan Works v1
Fan Works v2

Current Non-FFVII Translations
Non-FFVII Translations v1
Non-FFVII Translations v2

Current Highlights
Highlights v1
Highlights v2
Highlights v3

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's a draw between V1 and V3 for me; I went with V1 because bigger headers for greater justice.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I went with version 2 because I don't think <hr> tags have a place in modern web design. They look old-fashioned and they don't fit the idea that HTML should define how the content is structured and CSS should define how it is presented. I also think it has a better content density than V1 and V3 without feeling too crowded.

Anyway, good work, Obsidian. It's always good to have options to choose from, and all of them will be an improvement on our current design (or designs, as we haven't been very consistent) :)

Fangu

Great Old One
^ True about the <hr>'s, but using bullet points as they are used in v2 is sort of a content crime, imo. (Lists should be used for listing, not as decoration.) Same as Yop, I like the font sizes in 1 and 3.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I went with version 2 because I don't think <hr> tags have a place in modern web design. They look old-fashioned and they don't fit the idea that HTML should define how the content is structured and CSS should define how it is presented. I also think it has a better content density than V1 and V3 without feeling too crowded.
The <hr> (horizontal lines) can be taken out really easily in less then a minute. Actually, that's what I like about v2 the least; it's the most cumbersome for me to make in Wordpress as well as it doesn't work as well with some of the other link heavy pages that I'll be doing in the future. IE: imagine these pages with v2 formatting...
Anyway, good work, Obsidian. It's always good to have options to choose from, and all of them will be an improvement on our current design (or designs, as we haven't been very consistent) :)
This is my main problem with the site at the moment and it's pretty easy for me to fix in Wordpress. So long it's consistent across the site I'll be happy.
^ True about the <hr>'s, but using bullet points as they are used in v2 is sort of a content crime, imo. (Lists should be used for listing, not as decoration.) Same as Yop, I like the font sizes in 1 and 3.
For me, this vote is mainly about what type of header style to use. Given how long some of our pages are going to be (unless we majorly reorganize the site which probably isn't happening), a bolded header style is going to work better then an unbolded one. And I'd like not to have 2 different header styles being used across the site...

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
For me, this vote is mainly about what type of header style to use. Given how long some of our pages are going to be (unless we majorly reorganize the site which probably isn't happening), a bolded header style is going to work better then an unbolded one. And I'd like not to have 2 different header styles being used across the site...
Well, if it's header styles alone, I'd vote for v3 :)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Obsidian said:
So long it's consistent across the site I'll be happy.

Pretty much how I feel. I prefer the aesthetic of V2 and my journalist sensibilities love bulleting, but it's really all about the consistent presentation.

That's what Obsidian set out to do, and that's what I'm supporting. So long as it doesn't look like a GeoCities site from 1999 or something. =P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I was chuckling at the distorted image for "The memory lives on" before I realised that our image is actually like that :P

I had to close the tab because Chrome kept trying to download mid files :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Final tally (Flint changed his vote):

v1: 2
v2: 3
v3: 6

Looks like we'll be going with v3 then. I'll get to coding the rest of the pages then.

Top Bottom