So, who’s on the no spoiler team here?

Sonichu

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Grant
To be fair, I understand wanting to post and stream about the remake, its hype and weve all been waiting for literal years. In Squares defense, The game isn't even really out yet and wont be till the 10th so it makes sense that theyre going crazy on livestreams, videos, and content related too it, im aware Europe got it early and everyone is losing their minds, but like i said: Its not suppose to be out, so we all just need to relax until its released worldwide, for the sake of people who have not played it yet and peoples youtube channels.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
lol "time away." That didn't pan out. I think just running around here and talking about stuff for a while has done me a lot of good. When I'm left to my own devices I tend to villainize the thing that's giving me that "negative energy" you mentioned, and it just piles and piles. Talking brings things back down to reality, where I can realize we're all pretty much the same and some of us were just luckier than others. I also like how I mythologized this phone call as some groundbreaking, meaningful moment when we spent half the time mutually hating Europe (he really wants his remake copy too) and talking about kingdom hearts voice actors. He's just more level headed than I am and was willing to call me out on my unreasonable bullshit, and knows how I think pretty well. He's a very insightful guy.

Here, maybe this is too personal, but I'll share the experience that kinda gave me a bit of a complex. If you're interested.
Alright, when I was about 14 years old, I was invited to one of my friend's birthday sleepover party. The majority of my friends were girls in high school for some reason, and they all knew each other, so they were all at this party. So bed time rolls around, and my friend's mom wants the boy to sleep separately from all the girls. Fair enough, right? Well here definition of "separate" was to stick me on an old couch in the basement, and then lock me down there until the next morning. Like, I couldn't leave. For some reason I didn't question this at first, but as the night wore on it kinda dawned on me that it was pretty fucked that I was locked in a basement sleeping on a couch while all of my friends were sleeping in beds, chatting and having fun all night. So I start freaking out, and getting more and more stressed. I can't sleep, so I stay awake all night, and basically have a full on panic attack. By the next morning when they finally let me out I'm just dead inside and won't talk to anybody, and it all just kinda ends awkwardly.

I'm pretty sure that night fucking traumatized me or something, because after that I started to develop some bad self hatred issues. My thinking was along the lines of "if I needed to be locked up, that means I'm terrible and dangerous." My friends all treated it like I was over reacting, and maybe I was, but I would still get brought to the point of quaking in anger whenever I had to explain the story for years afterwards. Took forever to finally get an apology, too. I'm over the whole thing by now, it was practically 10 years ago, but getting into similar situations still stresses me out.

How does any of that relate to the remake debacle of the moment? My mind just keeps linking the "Haves" (people upstairs, people who have that game) with the "have-nots" (me locked in the basement, me unable to get my hands on this game for arbitrary reasons.) Is that stupid? Yes. That's a ridiculous comparison to make. Yet I can't help but get overly frustrated anyway. Maybe I should consider therapy, geez.

So yeah that's a thing that happened. I'm not saying my little sob story there is the only reason though, its a lot of things. I just don't want "healthy venting" to turn into "ruin everybody else's fun because I'm salty." Like, @Jairus, you know I like you. You're one of the people here I talk to the most! So I don't want you to take this too personally, but I'd rather not have my being mad about not getting the game early turn into something like Jairus' Jessie rants. I dunno, I guess there's a balance to these things.
If I can just vent about one thing though, I'm kinda upset lex posted his 1st class edition without a spoiler. I wanted the box it came in to be a surprise. Guess I should've been more careful...

Apologies if you wanted the thread to be past this by now, but I do have cents to chime in.

While it may seem like something like a sleepover shouldn’t be anything to be scarred over - sleepovers are just innocent fun, under normal circumstances. However...
There’s actually a lot about that experience that definitely could cause very understandable lasting mental effects.
Social exclusion? Check. Social isolation? Check. Being locked in a room against your will, and in a basement nonetheless? Check. On top of that, it was all because of assumptions attached to your innate gender, not because of any actions you did. (Separating boys and girls is reasonable in sleepovers, but like...I dunno, just our ‘em in like a few rooms over or whatever)
Even seemingly “minor” events in life can have lasting effects on people in ways they don’t expect or predict, so I think all of that is understandable. It does sound like something therapy could help with.

I guess a common theme with what I’m saying is that you shouldn’t be ashamed of these problems you’re experiencing. It’s...also normal to feel ashamed, admittedly, too. But nothing you’ve said has been anything shameful, just problems to fix. Problems are a part of life, and while everyone experiences them differently and in unique circumstances, there’s no shame in them. It’s a universal human experience.

Even then, I hope you can get to a point where you’re pumped for Remake again soon, but take your time.

Also, nice name, Sonichu. I’m a big fan.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah I don't want to drag things off course just to talk about me, so I'll relegate that part of my response to a spoiler.

Yeah, it was a first for a lot of things, since it happened when I was still young. This was also my first big friend group, so I couldn't help but feel a little betrayed (though it was really just the mother's call.) One detail I failed to mention is that the door to this basement was just a little twist lock, anybody could unlock it from the upstairs side, there was no key. So it was pretty clear she was afraid of myself specifically doing something, since any of the girls could have come down at any time. I took that part pretty personally. Especially since this house had enough guest rooms to accommodate everyone.
On top of that, it was all because of assumptions attached to your innate gender, not because of any actions you did.
That was definitely the worst part. I was put into this situation based on criteria I had no means of changing, since it was something I was born into. There was no solution to the problem I could come up with, nothing to be done, so that just exacerbated my frustration. I don't want to ramble on forever about it, but the "social expectations based on gender" aspect would come back in a bad way a few years later, which is why I suspect this one event probably effected me in ways I can't really quantify. There's this special sort of frustration I get when I'm stuck in those situations where I have no options but to "get over it."

Also I want to mention, the basement was completely furnished, there was carpeting and wall paper, even a TV and a bathroom. it's not like I was stuck in a cold concrete room or anything. I went on a week long vacation with this same family two years ago, and then we all just hunkered down in the same motel room. Its not like I never got any resolution to it. Its just definitely stuck with me in a way I don't really like.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited for the remake. Once I get it in my hands, I'm going to be on Cloud 9! Pardon the pun. I just have not been having the best time lately. But then again, who has?

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of people would lock a child in a basement. Your reaction is totally understandable and even reasonable, Odysseus.

PS edited to add that you're obviously still friends with them, so they can't be all bad. It's just... my kids always had co-ed sleepovers, and we never separated anybody, and we never had any problems

Anyway, I came here to say
1. I am way too busy to play FFVIIR right now anyway
2. I saw Rufus and I think they got him right

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
In what is perhaps good news for those wishing to avoid spoilers, SE is taking down videos everywhere. This guy had about 13 or so uploaded (just beyond the 5th Reactor mission), and had last uploaded a part about 2-3hrs ago before SE took them all down.

aAPCNhy.png
Yeah.. some hero last night put the ending up on youtube. Because I look at a lot of remake stuff it was showing on my home screen. Luckily I was able to breeze past it without seeing the thumbnail.

People will do anything for one moment of attention these days...

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I don’t know why I didn’t think to cross YouTube off my list. At least I haven’t ran into anything there.

I still haven’t seen Rufus yet, but I wasn’t the hugest fan of his AC design (he looks cool, but not like himself?) So I’m very curious how he’ll look in the remake. Also, supposedly today is the day digital orders can be preloaded. I’ll give that a shot.

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Okay, a hypocrite am I. Thank you, I really needed to hear this. I had a long phone call with my friend, and I realized I've probably been depressed for the past few months and was using the remake as a crutch to maintain my mental wellbeing. Now that the release has been complicated, I think I had a bit of an emotional breakdown. Kinda pathetic really. I'm just afraid that by the time I get my hands on the thing, nothing I have to say about it will matter since so many people will have already beaten it. I already feel like I never have anything meaningful to add here, ha ha.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm gonna limit my time here until I get my own copy still, since seeing those chapter spoiler threads pop up still makes my eye spasm involuntary. Later days, folks.
Check out "the art of happiness" by Howard C Cutler. It helped me a few years ago after having two surgeries

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
In what is perhaps good news for those wishing to avoid spoilers, SE is taking down videos everywhere. This guy had about 13 or so uploaded (just beyond the 5th Reactor mission), and had last uploaded a part about 2-3hrs ago before SE took them all down.

aAPCNhy.png
I didn't watch any of the playthroughs, but I'll never understand why people are so selfish. SE did a solid by releasing the game early for some. That was the thanks they get? SMH

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
I didn't watch any of the playthroughs, but I'll never understand why people are so selfish. SE did a solid by releasing the game early for some. That was the thanks they get? SMH
Indeed. I'm still finding a couple of YT channels that are uploading videos or streaming the game live (or they were live before)... I'm surprised that SE isn't more on top of this. If I can find them... surely someone working for SE can do the same and issue notices.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Yep, we're in the final week now! unless your delivery gets delayed... soon everybody will be on the same page again mostly. What a relief.

Too right. I’ve got to resist the urge to scratch the itch. Twitter and Reddit are going on full mute and I’m having to do my utmost not to open the spoiler tags here.

I’m trying to remind myself that the vast majority are in the same boat here, and it’ll all be worth it by the end of the week!

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I'm surprised they don't have an algorithm that auto detects the audio and visuals from the game to get the videos taken down. Nintendo is infamous for that.
Problem is, algorithms don't know how to distinguish between legitimate use and non-legit use, so a lot of stuff that's perfectly fine gets taken down, too. Content moderation at scale is virtually impossible.

Top Bottom